The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
The Yorkshire course is punchy! They’re right when they say there’s almost no flat parts with a few 15%+ kickers. Well done Zwift for creating these courses so we can try it out. It does feel weird though to ride on the left in some very normal looking scenery rather than Watopian

It's still not lumpy and grippy enough to mimic actual Yorkshire :p
Also, it's sunshine and blue skies. Did they even go to Yorkshire before creating the course? :p

Soldato
I gave it a shot last night (2nd effort I think, previous effort was just a cruise in the days after it was unveiled), doesn't 'feel' lumpy at all to me:

https://www.strava.com/activities/2720604687

Do the other longer "route". It is pretty constant climby compared just the short UCI worlds route you done.
I was on it at 11pm last night. Got 2 KOM jerseys and a bloody sprint jersey :p :p
Yorkshire course is totally naff. I think they're better just investing the time on continually expanding Watopia now and giving that a whole host of variety rather than a bunch of half-ass courses with nothing much to offer.

Soldato
Did my first proper zwift ride today. 20 miles around Watopia, just exploring the area
Very enjoyable & I can see why zwift is so popular.

Riding indoor during the summer with no fans however has its negatives....IE you sweat like a pig, the plus side I lost 2lbs on an hours ride.

https://strava.app.link/mlCKklUkqZ
I'm back on Zwift now the weather has turned - I might see you around in the Virtual World. I quite often bump into people I follow on Strava in Zwift, small world :p

Apple/iPads have the iOS app which is slightly different. Some releases and things are a little behind and there's the limit of 2 concurrent BT devices (and only BT). So once you've a smart trainer connected and HRM, you can't have additional PWM/Cadence etc without something else to combine data streams. Also can only use BT sensors, a few years back there where hardly any BT HRM's (before Wahoo TICKR). PC there's not the same limits, BT & ANT+ from a £20 USB dongle. Think you can get ANT+ dongles for iOS devices but unsure if that gets around the data stream limit.
I've been using Zwift on my iPad Pro for 2 years now with a Tacx Neo. The connection limit isn't an issue for Smart trainer users as everything runs through one BT connection from the iPad to the trainer. App updates are usually good coming through, the only slight delay I remember is when they launched the drop shop - it took a couple of weeks before it was available on the App.

BUT... you two have got me thinking about building a cheap PC to run it full 1080p 60fps | */Goes off to source parts :p

:: EDIT:: Seems 4k is an option too, though that would need the purchase of a new TV

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like I've broken my trainer.

Sudden grinding noise then the machine locked up. Now there is no resistance when peddling.

Just opened it up & the drive belt has broken.
Only a month old :(

Soldato
Ouch that’s not good - Maybe just unlucky.

Hopefully, although a quick google shows there was a problem with drive belts last year where they had been incorrectly tensioned so I may have an older unit?

I've emailed the supplier & Elite to see how we go about a replacement so see what happens.
Hopefully it will be fairly quick process.

Soldato
BUT... you two have got me thinking about building a cheap PC to run it full 1080p 60fps | */Goes off to source parts :p

:: EDIT:: Seems 4k is an option too, though that would need the purchase of a new TV
Haha yeah, I've still got my 'old' rig put to one side for this (Q6600 with 6gb RAM) but never got the time to fiddle with PC's these days. My 'current' PC barely gets used (have gamed on it maybe 4 times in the last 3 years) and was made from some second hand parts in 2015...! Maybe that's the one to use i7 2700K with 16gb RAM.

I'm more than happy with 720p on my 36" screen around a foot infront of my shifters, even that I have the detail down to keep framerates up as I prefer smoothness over detail (that'll be the FPS gamer still in me!), so going up to 1080p @ 60fps full details would be awesome and probably achievable with the hardware I have without buying more... Hmm!

Just opened it up & the drive belt has broken.
Only a month old :(

Hopefully, although a quick google shows there was a problem with drive belts last year where they had been incorrectly tensioned so I may have an older unit?

I've emailed the supplier & Elite to see how we go about a replacement so see what happens.
Hopefully it will be fairly quick process.
Should be a quick return & replacement as it's still 'new'. Might even get a straight swap from the retailer.

Did you mention you'd opened it up? I'd check the warranty/terms to confirm that hasn't voided anything. Also do some googling, if you're able to determine that it doesn't void your warranty, then mentioning it as broken/snapped should solve any annoying 'try this, try that' troubleshooting/support... ;)

Some trainers you can even buy the belts for them, IIRC I saw some for KICKR's and they where not expensive, like £20. Unsure if available for other brands (or self serviceable).

I've been meaning to take a look at my Flux v1 as it has got more noisy and they did have QC problems when belts would move off the edge of a pulley...

Soldato
Should be a quick return & replacement as it's still 'new'. Might even get a straight swap from the retailer.

Did you mention you'd opened it up? I'd check the warranty/terms to confirm that hasn't voided anything. Also do some googling, if you're able to determine that it doesn't void your warranty, then mentioning it as broken/snapped should solve any annoying 'try this, try that' troubleshooting/support... ;)

Some trainers you can even buy the belts for them, IIRC I saw some for KICKR's and they where not expensive, like £20. Unsure if available for other brands (or self serviceable).

I've been meaning to take a look at my Flux v1 as it has got more noisy and they did have QC problems when belts would move off the edge of a pulley...

Just had a reply saying to take the unit into them & they will advise on a course of action. I'm hoping it will just be a direct replacement.
I haven't said I've removed the cover to check the belt, but the belt is in shreds you can see it through the cover.
I've googled the issuse & it seems there was a problem a while ago with incorrectly torqued pulleys which caused the belts to slip off & break.
A replacement belt & pulley direct from Elite is €18

Soldato
Just had a reply saying to take the unit into them & they will advise on a course of action. I'm hoping it will just be a direct replacement.
I haven't said I've removed the cover to check the belt, but the belt is in shreds you can see it through the cover.
I've googled the issuse & it seems there was a problem a while ago with incorrectly torqued pulleys which caused the belts to slip off & break.
A replacement belt & pulley direct from Elite is €18
Perfect, I hope as soon as they see that = straight swap for new!

See if you/they can determine age of the unit from the outside to see if they've got some 'newer' ones.

Good to hear Elite do their own belts & pulleys!

Soldato
Right, if I were to buy a smart trainer for use with Zwift what's the go to now? Thinking of buying one/keeping an eye out for someones old one who hasn't got on with riding indoors over the next few months.

Soldato
Have a scout back a page or two for mine, although it closely mirrors and is usually based on DCR's annual guide. Although I'd say at the moment if you're looking for second hand see if you can pickup a KICKR/Direto maybe even a Neo. I saw a good condition Neo sell for £500 a couple of weeks ago. KICKR Core is pretty unmissable if looking for new.

Just be sure on what you want to spend and what your exact requirements are (accuracy/noise/thru axle etc), now in theory should be the time to snap up last seasons trainers but I've not seen many mega deals on them.

Soldato
Perfect, I hope as soon as they see that = straight swap for new!

See if you/they can determine age of the unit from the outside to see if they've got some 'newer' ones.

Good to hear Elite do their own belts & pulleys!

Good news, trainer was swapped in store with no issues, got a new one assembled in April 2019 rather then the originals August 2018.

Soldato
Have a scout back a page or two for mine, although it closely mirrors and is usually based on DCR's annual guide. Although I'd say at the moment if you're looking for second hand see if you can pickup a KICKR/Direto maybe even a Neo. I saw a good condition Neo sell for £500 a couple of weeks ago. KICKR Core is pretty unmissable if looking for new.

Just be sure on what you want to spend and what your exact requirements are (accuracy/noise/thru axle etc), now in theory should be the time to snap up last seasons trainers but I've not seen many mega deals on them.

Thanks, requirements would be Zwift/TR compatibility, accuracy, stability out of saddle and thru axle/disc compatibility, presumably all the top ones are all direct drive with wheel taken off, this would be permanently in the garage with the Road Machine being kept for warm ups at races.

I like my Road Machine but it's a bit old hat nowadays and smart capabilities would really help.

Soldato
Good news, trainer was swapped in store with no issues, got a new one assembled in April 2019 rather then the originals August 2018.
Good news, fingers crossed it's the newer batch without issues! :D

Thanks, requirements would be Zwift/TR compatibility, accuracy, stability out of saddle and thru axle/disc compatibility, presumably all the top ones are all direct drive with wheel taken off, this would be permanently in the garage with the Road Machine being kept for warm ups at races.

I like my Road Machine but it's a bit old hat nowadays and smart capabilities would really help.
All those requirements are all there across the top of the range and even much of the mid-range and have been for the last few seasons. DirectDrive is now fairly standard when looking for 'smart' trainers. Hardly anyone training regularly these days buys a wheel-on trainer. The only requirement to watch out for would be the thru-axle compatibility. It's there for most new this season, but many of last years will require an additional kit of endcaps to make them compatible. Like my Tacx Flux V1, the Thru Axle kit was another £30-40 (so I've never actually bothered getting one...). Think the same is true for much of Tacx's lineup (So Flux V2 and Flux S still require the kit), only the latest Neo comes with them (I think?!).

Other manufacturers do thru axle kits cheaper, some have it with their trainers, Tacx seem to be the exception in the mid-range I'd guess you're looking at. The KICKR Core comes with adaptors. The Direto has them too.

Sidenote - the Direto is currently £550 at Halfords. That's a pretty solid deal. Mantel have the Flux at £430 but that is the early one (like mine), you'll want the V2 (£650) or probably the Flux S (£550). I'd be choosing between the Flux S and the Direto unless you can justify the cost of the KICKR CORE as that's still around £650-700. But for that you do get a silent trainer, compatibility with the CLIMB, higher wattage threshold and gradient %.

Soldato
Cool cheers Roady, will take a look, thinking about Thru Axle that may not be necessary straight away as I'd be using this with my Road and TT bike this winter, just thinking future compatibility, will probably need to buy something for my Road Machine anyway in the near future for CX Races.

Soldato
Or just use as a good excuse to get a Neo, as you can use them away from a power socket so can also flog the RM... ;)

It's more the dismantling every week in the winter, got enough stuff to pack for CX and don't reeally want a 1k trainer to have to sit outside in the rain :D

Back
Top Bottom