The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
To anyone who has one of the good static bikes, how do you find them. My partner wants to be able to use the trainer (whether she actually will is another matter..) but shes 5'2" and I am 6'2". We would need one that is quick and easy to adjust between our two setups. The big one is the crank length. She probably needs 155/160 and I need 170. Zwift have just released a new bike but it has no way to adjust the crank length.

Do you "need" the different crank lengths though?

I guess it depends on how much indoor riding you each might do, and i'll admit i'm not sensitive to small adjustments, but compromising at something like 165 would probably be fine for both of you.

fez

fez

Caporegime

I guess it depends on how much indoor riding you each might do, and i'll admit i'm not sensitive to small adjustments, but compromising at something like 165 would probably be fine for both of you.

Shes 5'2" with short legs for her height. I think 165 is about the absolute max she can handle and honestly, I don't think any of the bikes go much lower than that anyway. I don't know how much of a difference it makes going from 165 to 172.5 which is what it would be for me.

Associate
I have the stages SB20 and it can do 165-175mm in 4 increments. I’m not sure how feasible it is to always be changing the pedals over though, i guess it would depend how often they were riding. I wonder if she or you would notice much difference if it was just at 170 or 165 and never moved. The pros use shorter cranks, so we all should……

Soldato
I noticed you edited your post and added a cheapo Giant. <snip>

Haha same here. Elite Direto and Giant Defy :D
Haha, riding a Giant alloy frame on a trainer is a rite of passage! Hell... I still am. Rode 2 others before it, but first on a Direct Drive was my Giant Defy 1 2015, cracked the frame 2021, warrantied with a Giant Contend SL1 (which has only been ridden outside 3-4 times and probably less than 50km total). according to Strava that's done over 13,500 km now. The Defy had done 22,600km but did spend the start of it's life outdoors/commuter/etc.

To anyone who has one of the good static bikes, how do you find them. My partner wants to be able to use the trainer (whether she actually will is another matter..) but shes 5'2" and I am 6'2". We would need one that is quick and easy to adjust between our two setups. The big one is the crank length. She probably needs 155/160 and I need 170. Zwift have just released a new bike but it has no way to adjust the crank length.
Strange for her to be that low as generally 165 is 'standard' for smaller riders and anything below it quite bespoke/special. I mean at 5'2" she's not exactly small...! But in a similar vein you also at over 6 foot being on 170 is quite a short crank length for your height...

Probably 170 is the way to go. If she's not ridden that much to know how much she'll ride online, then she can probably ride 170 ok (as whatever she's riding will feel 'strange' for her), so cater for yourself who'll certainly benefit from the slightly bigger, than compromising yourself 'just in case' she rides. The ideal scenario is she is fine on 170 and rides it so much then wants a setup of her own... Then you can buy sizing specific!

So much of the current trend of fitter sizing riders down is to increase efficiency, reading between the lines that is trying to increase cadence for a given gear/speed as making the pedal stroke smoother at lower rpm doesn't have as big a change to the efficicency? Or is it more about the wider range of gears we're increasing riding on modern setups...? Interesting.

For me riding 172.5 all the way through until now... Medium/54cm frames at 5'7" (172cm) I'm towards the lower end of sizing, while also 'knowing' I've got short legs for my height, yet only now with the new bike did the fitter suggest 170mm is better suited for me. The same fitter ~4-5 years ago didn't identify it as beneficial/required for me (the same question had been asked about sizing down to 52cm frame but again no) and same for 2 other fits I've had before. Riding 172.5 on 2 bikes (winter/commuter/everyday & turbo) with 170 on my summer I can't say I can really tell much difference. I'm rocking less in the saddle (I have a leg imbalance) but I think the move from a 143mm wide saddle to a 155mm has had more impact to that than the crank length change. I guess much of it is conditioning, having ridden for so many years on 172.5 that is my 'normal', which will take changing other bikes to 170 and months/years of riding to make 170 'normal' - but I don't know then if 172.5 will 'feel' any different. :confused: :rolleyes::cry:

Last edited:
Soldato
Did mywhoosh again today, didn't go so well..

Turned tablet on new update, downloaded and installed new app then downloaded all the maps, including two new ones.

Seeing as I'm new to mywhoosh thought I'd do a ramp test, loaded up found sensors and click on Belgium as I used that map last time for initial test, system crashed to desktop (android tablet).

Reloaded but it couldn't find sensor, so I switched them off and ten seconds later back on, sensors now found I tried to load Belgium back in, nope crashed to desktop.

This time I reboot tablet, still can't find sensors so turn them off and back on ten seconds later, boom ready to rock, this time I chose ramp test but California instead, all loads up fine and I'm going okay but not to sure on erg working (pedals and Garmin are showing increase), I get to about 160 watts and I'm happy erg is behaving, then just as I'm about go from 197 to 207 crash to desktop.

I load straight back in and sensors found with no need to switch off but have to just start a free ride, that crashes about eighteen minutes in, at which point I give up and just carry on keeping an eye on the Garmin.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm, that was my problem with MyWoosh, it crashed about a mile in. I just left it. I can't use something unstable... it would annoy me too much if I rode for an hour then it lost it all. I guess I could run something alongside it to safeguard against that, but it's a pain in the bum then.

Soldato
Yeah I've had a few issues with MyWhoosh. Is rather they dialed back the graphics as well and just concentrate on getting the underlying system rock solid.
Not sure what to try next, see which is the cheapest. I've actually done a few rides just watching a movie.
I record on my Garmin so crashes aren't the end of the world.

Soldato
Well today I went back on it, although I'd installed it on my pixel 6 this time, it loaded up all good, found all sensors and I managed a one and half hour base ride.

The only issue I think I had was low wattage zones I wasn't sure erg was working, I was on 46/24 so dropped to small front 33/24 and it seemed to work ok.

There is a setting to take ready at one second or three second intervals, currently set at three so will try one and see if that makes any difference.

Back
Top Bottom