The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Two questions;

Firstly does anyone know if Bluetooth (on the vortex smart for example) allows full control the same way as ant2+ fe-c?

Secondly, any ideas why the data in my gpx files is absolutely nothing like the data I'm getting from TR/Sufferfest? I fully realise that the power within these apps is not as accurate as I don't have a PWM, but it's way out. Cadence info is also...way out. I'm using my Garmin alongside the app, and it always seems spot on between head unit/screen.

Two questions;

Firstly does anyone know if Bluetooth (on the vortex smart for example) allows full control the same way as ant2+ fe-c?

Secondly, any ideas why the data in my gpx files is absolutely nothing like the data I'm getting from TR/Sufferfest? I fully realise that the power within these apps is not as accurate as I don't have a PWM, but it's way out. Cadence info is also...way out. I'm using my Garmin alongside the app, and it always seems spot on between head unit/screen.

Is the Garmin getting the cadence/power data from the same source as TR? Is it way out at a point in time or on average?

I'm quite tempted to start ToS, pretty sure I won't have the volume to complete it but with the weather looking stinky/frozen next weekend I'll be on the turbo anyway.

I quite fancy something different to Zwift for a session or two/10!

Last edited:
Is the Garmin getting the cadence/power data from the same source as TR? Is it way out at a point in time or on average?

[Estimated] Power from the turbo, cadence from my garmin cadence sensor. The sensor IDs match up (ie the app isn't taking the cadence from the turbo, because, how would it?).

Last edited:
[Estimated] Power from the turbo, cadence from my garmin cadence sensor. The sensor IDs match up (ie the app isn't taking the cadence from the turbo, because, how would it?).

I think the Tacx can make an approximation of cadence given power is a product of torque and RPM and it knows the former.

Is it possible one is giving you a zero average and the other isn't?

I think the Tacx can make an approximation of cadence given power is a product of torque and RPM and it knows the former.

Is it possible one is giving you a zero average and the other isn't?

Possibly...but since my garmin has cadence info on it all through the ride, why wouldn't it be in the gpx?

My laptop's dying, not really upto date with what's what in the gaming world but does anyone run zwift on an alienware alpha? They seem to be about£350 on eBay for i5 model.

My laptop's dying, not really upto date with what's what in the gaming world but does anyone run zwift on an alienware alpha? They seem to be about£350 on eBay for i5 model.
What's the rest of the spec? Zwift runs perfect on my cheapy refirb I bought without an OS (stuck W10 on it). No sluttering/performance lag, although I've not run fraps to check framerates.

Asus X550LB - i5 4200U, 4gb DDR3 1600 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M.

It is a bit sluggish to startup (has a slow 5400rpm mechanical drive), Zwift takes a good 5 minutes to start up if I directly run it when the desktop appears. I've got an old SSD I'm going to switch over to at some point.

The 740M seems beefy enough to drive 1080p on the HDMI port with no issues.

Last edited:
Your probably bored now but posting for my own motivtion as legs felt terrible this morning and was very tempted to give it a miss today......but Nine Hammers is was - disgusting it was.....

The Sufferfest - Day 5 - Stage 5: Nine Hammers

"In the end, everyone must experience one of two pains: the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret. The pain of discipline weighs ounces, the pain of regret weighs tons."

ToS Stage 1 done. My first play with the sufferfest app, anyone used it loads? I couldn't get it to detect my GSC10 and it keeps resetting my FTP.
Very similar to mine! I've got erratic speed and cadence data very similar to yours as the app will only detect cadence from my Vortex Smart (which isn't accurate). Which trainer are you using?
TOS Stage 1 down. Pretty sure the last 20 minutes of The Long Scream want you to do more than 105% FTP average if you follow the app power. Not sure how that is possible but did my best anyway!
Yup seems like it. My FTP keeps changing in the app but think mine was with FTP set as 250, the last part was 265W!

Just as well it didn't hold my FTP (270W) as I doubt I'd be able to do that at ~300W!

I saw a bit where you had an option of reducing the intensity down using a % slider (default at 100%), I'm assuming if I can get it to 'hold' my FTP, I just knock the slider down to 90% to make things easier when I'm fatigued? ;)
Your probably bored now but posting for my own motivtion
Not bored! Keep it up! I'm going to try and catch you up over the weekend! ;)

ToS Stage 1 done. My first play with the sufferfest app, anyone used it loads? I couldn't get it to detect my GSC10 and it keeps resetting my FTP.

Very similar to mine! I've got erratic speed and cadence data very similar to yours as the app will only detect cadence from my Vortex Smart (which isn't accurate). Which trainer are you using?

I've used app lots recently and use a same trainer as you (Vortex Smart) - same issue - doesn't detect the GSC10 on the bike but I think it uses the power/wheel rotation speed etc to estimate the cadence. (something like that anyway) - I'm not that fussed as it's killing me at the moment as it is!!

Doesn't seem to show the GSC10 in the app menu when searching either. Might have a proper look around after I (hopefully) finish the ToS.

I've used app lots recently and use a same trainer as you (Vortex Smart) - same issue - doesn't detect the GSC10 on the bike but I think it uses the power/wheel rotation speed etc to estimate the cadence. (something like that anyway) - I'm not that fussed as it's killing me at the moment as it is!!

Doesn't seem to show the GSC10 in the app menu when searching either. Might have a proper look around after I (hopefully) finish the ToS.
Yeah I posted that quite big reply in the main thread relating to my 'issue' and opened your Stage 1 ride to compare power figures and spotted your speed/cadence details similar to mine! Doh!

I think the speed 'spikes' in The Long Scream are from the app telling you that you can 'slow for the corners' (like the riders on screen) but then I know I didn't - much easier to just hold the cadence/power.

Have you used the 'difficulty' slider?

Which USB ANT+ are you using? Suunto? I'm not sure if the problem is the GSC10 or the USB, as much of the troubleshooting says to confirm that the USB adaptor is USB2 and not USB1. I've no clue about mine! There shouldn't be any technical difference between the two, except bandwidth! :rolleyes:

Omnium didn't seem so bad last night - all achievable aside from the very last sprint which was a killer. I think they missed a trick on the Flying 200 though, should really force you to pick a gear at the start and wind it up for the sprint like doing it for real.

Angels is the first Sufferfest video I did and I remember it vividly. Prepared for that one to really hurt.

What's the rest of the spec? Zwift runs perfect on my cheapy refirb I bought without an OS (stuck W10 on it). No sluttering/performance lag, although I've not run fraps to check framerates.

Asus X550LB - i5 4200U, 4gb DDR3 1600 RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M.

It is a bit sluggish to startup (has a slow 5400rpm mechanical drive), Zwift takes a good 5 minutes to start up if I directly run it when the desktop appears. I've got an old SSD I'm going to switch over to at some point.

The 740M seems beefy enough to drive 1080p on the HDMI port with no issues.

There's one for £389

i5-4590T(4 Cores 4 Threads), 8GB (4+4), 1TB 7200RPM HDD, GTX860M. Windows 10 Home 64bit.

There's one for £389

i5-4590T(4 Cores 4 Threads), 8GB (4+4), 1TB 7200RPM HDD, GTX860M. Windows 10 Home 64bit.

Thought about looking on the MM for something capable?

I was considering the same (AlienWare) but my MBP was due an upgrade so just put the extra in to that rather than having a powerful dedicated rig sat in the garage being used 3-4 times a week.

Y

Have you used the 'difficulty' slider?

Which USB ANT+ are you using? Suunto? I'm not sure if the problem is the GSC10 or the USB, as much of the troubleshooting says to confirm that the USB adaptor is USB2 and not USB1. I've no clue about mine! There shouldn't be any technical difference between the two, except bandwidth! :rolleyes:

not touched the slider - 100% set. FTP for me was 240W.

I'm using a cheap Hline ANT USB-m Adapter - worked from day 1 with TR/zwift/sufferfest etc.

Thought about looking on the MM for something capable?

I was considering the same (AlienWare) but my MBP was due an upgrade so just put the extra in to that rather than having a powerful dedicated rig sat in the garage being used 3-4 times a week.

I've been scanning mate but don't really know what I'm looking for spec wise. On one hand it would be good to have a dedicated system, but on the other I could just buy a decent laptop. My current one keeps over heating and is about 7 yrs old

Kimi;30479446 said:
I've been scanning mate but don't really know what I'm looking for spec wise. On one hand it would be good to have a dedicated system, but on the other I could just buy a decent laptop. My current one keeps over heating and is about 7 yrs old

This was my train of thought. I'd had a 13" MBP since 2010 and it ran Zwift fine (read: 10-13fps :p) but wanted something capable of more detail and a 40" display, plus more power for other tasks/use.

Ended up getting a good deal on an Apple refurb 15" MBP with an i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD and both integrated & dedicated GPU (with HDMI out) which runs 1080p High with no problems. I've kept my 13" for travel and a backup.

Back
Top Bottom