The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Man of Honour
I think that session is just hard too though.

I tried it with the last 3 minute effort meant to be 347w and I couldn't manage it.

Makes me feel a bit better... I guess it's all about progress in the end; the last three minute interval was absolutely brutal, so I might have to swap it out for the other Short Mix one.

I didn't actually feel too bad after it (I had worse DOMS from some of the other FTP workouts), so not sure what to think, there... I'm still struggling to calibrate my "misery-ometer" for cycling because I'm still quite new to the training aspect: what is my FTP, what is my most effective training zone, etc.; it is currently either "meh - can do this all day" or "this really hurts...!"

Soldato
Just enjoy riding the bike and doing the sessions and it'll come. It never feels easier to me you just go faster and recover quicker.

You go from doing an effort telling yourself it's the end of the world then 20s later being back doing a similar effort and thinking the same thing again.

From your other thread then you'll be training and riding on tired legs which is hard. First time trying some squats a few weeks back and my legs were ruined the next night for cycling.

Man of Honour
Just enjoy riding the bike and doing the sessions and it'll come. It never feels easier to me you just go faster and recover quicker.

You go from doing an effort telling yourself it's the end of the world then 20s later being back doing a similar effort and thinking the same thing again.

From your other thread then you'll be training and riding on tired legs which is hard. First time trying some squats a few weeks back and my legs were ruined the next night for cycling.

*chuckles*

Technically, I don't actually enjoy cycling per se but I enjoy pushing harder and faster (same with squatting - I don't necessarily enjoy it, but i like getting stronger/(not much) bigger/(very much) uglier)... if that makes sense. My entire goal for cycling is to try and manage the 25 mile in/25 mile out commute to work faster than I can do it by car (currently 1.5hrs each way); not necessarily constructive, but definitely interesting. :)

Soldato
Cheers guys, I live in Norfolk so no idea what a hill is obv!!

I did the ftp test on Zwift today and held 209 for the 20 mins, I probably could have pushed it a little higher but it felt like I gave it a proper go! I will have a look at some races and general courses and forget the training plan idea until winter hits again.
That's a good starting point. Getting that number down gives you a base line if nothing else. FTP tests are much like riding a TT (so I've heard), you basically go too easy and even emptying the tank at the end feel like you've got something left over and could've gone harder. Or you totally nail yourself too early and either hang on or have to stop/bail! Then again pushing yourself deep into threshold and being able to hang on in there is something you'll get good at doing...

Urgh... Did Emily's Short Mix this evening and that was HARD. All the more galling because I had to take two pauses for drinks, too - and it's only 30 minutes! :D
Pauses for drinks?! What madness is that?! :o

Threw myself into a ramp test last night. Didn't have time for anything more and had missed the start to any of the shorter races... So thought, why not!

Was more fatigued/tired than usual, riding later and without a long or good warm up. It came out with my FTP at 249W which is bang on where I estimate it to be at the moment! To be fair I really felt like I should've been able to go a few ramps deeper than I did...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2297809569

I'm still not totally convinced and I'll explain why... I've not taken a 20 minute test for a while but had estimated my FTP at around 250W from race efforts. It certainly didn't fatigue my legs like a 20 minute test (check the data, I blew up on 320W, rested a few minutes then did the 340W. I think I could've done the same and hit the 360W). I think with a better warm up and more favourable freshness I should go deeper without rests.

I don't know if pausing, recovering and going back in to complete the 340W will have influenced my result (as that's not how a ramp test should be ridden lol) and maybe that's why I'm so sceptical of it being so accurate! More amazed how it's spot on I guess!? :D

Soldato
Virtual Everesting on Zwift - is there a decent hill that I could do in the 7 day trial ie no need to get to any level or shall I pay the money and get to level 12 for Alpe du Zwift?

Soldato
I favour that one as you say it gives a good rest and I don’t want to do 100+ reps on a short one like URL where I live. I have to be level 12 right? Which is supposedly about 700km of riding so a 3 month membership should be enough prep time

Man of Honour
Interesting: did the Zwift SST Short session this evening, but dialled down the target FTP from 235W to something like 205W and it was too easy, so after fifteen minutes had it back up to 225W and it was perfectly doable.

Maybe I am just old and need a decent warmup (probably) or my setup is a bit like certain Strength routines (Wendler) which are too intense unless an additional cut is taken off the training percentages...?

Associate
Bit quiet in here
Talking of ramp rests I did the Zwift one a couple of weeks ago and got an ftp of 271 which I was very happy about. Can’t remember what I stopped on, maybe 380w or something like that.
Find that kinda test a lot nicer than the normal one.

Also started the etape course in Zwift. Not what I was expecting at all. Seems a bit too easy atm. Not saying I don’t get a sweat on or anything and I’m sure the pros who designed it know what they are doing but expected longer workouts.
I guess it will all come with the next 3 months.
Anyone else signed up to it?

Soldato
Woof! Did my first Zwift race last night on my first day signed up and blimey that was mad! Was somehow in the As instead of the Cs but as I had little idea what was going on I don’t think it mattered! Shot off the start line and was just hanging on before popping out a group and dropping back to the next. Was on my limit the whole time and lost contact again while reaching for my phone. Found two more to work with for a bit until I tried to take a flier with 1k to go and got passed again. I clearly don’t understand how to draft properly or what group to aim for (was hard to see all the details on my iPad) but was a really hard 50 minutes at 170bpm. I can see the appeal!

Man of Honour
Woof! Did my first Zwift race last night on my first day signed up and blimey that was mad! Was somehow in the As instead of the Cs but as I had little idea what was going on I don’t think it mattered! Shot off the start line and was just hanging on before popping out a group and dropping back to the next. Was on my limit the whole time and lost contact again while reaching for my phone. Found two more to work with for a bit until I tried to take a flier with 1k to go and got passed again. I clearly don’t understand how to draft properly or what group to aim for (was hard to see all the details on my iPad) but was a really hard 50 minutes at 170bpm. I can see the appeal!

I will have to do one of these at some point... just need to be able to last 50 minutes. :p

Soldato
Did another Zwift ramp test on Friday evening and Sunday lunchtime...
https://www.strava.com/activities/2321056135/analysis
https://www.strava.com/activities/2325151674/analysis

Up until the Sunday test, I've always used a route that uses Alpe Du Zwift, thinking it has more climbing and so I cover less distance for my Watts (making more use of the 25Km of free trial per month). But I discovered that at least for ramp test where you finish by the 400W interval, you cover more elevation on the New York Gran Central loop... So despite seeing my estimated FTP drop in April due to now ~6 weeks of very little power training due to lurgy, I managed to get three ramp tests done in the free trail!

Severely struggled on Friday night's final interval, my cadence went right down and consequently my Direto couldn't get ERG mode anywhere near 380W, so I ended up with an estimated FTP of 269W.

Sunday lunchtime's effort was still a struggle on that 380W interval, but I managed to keep my legs turning a little faster and thereby improve the interval Watt average a little, so the estimated FTP was 273W... And I then went out to ride ~49 miles with a modest Normalised Power of ~218W, which really goes to show just how less fatiguing this ramp test is compared to a sustained 20min power effort.

Bit gutting to see all my winter turbo trainer power gains all wiped out by this poor health and lack of training, it's going to take a while to to get anywhere close to the 314W I averaged for 20mins back on 2nd March and get agonisingly close (298.2W) to my aim of of 20min 95% FTP estimate of 300W.

Soldato
I had my first group ride on Zwift today, a catch-up stage one of the Tour of Watopia - it was a whole load of ‘fun’ and my initial goal of not being last was met 42nd out of 86 but more than that was how everyone interacted! Being in a group and then trying to reel in other riders became addictive - I possibly went too easy at the start, too hard in the middle and then didn’t push at all at the end but a fascinating experience none the less!

Living in Norfolk we have to climbs and there wasn’t much on this stage but defi more than I’m used to when I’m out and about, dropping my main competitor (was a group of 5 of us and one name was nominated as my must beat because ‘J Hare’ was clearly Jon Hare of cannon fodder fame :D) on a climb and finishing a couple of mins ahead of him was strangely pleasing!

I did however have a go on a Wahoo Kickr yesterday and it felt incredible, freewheeling was a game changer and while my vortex has been a great into I can see another purchase looming on the horizon!

Bravo Zwift, I’ve ridden a turbo before and indoor bikes at the work gym but they are horrible soul crushing torture devices but just having an iPad running an app and some smart interactivity makes the experience compelling.

Soldato
Think my Kickr Core has turned into a Clickr Core again though. :mad:

Will try it again tomorrow and see if I'm going to have to send it back for a second time…

Just to update everyone: after this post, my Core went back to being nice a quiet for a while, but recently started clicking again and this time it was terminal.

I contacted Wahoo directly instead of just going back through CRC and they were fantastic — the sent out a new unit straight away and are only now worrying about collecting the faulty one.

The support guy said they would be sending me a 'tested unit' which is supposed to mitigate the problem. Interestingly, the shipping note and a sticker on the box described this new one as a 'Kickr Core Platinum' which I can only assume is their internal code for 'we figured out the problem and these ones are fixed'. :D

Fingers crossed this solves it… only time will tell. This is what I get for buying a first-gen product!

Soldato
Just to update everyone: after this post, my Core went back to being nice a quiet for a while, but recently started clicking again and this time it was terminal.

I contacted Wahoo directly instead of just going back through CRC and they were fantastic — the sent out a new unit straight away and are only now worrying about collecting the faulty one.

The support guy said they would be sending me a 'tested unit' which is supposed to mitigate the problem. Interestingly, the shipping note and a sticker on the box described this new one as a 'Kickr Core Platinum' which I can only assume is their internal code for 'we figured out the problem and these ones are fixed'. :D

Fingers crossed this solves it… only time will tell. This is what I get for buying a first-gen product!

I just watched a video on dcrainmakers channel where they explain the issue and confirm new models shouldn’t get it, basically something comes loose during shipping etc and will lead to the clicking - easy repair at home or new ones that won’t have the issue!

Glad to hear you got good service, it’s the one I fancy upgrading too!

Soldato
I just watched a video on dcrainmakers channel where they explain the issue and confirm new models shouldn’t get it, basically something comes loose during shipping etc and will lead to the clicking - easy repair at home or new ones that won’t have the issue!

Glad to hear you got good service, it’s the one I fancy upgrading too!
Ah interesting, thanks for the info.

I’ll be honest, after the first one went wrong I stopped looking online for solutions and just though **** it, I’ll send it back. :D

Other than the clicking, I’ve been really pleased with it. I would definitely recommend it if you’re after a smart direct drive and don’t want to pay full-whack for the ‘proper’ Kickr or the Tacx Neo.

I think my only other (small) criticism is that when you’re doing sprints on Trainer Road in EGR mode and there are high-power spikes for short periods (like 10 seconds), it doesn’t adapt to the power fast enough so you end up ‘failing’ the segment. However, I think this is a fairly common issue with trainers in general and while the more expensive models might be better at this, I don’t think the added price tag is worth it just for this.

Back
Top Bottom