The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Gave it a go in B grade on the 3R tonight. Flat volcano so bit of a draft and a short race only 25km.

I was hanging in the A/B group for the first 10km, then the little switch back before going into the volcano it kicked off and I couldn’t hold on. Was sitting close to threshold at 300w ish up to then, few surges and kicks I could hold onto but my HR went to mid 180 and watched the group ride away, kicking and riding 350-400w not enough to hold on to the A boys.

Kept going solo and we got picked up by a big chasing group. I’d kind of cooked myself but managed to sit in to the end but almost no sprint in me. 15th from 30 on Zwiftpower so far with all but the winner coming from the bunch I was in so that’s alright.

Happy with how I did, good training for time trials I think zwift racing.

Soldato
Tough one today, couldn't keep up with the cadence, tacx and a crux, 100 rpm seemed crazy pedal speed. I think I'm a bit dumbfounded with the way you are meant to use the gearing. How does it know your cadence when you can change gear :)
Ok, several things here. 100rpm is not a crazy cadence, but you might find it hard if you've not done much 'sweetspot' type riding before and outside are not riding smooth cadences (off-road/trails etc don't tend to be smooth)? If you are riding smooth cadences, sitting at 90rpm and higher outside happily then I'd check your setup. Quite often a small difference in saddle height can have quite an impact - you end up grinding and pushing gears, rather than keeping on top of them. If you're using the same bike then check your positioning, if you're sitting quite upright the difference in riding position to your 'outside' positition could be causing it.

Gearing. During a workout (like your screenshot) then usually Zwift will have set itself in ERG mode - it'll usually apply resistance to whatever gearing you're in to meet the power target. So the gear you're in shouldn't particularly matter - just you've chosen a workout where cadence alongside gearing does... Cadence is quite a difficult one as much of the time cadence transmitted from your Trainer is calculated rather than actual. Use a dedicated cadence sensor if you require accurate cadence. I do, as I found my Flux particularly bad at detecting cadence changes. During a free ride, gearing will matter more. ERG still on will be applying resistance to the terrain (rather than maintain your power requirement for the workout interval), so dropping a few gears to spin easier, works.

Urgh... FTP Ramp test on Zwift is actually quite horrid.

However, new estimated FTP is good: next training block, here we come!

I must say it is really useful having Zwift for training, because it really forces a discipline that would be quite hard to manage, otherwise. I am sure other training apps do something similar, but the avatar is also quite useful as a focus point!
Good stuff, have been meaning to try a ramp out as I've been putting an updated FTP off far too long... I'm too much chasing the dream of getting some regular volume back in so the test is at least valid where I need to be building from (rather than the recovery and not getting enough time to ride phase I seem to be in).

Happy with how I did, good training for time trials I think zwift racing.
Exactly that, Zwift racing for most of us is just a huge block of Z4/Threshold. Maybe I really do need to pull my finger out and ride some TT's ;)

Associate
it seems like my Elite Direto fried itself. the resistance step motor stopped powering up. Contacted Sigma Sport where i got it from, they told me to contact Elite instead. Elite then told me to take the turbo apart to show them what's wrong..... :rolleyes: and once i did, they told me they will send me a new circuit board and i have to replace it myself.... :rolleyes: let's see what happens next

Soldato
Llama does like a good moan doesn't he, but totally get where he's coming from. Pro riders, not taking the pro esport league seriously. Also not accountable for their actions - I hadn't heard before that the entire Cofidis team easy pedalled the first round, finishing over 20 minutes down on the rest of the field. I mean WTF. Whoever is administrating it really needs some power to get some respect from them. Hilarious state of affairs really! But that's pro cycling!

it seems like my Elite Direto fried itself. the resistance step motor stopped powering up. Contacted Sigma Sport where i got it from, they told me to contact Elite instead. Elite then told me to take the turbo apart to show them what's wrong..... :rolleyes: and once i did, they told me they will send me a new circuit board and i have to replace it myself.... :rolleyes: let's see what happens next
Argh gutted for you, but at least with support & response like that it sounds like a known fault, something electronic, with a 'fixed' replacement board. Still quite funny they expect you to do that yourself, then again, probably fixed quicker and a far amount cheaper for them and you! :)

Soldato
KISS Community League Round 5:
https://dcun.co.uk/kcl-round-5/

Good one to have a looksy at if you're into your power data. Nice perspective/comparative on how insanely hard these races are!

I believe most of the numbers being produced tbh.

I have no idea on the total pool of riders on zwift, but say 25’000 in the UK and 2500 are competitive racers.

On a local scene you might only have a pool of 100-200 guys to turn up on an evening for racing, which leads to 30-50 racing most weeks.

The talent pool is just so much larger on zwift there are just so many more of all the racers to show up and throw down that you’ll always end up against people at the same or a higher level than you.

There is always a bigger fish in the sea and it’s not about the bike!

I was too busy with work to ride this week and the weather was shocking.

Couple of zwift rides for me, rode the Alpe today, only 6w/30 seconds down on the best time I did last year, averaging 290w for a 53 minute time (3.65w/kg), it’s not the best but im pleased with it given how much I’m doing and how I feel. :) Paced my way up starting off at 300ish, dropped to mid 280s and picked it up again toward the top, HR about 5-10bpm under my 20 min threshold (185 on a TT effort).

Ridden it 4/5 times and I think I’ve got the gloves almost every bloody time!

Soldato
I think there is an element of cheating but as you say there are some good guys out there.

Guy I was with today can do 340w for 2 hours and weights about 60kg so pretty crazy w/kg. He's also a half wheeling wee ***** but that's another story. :p

Soldato
I think there is an element of cheating but as you say there are some good guys out there.

Guy I was with today can do 340w for 2 hours and weights about 60kg so pretty crazy w/kg. He's also a half wheeling wee ***** but that's another story. :p

Who's that?
5.5 for 2 hours is bonkers, I believe vast majority of domestic pro's in the UK could not touch that....

Soldato
aye, he's handy!!
Always a joy this time of year where the lads who have been 1/2 for years and had a season away then come back lower down and rip legs off.

Soldato
aye, he's handy!!
Always a joy this time of year where the lads who have been 1/2 for years and had a season away then come back lower down and rip legs off.

It works both way though. I hate him being in a 234 race but he got a knock back from a bigger race down south as he wasn't a 1st cat but had been top ten many times and top 3 last time he was there so it is in his interests to move up too.

Soldato
Back to back days on Zwift. Two times up the volcano yesterday just training, it’s a decent 8 min effort then a 3R race today.

Hung onto the A group on London flat course today. The bunch split going up the little hill turning off from the river, I didn’t make it but stayed close and then when going past the palace it got almost back together. A decent dig before the U turn and I closed the gap, those that didn’t were in the rear view mirror when we got round the corner!

Managed to hold on OK then for the next few km, I was worried about the down/up under the road bridge but stayed in the bunch.
I blew after 22 mins, just before we started the climb to faux Richmond park/box hill. It’s only a short effort really but I was cooked by then. Soft pedalled up the hill and was caught by the B grade bunch on the way down. Held on and rolled over for 13th which is one of my best results for a while and decent power PB (90 day) across the board.

Soldato
KISS Community League Round 5:
https://dcun.co.uk/kcl-round-5/

Good one to have a looksy at if you're into your power data. Nice perspective/comparative on how insanely hard these races are!
Pffft. Needed more data. Had to dig into your Strava rides for my data fix. ;)

The talent pool is just so much larger on zwift there are just so many more of all the racers to show up and throw down that you’ll always end up against people at the same or a higher level than you.
Yup this is it. Also I think that's where some of the misunderstanding comes from - about just how big the pool of riders there who are powerful enough to be competitive. Once you're into the realms of competitive C (and higher) the racing is so ferocious that there's nobody 'along for the ride' and there just making the numbers up. To make it up there you have to really be strong enough, so those that are the 'also-rans' are those with more fatigue or on a bad day. They're not riders who really are not powerful enough to be there. Also think that's where we see so much 'sandbagging' - riders feeling uncompetitive so they drop down a bracket rather than just sticking it out where they are. Also understandable as nobody wants to ride solo.

Who's that?
5.5 for 2 hours is bonkers, I believe vast majority of domestic pro's in the UK could not touch that....
Agreed. Mega.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/points?person_id=654&d=4&year=2016
<snip>
Harry tanfield was 350w for 1h40ish at the rothesay apr but he will be heavier. Scott was either behind or beat him in the Andwrside a few year back.
Maybe so, but Tanfield back then was 80kg+. Your guy can't be that light, his results & points just don't match/marry up. 5.5 w/kg for 2 hours at 60kg is actually quite a low wattage (300w) and I would guess his FTP being another 20-30% on top of that?

For a comparative, a guy I know has around 350w FTP @74kg (so 4.6w/kg) rides Elite and is quite competitive.

Something I read said that Zwift would be using the Britich Champs as a real showcase on what can be done with their platform with competitive esports. Fingers crossed it's more reliable than what they've found with KSL and such.

Back to back days on Zwift. Two times up the volcano yesterday just training, it’s a decent 8 min effort then a 3R race today.

Hung onto the A group on London flat course today. The bunch split going up the little hill turning off from the river, I didn’t make it but stayed close and then when going past the palace it got almost back together. A decent dig before the U turn and I closed the gap, those that didn’t were in the rear view mirror when we got round the corner!

Managed to hold on OK then for the next few km, I was worried about the down/up under the road bridge but stayed in the bunch.
I blew after 22 mins, just before we started the climb to faux Richmond park/box hill. It’s only a short effort really but I was cooked by then. Soft pedalled up the hill and was caught by the B grade bunch on the way down. Held on and rolled over for 13th which is one of my best results for a while and decent power PB (90 day) across the board.
Good ride mate and some solid numbers, how's your sprint as results look like the top 3-14th places where all decided at the end?! Brutal. but good to see 2 of my teammates up there! Swatts smashing an 11w/kg sprint for the win! Machine! And you got beaten by a chikken ;)

Soldato
Maybe so, but Tanfield back then was 80kg+. Your guy can't be that light, his results & points just don't match/marry up. 5.5 w/kg for 2 hours at 60kg is actually quite a low wattage (300w) and I would guess his FTP being another 20-30% on top of that?

For a comparative, a guy I know has around 350w FTP @74kg (so 4.6w/kg) rides Elite and is quite competitive.

I can't steal him and weigh him but I'd say 62kg is realistic and he's sent me photos of his garmin at 320w for 2 hour in the winter there. I've saw a 94 mile ride at 21.5mph average solo so I'd say he has the minerals but doesn't have the head sometimes which is what wins races.

He could be up the road all day smashing it on climbs and then end up tired and looking crap on results but totally animated the race. I'm planning on the do **** all until you have to approach to racing :D

Soldato
I had no sprint left in me Roady. Cooked myself trying to hold onto the A guys and burnt all my matches so when I was caught I was just fodder. 5 seconds of power in me but not the 15-30 you need for a sprint finish.

Associate
Cant get out at the weekend just yet so I’m stuck with Monday thru Thursday on the trainer.

Just trying to build my FTP back up after my time off the bike.

Im thinking

Monday : Big climb, Alp or Stelvio (so 1-1.5 hours at threshold)
Tuesday :Sweetspot medium or long (dependant on time)
Wednesday : 5x5 intervals at 110-115% ftp
Thursday : more SST

Does this seem ok or do I need to be trying to throw a few more different things in there to. I dont really want to do one of the builder courses.

I dont really understand training but i asumed working in or around threshold will help improve my threshold .

Soldato
Sounds like an intensive training plan someone would follow before tapering for an event. Looks like a great way to load fatigue! Really would make some rapid training adaptions/hammer yourself, but hard to judge what you need without more info. Any targets?

What's your previous FTP, how long ago, much weight to lose, why specifically looking at threshold, etc etc. I'd be worried about that much work with little base foundation. Especially if you've been off the bike a while - you'll just end up with such a training load you'll be struggling to recover or get yourself injured...

It reads like a good plan to follow for a 25km TT type rider, where maximum power is key for 60/90 mins. Good for Club hour long smash fests, not really for long rolling sportive/endurance type riding. :cool:

To be fair, it looks like the sort of thing I would need to do to kick-start myself back into fitness and recovering my FTP from it's sub 250W back up to it's previous 280/290W. But I can't commit to that much time training through the week.

working in or around threshold will help improve my threshold .
Correct. But doing that in isolation doesn't make you a good bike rider! :D

Back
Top Bottom