The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

I failed miserably to get on for session #2 last night, sidetracked after work and then it was so damn cold (and getting late) I couldn't face it at 8.30pm.

I had hoped to get 3 done this week then another 3-4 done on the weekend to 'catch up' before the 12th (the end of ToS). In reality I'm probably only going to complete 5 sessions, not 6 or 7 before then. Still, not bad for my first (half-hearted) effort and missing the first weekend! ;)

Temperature high today is 3 degrees, with freezing cold wind. Forecast is for it to continue like this at least until next week. I'm already fighting off some flu/cold symptoms and I can see me doing 4+ hours in my cold/damp garage making me ill! :(

Those of you who turbo indoors (not garages) have any tips on reducing the moisture buildup? The only other times I've turbo'd 'indoors' was last spring in my conservatory during heavy rain. The condensation/moisture buildup was so insane it took weeks for it to properly dry out and the dank smell to leave... I don't want that in my office/lounge! (I do know it won't be as bad as in a conservatory but still...).

The Sufferfest - Day 8 -Tos 217 - Stage 8: Revolver + RIE + Half is Easy

Awful - that was so hard.......the intervals of 15 seconds on 15 seconds off for 20 times is brutal.......87 vomit inducing intervals in all.........

Really hard mentally as well with such a short recovery in between each interval - you can't really gear down/spin down as you back on it so quick......

Without a shadow of a doubt the hardest one yet

Did 9 Hammers last night after seeing you guys talking about it. I moved my turbo inside to hit some of the Sufferfest (before my free 7 days is up). Loved having a big 36" TV! :D
20170209_195338.jpg

This is our 'second lounge'/home office (with my PC's in the corner). Oh and my coach. He soon got bored of my huffing and puffing though! :rolleyes::p

Yes, that's a dehumidifier behind the trainer... Just to hopefully solve any 'excess moisture' issues! ;)

https://www.strava.com/activities/860931834

Reset my FTP as 270W and checked it before riding. Yet some of the intervals I was able to easily hit the power levels?! Most of the jumps/kicks/breaks I hit harder and rode most 30W+ higher than listed on screen. BOOM! I mean it wasn't easy, but when it's telling me to ride at 'Threshold' and 'VO2 Max' I seemed to be able to hit and hold higher power levels at generally comfortable cadences.

Really enjoyed that one! :D
20170209_212312.jpg

Check my power! :cool:

Personally I think Sufferfest is a bit conservative with its view of VO2 max in the app - really 3 minutes is a minimum for VO2 work and 120% isn't necessarily "that" hard, particularly sat up at climbing cadence. Granted the recoveries are quite short, but it's not as bad as some VO2 work can be. 3 minutes at threshold shouldn't be that taxing either, just requiring a bit of focus to maintain. Nine Hammers is still a great workout though.

Oh certainly, I think the varying power really doesn't work well on some of those 'hammers' (they tend to start with a 'spike' before settling down). It can't really be a 'VO2 Max' 2 minute interval when it's only just above FTP directly after a recovery period. For me VO2 max is that top end 'effort' when I'm already at near threshold and doing an interval above FTP.

There's a big lag from the trainer (as always) so I usually find myself pumping 2 gears and push the power up to the level they're asking for, then as the trainer is on ERG mode (I think?) it increases the resistance (delayed) so my power output spikes really high, before I settle down and the resistance drops back to the level of the interval. Then usually it's already been over a good 5 seconds and I've dropped 2 gears so it has to adjust again. Doesn't help when the cadence onscreen is from my Vortex and lags worse than the resistance (unsure if SF app uses this?). I'll sit at 90rpm (cadence from sensor to head unit) and as the interval starts I'll see the onscreen drop to 70-80rpm then as the trainer 'catches up' (my 'actual maybe changing to 95rpm) the onscreen will jump to 120rpm before settling down again. Even constant 90rpm efforts the onscreen will vary +/- 10 RPM. Erratic!

You can see it at the start of the first 4 intervals here:
20170209_210922.jpg

After that I would either hit the gear change earlier (so the trainer didn't have to adjust so much) or just hold my cadence and wait for it (interval 5). Annoyingly the popups on the UI just show the next increase in RPE and cadence, not the power level. Then it tries to catch you out with a 'STAND!' @ 95RPM when the power level isn't even at threshold... Bit badly thought out as I for one can't maintain 90+rpm at ~250W stood, when I'm already doing 95rpm sat. Gimmie an rpm jump from sub 90 or a power increase and I'll happily stand! :rolleyes:

booyaka;30483061 said:
The Sufferfest Day 6 - Stage 6: There Is No Try

Really feeling the pain today. That was a nasty 55 min stage......sprints/climbs/intervals - had it all. Legs really aching before I started today......3 stages to go.

I did Nine Hammers last night, albeit at a drastically reduced FTP.

Maybe I'll give this one a miss.

I'm really enjoying the Sufferfest videos but I think I'll stick to TR this year and then try and hit SF properly next year when fully fit.

I may come across as moaning, but I'm really enjoying it.

Equally, I'm trying it out as a 'break' from riding Zwift (which it's been perfect for), but I'd choose Zwift every time (if I had to choose between the two). Just more immersive, much more polished with much more variation! Real Zwift races are probably more fun (not ridden any yet)!

Well the improvements coming to the SF app seem to be fleshing out into a full on TR competitor. Hardly surprising since they poached the TR app designer. This time next year, with all their pro-footage, SF might be hard to beat.

Things I've learnt so far this week during the ToS

1) I need to replace my bar tape
2) Old bibs dragged from the back of the shelf aren't as well fitting & comfy as your Sunday best
2) Using post-shave cream to moisture the (ahem) "tender" areas (as I'm almost out of Udderly Smooth) returns interesting results when the cream includes peppermint and menthol :eek:

#Chri5#;30490188 said:
interesting results when the cream includes peppermint and menthol :eek:

Bit FRESH!? Hahaha :eek:

I've got annoying stains on some of the pads of my shorts from using a 'Morgan Blue' chamois cream made for CX racing when on the turbo. It worked but it's very sticky and very 'toffee' coloured, as it's kinda waterproof washing bibs hasn't fetched the colour out and it looks minging! Thankfully it's only in a couple of older pairs of winter bibs, not my summer best! :o

Interesting you mention bar tape, noticed the Fizik stuff on my turbo bike is looking tatty. Considering it's only around ~10 months old, 7 of which it's been sat indoors. With 5 of them hardly ridden = Very poor! :rolleyes:
20170209_212732.jpg
20170209_212745.jpg

Roady;30489926 said:
There's a big lag from the trainer (as always) so I usually find myself pumping 2 gears and push the power up to the level they're asking for, then as the trainer is on ERG mode (I think?) it increases the resistance (delayed) so my power output spikes really high, before I settle down and the resistance drops back to the level of the interval. Then usually it's already been over a good 5 seconds and I've dropped 2 gears so it has to adjust again. Doesn't help when the cadence onscreen is from my Vortex and lags worse than the resistance (unsure if SF app uses this?). I'll sit at 90rpm (cadence from sensor to head unit) and as the interval starts I'll see the onscreen drop to 70-80rpm then as the trainer 'catches up' (my 'actual maybe changing to 95rpm) the onscreen will jump to 120rpm before settling down again. Even constant 90rpm efforts the onscreen will vary +/- 10 RPM. Erratic!

I've given up on erg mode after testing it out during TINT the other night, it's harder to maintain an even effort than in slope mode as resistance bounces all over the place based on the tiniest inputs like you say. It also has the unwelcome effect of hitting you with a massive wall of resistance when you hit the recovery periods, so you actually have to sprint way beyond recovery power to get the resistance to drop so you can settle in. Just not a fan.

I would much prefer it if the app set slopes according to the onscreen action instead (like in Zwift) to give you a mix of flat and hill work, but that would require adding a slope percentage to the onscreen info I guess.

#Chri5#;30490188 said:
2) Old bibs dragged from the back of the shelf aren't as well fitting & comfy as your Sunday best

I'd be more inclined to wear one of your more decent sets of bibs due to more demanding nature of a turbo session, that being saddle contact time is much higher and more localised than on the road :)

BennyC;30490975 said:
I'd be more inclined to wear one of your more decent sets of bibs due to more demanding nature of a turbo session, that being saddle contact time is much higher and more localised than on the road :)

100% this

I've migrated from standard ok bib shorts at the start of the week to my best castelli bibs for today and tomorrow as my rear end is struggling!!:D:D

Thank christ it's the last day tomorrow. Legs are seriously wrecked from todays Stage 8.

booyaka;30491028 said:
100% this

I've migrated from standard ok bib shorts at the start of the week to my best castelli bibs for today and tomorrow as my rear end is struggling!!:D:D

Thank christ it's the last day tomorrow. Legs are seriously wrecked from todays Stage 8.

Yup, I wear all of my bibshorts on the turbo regardless of value or how 'prized' they are. I'll use the older more worn slightly less robust chamois ones for short sessions and higher quality more solid sets for long 2-3 hour stints.

One More Solo;30489828 said:
Personally I think Sufferfest is a bit conservative with its view of VO2 max in the app - really 3 minutes is a minimum for VO2 work and 120% isn't necessarily "that" hard, particularly sat up at climbing cadence. Granted the recoveries are quite short, but it's not as bad as some VO2 work can be. 3 minutes at threshold shouldn't be that taxing either, just requiring a bit of focus to maintain. Nine Hammers is still a great workout though.

Nine hammers on the sufferfest app is actually tougher than the power track on the TR app - there seems to be quite a few differences in several videos actually

Found HHNF as tough as i thought i would. My legs are really struggling now, probably because the last few months my training volume has been low, so while my cardio feels fine the bits that push you well over threshold really take it out of me.

Tomorrow will be.. interesting. I might try doing it in 'slope' mode which they recommend for the intervals on RIE, it would at least give me an option to take it a bit easier if required too.

The Sufferfest - Day 9 - Stage 9 (FINAL ONE): It Seemed Like Thin Air

All done...............totally and utterly spent....

That's a very tough couple of stages to finish, Stage 9 is just grinding and the last 40 mins is torture. I swear the clock was going slower than usual.

Horrendous 9 days but also pleased I done it. Very very empty legs now.

250.8 miles/9141 Calories over the 9 days. Bloody hope this has given me a kick start for the fitness for the year ahead!!

Back
Top Bottom