The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Posted this in the cycling gallery by mistake!

Out of interest, what fans do people use? For clarity, my setup will be in a regular wooden shed, and as an extra factor i sweat like an absolute ***** when doing any kind of activity so a regular style fan won't cut it.

I've eyed up the Headwind, but i don't really need the smart options, because i will sweat a lot at 140bpm and so almost would need it at full power all the time anyway!

The Vacmaster looks pretty damn good. My head says the standard Air Mover at £50 seems like the sensible choice, but i do prefer the look of the Cardio version!

Last edited:
Soldato
I have one of those generic 18” steel floor fans. It moves a load of air but isn’t that quiet (if that matters to you).

I have a few smaller diameter ones for in the house, but I think the bigger blade size you can get the better, it just moves more air and cools more if your body.

With the rain tonight I did a Zwift crit. First in a while, forgot how hard it is pedalling all the time and how my backside hurts after! :o I have better recovery and pop from road riding but just the general grind with zero let up, not sure I’ve improved there.

I was a bit out of my depth against some better riders, I had a good attack second to last lap but nobody came over, it strung out behind me with me a second or two ahead, but no point continuing for long and sat up. Placed fine in the end and got a good Zwift power point increase.

Soldato
Finally got everything setup last night. Have decided not to sell my old bike. It was only advertised for £300 and i figure, it makes sense to use as a Turbo bike and then i can always put the wheels back on as a winter bike given it has 38mm gravel tyres, so should be grippier in the wet.

I went for the previous model Kickr V4 which arrived on Friday. One thing i noticed was that the gear changes were a little clunky compared to normal and some noise from the turbo didn't sound ideal. It was only ~11pm last night that i got the shed sorted though so had limited time. I might try putting the 105 11-28 cassette from the bike onto the Turbo rather than the stock cassette. Other than that, does anyone know of any known issues with this turbo? Bought it from a guy who seems to resell a hell of a lot and was only £220. Cosmetically it seems in fairly decent condition.

Also got a bargain with a Kickr Headwind. I took a punt on this from ebay, as a project, but despite them saying they replaced the fuse, i replaced it myself and the unit worked nicely for the 10 minutes i had a small ride. Whether than continues or there's something wrong elsewhere that caused the fuse to blow is another issue.

Partly debating giving it a week or so to make sure it's working, and then selling and buying 2x Vacmaster fans.

Associate
I’ve been using the SB20 for a few weeks now. Definitely a big step up from my kickr snap and cheap bike combo. It really is silent and can have door open to garage and not be heard. Also great to be able to do events as no gear change sound beneath my sons room when he sleeps. The position is quite relaxed so far, probably going to make the position slowly more aggressive over time. It also might help me transfer to a road rather than hybrid bike when I buy one later.

I have only covered 500km this year but had some of my best power numbers. I had a week of ‘training’ pulling a trailer up hills in wales each day, but managed just over 270W on ramp test (3.28 W/kg) when I got back. I also completed a race afterwards and averaged 252W, but there was a lead group of AB and few Cs and kept surging from 220 - 300 and had to hit 400 to catch up a few times which wasn’t ideal. I dropped and spent about half the race solo to finish 3rd in C @3.1W/kg so really happy with that. I've only covered 500km this year, so hoping I can hit B category later this year.

Edit - is there an easy way to know when the pack around you are surging on? I really find it hard to read and I suspect the ABs were just doing it for training rather than race given they dropped back to 220-230W in-between. Once I start to fall back it is really tough to stay and once dropped it was exhausting to get back on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Here's a video of the noise from my Kickr

I suspect it's not quite right, but wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. Compared to the previous night, gear changes were smooth so unsure if the RD had taken a knock but had then "settled" with riding a little.

There's a few noises of concern in my head

1 - Right at the start a kind of grinding noise
2 - When coasting (around 10 secs in), almost like a wharbling noise (is that a word?)

EDIT - Everything on the Wahoo site seems to be blaming word chains/bike setup, but i took the bike off and rode around outside and had no issues.

Soldato
Rearranged the shed a little at dinner. Think the layout works, just need to hack the shelving unit a bit for the fan to fit, and tidy up.

EnD0bjl.png

2REeJaF.png

Have a couple sheets of Birch Ply spare, i might look into making a rocker plate and a front fork mount to bring the bike closer to the shelves. Then have a decent shelf in front for an Ipad.

Associate
Here's a video of the noise from my Kickr

I suspect it's not quite right, but wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar. Compared to the previous night, gear changes were smooth so unsure if the RD had taken a knock but had then "settled" with riding a little.

There's a few noises of concern in my head

1 - Right at the start a kind of grinding noise
2 - When coasting (around 10 secs in), almost like a wharbling noise (is that a word?)

EDIT - Everything on the Wahoo site seems to be blaming word chains/bike setup, but i took the bike off and rode around outside and had no issues.
It can’t be gearing/chain if it happens without pedalling. Bearings on the trainer worn?

This is significantly louder than my kickr snap used to be so there must be something wrong.

Soldato
Winning. There’s a bearings place about 5 minutes from me. Popped in at dinner and then swapped them over this evening.

It’s now silent. Although there’s a spacer I only found when I’d put everything back together so that’s a job for another day!

Can’t argue for £5 worth of parts.

Associate
Winning. There’s a bearings place about 5 minutes from me. Popped in at dinner and then swapped them over this evening.

It’s now silent. Although there’s a spacer I only found when I’d put everything back together so that’s a job for another day!

That’s great news!

I did a race today and my HR monitor was all over the place (10 min at 225, then 120…etc). I was starting the return process and looking for my order email from May. Then I realised I’ve had it since December and changed the battery. At rest it is now tracking correctly so it may have just been user error. Hopefully it will work as normal next time!

Soldato
Out of interest, what fans do people use? For clarity, my setup will be in a regular wooden shed, and as an extra factor i sweat like an absolute ***** when doing any kind of activity so a regular style fan won't cut it.

I've eyed up the Headwind, but i don't really need the smart options, because i will sweat a lot at 140bpm and so almost would need it at full power all the time anyway!

The Vacmaster looks pretty damn good. My head says the standard Air Mover at £50 seems like the sensible choice, but i do prefer the look of the Cardio version!
Go the Vacmaster - although sounds like you've had quite a deal on the Headwind anyway... I really like my Headwind, but question the costs of them...

I run 4 fans. 1 small Honeywell right infont of my bars - similar to how you have your Headwind (which is in the wrong place, it's designed to be on the floor). I have the headwind on the floor, a pedestal fan off to one side at head height, not high airflow and there mostly to pull fresh air from the doorway towards my setup. Then these summer months I have a large pedestal fan (which I broke the stand on) mounted on the roof pointing down at me. Kinda the opposite to the Headwind, very powerful so mega airflow for the summer. Some cheap Aldi thing which was too noisy to use in the house! I get chills with it if the temps are below say 15 degrees in there - as really not required then lol

Most of the time I have my headwind on manual, as quite often I'm riding my hardest doing TTT's and don't want it to ease between efforts. Some of the group rides I have played with it linked to HR. Seemed to work well and I'll likely use it like that in the cooler weather when max airflow isn't required. A 'smart' fan!

If anyone is after a new trainer.

£750 which is still a lot of money but its a good price for what it is.
Good price. Worth checking other places too, I picked up my V5 from the Zwift.com store for £699 when they randomly had a £100 off weekend deal on them.

Edit - is there an easy way to know when the pack around you are surging on? I really find it hard to read and I suspect the ABs were just doing it for training rather than race given they dropped back to 220-230W in-between. Once I start to fall back it is really tough to stay and once dropped it was exhausting to get back on.
Good efforts mate, you're around the same numbers as me and I'm pretty much always borderline B these days - tend to race in B properly, the times I race in C I bump myself back up again or get DQ! So you have the power to do well in C - being tactical with it, is what will win you results. Much of that is watching the group (as you've found) and anticipating what they're going to do & where they're going to surge. You can see w/kg numbers peak on riders around you, maybe even going orange, but that is always slightly delayed. Knowing courses/elevations and what you're racing is a massive thing - you know where race winning moves are likely to happen. Also know when things don't work so you're not wasting energy chasing...!

Rearranged the shed a little at dinner. Think the layout works, just need to hack the shelving unit a bit for the fan to fit, and tidy up.

EnD0bjl.png

2REeJaF.png

Have a couple sheets of Birch Ply spare, i might look into making a rocker plate and a front fork mount to bring the bike closer to the shelves. Then have a decent shelf in front for an Ipad.
Good setup, although a couple of pointers - it looks very close to the shed 'wall'. You may find yourself banging on it and there's a nail sticking out there screaming to gouge into your shoulder/ribs when you sprint! Also not much airflow around you being that close to the side...

KICKR headwind is designed to be on the floor, so either drop the bottom shelf from your unit, or drop it to the lowest point and put the Headwind on it (I recall you're tall). Ideally you want the airflow to hit your knees/thighs up to your face.

Some kind of matting on the floor to dampen some vibration may lower some of the noise, plus protect the floor from dampness/sweat ruining/rotting the wood (seeing a wooden floor like that screams some kinda cavity which will echo noise/vibration as well as the wood itself resonating).

Sounds ideal. Well done! Which bearing was it? The Flywheel? I've had no need to take my KICKR apart, but had a Neo and Flux stripped down pretty far. Changed flywheel/disc bearings on both. Easy to do with the right tools and cheap parts (buying 'better branded' bearings for a few quid than they came with!)

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, will definitely bring it away from the wall, either when in use or permenantly depending on how much it actually gets used. I've had a few enquiries about the old bike on Facebook recently but do like the idea of a permenant bike connected to the turbo, so been a bit of a dick when it comes to any (reasonable) offers.

Have found a guy local that has an Elite mat and the sweat guard for sale for £15 so aiming to pick those up sometime soon.

I had thought the headwind could be mounted higher (there are feet on the back) which seems to bring airflow roughly into the right place, it does need a better solution though as opposed to half hanging off a shelf!

Yeah, just 2 flywheel bearings - 6003 RSC3. There are some other smaller bearings but they all seem fine and are apparently a bit more stubborn.
General guide here, it was certainly easier than i'd expected.

Since the above fix was successful, this was the seller i bought from. Considering they're the V4 unit, it seems a decent price and a few sell around the £190 mark

Soldato
God Dammit!

Took the Kickr apart again last night to fit the spacer back in, put it all back together and then found a rogue washer. Took it all apart a third time, only for the parallel key pin thing to ping out and be eternally lost.

I now need to wait for the one i ordered to be delivered.

On the plus side, i am now an expert at dismantling the Wahoo Kickr (maybe less so at putting it back together!) :D

• Haha
Reactions: fez
Soldato
I'm about to start a new training plan with trainerroad, first workout is this evening - target is to get above 4w/kg, currently I'm at 3.6w/kg (273w @76kg ish). Started doing some strength work with resistance bands too, they're no joke I tell you!

I've done a couple of the zwift plans (dirt destroyer & build me up) but was already finding the choice a bit lacking, trainerroad seems just the ticket with the adaptive training stuff, so we'll see what the next few months brings! The plan is 6 weeks of sweet spot base, followed by another of the same, then 8 weeks targeting 'short power' in the build phase, then 8 weeks in the speciality phase, based around enduro/gravity riding.

300+w FTP here I come! :D

Soldato
Yeah, just 2 flywheel bearings - 6003 RSC3. There are some other smaller bearings but they all seem fine and are apparently a bit more stubborn.
General guide here, it was certainly easier than i'd expected.
Good to share your steps, if you took photos. That site is good, but he doesn't display any real method with pictures - people doing this sort of thing will generally follow it by pictures...

God Dammit!

Took the Kickr apart again last night to fit the spacer back in, put it all back together and then found a rogue washer. Took it all apart a third time, only for the parallel key pin thing to ping out and be eternally lost.

I now need to wait for the one i ordered to be delivered.

On the plus side, i am now an expert at dismantling the Wahoo Kickr (maybe less so at putting it back together!) :D
Lol that's the key pin thing and why is it tensioned that much? The tensioner/pully should be carrying any tension in the system...

I enjoyed taking my FLUX and Neo apart multiple times, but both very much out of warranty... Going to hold off doing anything unnecessary with the KICKR - at least for the first 2 years while it's under warranty! ;)

One thing I'd say - in that guide he talks about using that aerospace protectant 303 spray on the belt. I'd be cautious as that reads like it's for protecting from UV and keeping the surface clean. UV is no consideration for this hidden component. The anti-dust may work, but a better solution would be a 'belt dressing' specifically made for the job - it'll likely preserve the belt better, while also stopping more noise/slip.

I'm about to start a new training plan with trainerroad, first workout is this evening - target is to get above 4w/kg, currently I'm at 3.6w/kg (273w @76kg ish). Started doing some strength work with resistance bands too, they're no joke I tell you!

I've done a couple of the zwift plans (dirt destroyer & build me up) but was already finding the choice a bit lacking, trainerroad seems just the ticket with the adaptive training stuff, so we'll see what the next few months brings! The plan is 6 weeks of sweet spot base, followed by another of the same, then 8 weeks targeting 'short power' in the build phase, then 8 weeks in the speciality phase, based around enduro/gravity riding.

300+w FTP here I come! :D
Good luck! That much time is a huge commitment... Do it read that correctly as 22 weeks!? So you'll be set with a new FTP (hopefully) in January 23! I couldn't do that kinda commitment - I get bored after only a couple of weeks. Just no variation! So really do mean good luck. TrainerRoad really is the best for proper training plan commitment like that. That or SYSTM.

I'm around your current FTP but carrying +5kg. I could/should easily trim a bit of that - my usual should be around 77/78kg not the current 80/81kg. 3.6w/kg would be ideal for me - middle of CAT B rather than where I am right now at the back/borderline at 3.2w/kg...

Soldato
:DGood luck! That much time is a huge commitment... Do it read that correctly as 22 weeks!? So you'll be set with a new FTP (hopefully) in January 23! I couldn't do that kinda commitment - I get bored after only a couple of weeks. Just no variation! So really do mean good luck. TrainerRoad really is the best for proper training plan commitment like that. That or SYSTM.

I'm around your current FTP but carrying +5kg. I could/should easily trim a bit of that - my usual should be around 77/78kg not the current 80/81kg. 3.6w/kg would be ideal for me - middle of CAT B rather than where I am right now at the back/borderline at 3.2w/kg...
There's ramp tests at the start of each 'phase' so one in 5 weeks, then 6 weeks then 8 weeks - I'm expecting to see gradual increases each one.

I like that I've now got a plan for the rest of the year, (and then some!) as I find without something set in the calendar I fall off the horse and end up not riding as much as I should. The plan ends early Feb, then tbh if I've seen decent results I'll probably start another! With the aim on that one of targeting a big Scotland trip I'll probably book for early May.

I'll be doing some racing while I'm still in CAT B though for sure, maybe once I'm at the 3.8w/kg mark I'll be a little competitive... :cry:

I actually don't think I'll have an issue getting to 4w/kg, weighed in at under 75kg the last couple of days so I'm 'only' going to need another 25-30w on my FTP, which is almost exactly 10% more.

I'd love to get to 4.5w/kg but that maybe a target for next winter! :D

Soldato
Well i sold my Wahoo Headwind for £150. With the narrow stream, i decided i would benefit from multiple fans and so this gives me the funds to do so.

Annoyingly the Vac Master is back up to £70 again after i'd seen it in a sale for £50. 2x £70 is still less than the Kickr, but i'm debating whether to spend the extra and get 2 of the Vacmaster Cardio ones given they look nicer for not much more cash.

Soldato
I'm looking at venturing into the Direct drive smart trainer world in preparation for winter and just generally to improve my fitness.
Has anyone here done this with a MTB? Specifically a full suspension trail bike? Are there any major issues I will come across? Will the minor pivoting action of the rear suspension under load be a problem? I will be locked out but it will not be completely rigid, there is still a small amount of give in the suspension.
I dont want to be spending more than £600-700 which limits me to lower end DD models like the Tacx Flux 2, or buying a used higher end model. not something I'm overly keen on but will do if required. Must be 12mm x 148mm rear axle compatible as well.
I'm very space limited, so I want to avoid going down the route of getting a cheap road bike just to make this work.

Back
Top Bottom