The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
In regards to the Zwift price rise, it doesn't help they did it as the weather was getting nicer. Had they done it in the winter it would've caused the same grumbles but people, like myself, would've been less inclined to quit.

Or you look at it that of the people that quit, 75% of them would quit anyway due to only subscribing for winter, then their annoyance has diminished by October and they just renew as normal.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Or you look at it that of the people that quit, 75% of them would quit anyway due to only subscribing for winter, then their annoyance has diminished by October and they just renew as normal.

I was of the same way of thinking as Junglist at first but others have suggested the above and I think it perhaps makes slightly more sense. Doing it going into winter might end up with loads of people looking elsewhere whereas now people won't bother and might just sign back up once they have cooled off.

Soldato
Tried MyWhoosh yesterday. It does the job for most things, but the Strava syncing didn't seem great (ended up having to upload manually, although possibly only because I put my Strava deets in after the ride), and there's no Garmin syncing which is a big pain. But is it worth £18 p/m for that? Not really.

Soldato
Tried MyWhoosh yesterday. It does the job for most things, but the Strava syncing didn't seem great (ended up having to upload manually, although possibly only because I put my Strava deets in after the ride), and there's no Garmin syncing which is a big pain. But is it worth £18 p/m for that? Not really.
I do prefer Zwift still but like you, just can't see the value in it for me now, shame. They should do a free version with ads or something.

Soldato
I did a mywhoosh ride yesterday, not set it up to strava as pedals and head unit do that, all seems ok way more device hungry than zwift think I was getting 5 to 10 FPS on a galaxy tab a

Soldato
New update out yesterday. Several new roads and routes to ride!

ZRL Summer Showdown last night, somehow took a 10th place up Libby Hill. A couple of extra points in the sprints but nothing mega. Teammate took 1st! But the other 2 (only 4 man teams) under performed so we finished mid table...

50 minutes is an easy target! I’m making pleads to all the gods if I’m trying to get 70 :p
With a 'real' FTP around 265-270 (maybe even over) at 76-77kg then 3.4-3.5w/kg (Zwift has me at 265W & intervals has me at 263W - both are calculated from my power profile rather than real 1hour efforts) I should be around 55/56 mins.

But with an ascent at 56min 21s (257W avg) already I know I have a good target - https://www.strava.com/activities/10452771694/power-curve/3360 - at 170bpm HR https://www.strava.com/activities/10452771694/segments/3175558128458032746 with a peak at 179.

I can sustain 175 and recover at just over 180 still riding at threshold. On the right day even a bit over that... So definitely another 5-15W in there along with legit reducing my weight down to 76kg (using a 'light day' rather than an average). Would likely bump my FTP by a few notches too...!

Or of course could do The Grade...

"Fun" you and I sir, are made very different :cry:
I love a TTT - leading a 3R Team (Nirvana) the last couple of years in the Thursday WTRL TTT's have 174 of them under my belt... That's not including a few others in things like ZRL, or the handful I've done on RGT/IV.

I did a mywhoosh ride yesterday, not set it up to strava as pedals and head unit do that, all seems ok way more device hungry than zwift think I was getting 5 to 10 FPS on a galaxy tab a
Interesting. I tried IV on my Android phone (S10) and it was pretty good FPS but I couldn't get it working over my USC->HDMI cable so not an option, I don't know how MW compares. Might give it a go.

Need to change handset soon so thinking an S20/S21 would be even better... But IV comes to AppleTV very soon too, so that'll be my preferred.

I had an old i7 7100 I put an 1080 into and unstable on IV the framerate wasn't great. Quite possible it was CPU throttled as a HP workstation with a crappy PSU, but problems I had (bodged a bigger PSU into it) could have been the GPU.

Soldato
It's a weird one for me. Whilst yes it's very cool and a great way to get an intro into Zwift and it looks pretty cool. It's still "only" a Kickr Core which is like £500, so you're then talking £700 for the frame. You could probably build something yourself using a second hand bike and Kickr Core for quite a lot less, albeit not as pretty.

Soldato
Are you getting a reasonable second hand bike for 700 quid though?

Its a lot cheaper than the competition and it looks like it is too. Feel it looks a bit unstable front end and definitely going to be noisier than the smart bikes.
The single BT pairing for the whole set up is a bonus though. Also like the fact the chain is almost a consumable part and in the all in one bikes there is little user serviceable when it starts to get old and tired. I like it.

Soldato
Are you getting a reasonable second hand bike for 700 quid though?

Yeah, i don't see how you're not. All you really need are frame/bars/chainring/pedals. With the Zwift hub then you're not changing gears so no need for shifters or any derailleurs.

Ok this probably makes it a little more expensive once you find a saddle/crank/pedals, but it's lovely and you then end up with 80% of a very good bike you could take outdoors if you ever changed your mind

Or you just buy something like an old Giant Defy for ~£100

Last edited:
Soldato
I didn't realise the Zwift hub did away with manual gear changes. How does it do that?
In that case I suppose it does get more comparable. I'd still much rather have the Zwift ride though!

Associate
I didn't realise the Zwift hub did away with manual gear changes. How does it do that?
In that case I suppose it does get more comparable. I'd still much rather have the Zwift ride though!
Single cog. You need the click as well which is a li'l remote you strap to your handlebars. Zwift then simulates gears by changing resistance when you push the buttons. Technically it's the Zwift Cog that does away with the gears, not the hub.

Last edited:
Soldato

Not a clue! Presume similar to any other indoor bike with a single cog and just simulating the resistance.

The Zwift Ride does seem a prettier more attractive option i agree. I guess i'm just cheap and would struggle with not going for the same functionality for cheaper. Especially when it then gives me the option to utilise the bike outside should i ever want to.

The event sounds great.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not a clue! Presume similar to any other indoor bike with a single cog and just simulating the resistance.

The Zwift Ride does seem a prettier more attractive option i agree. I guess i'm just cheap and would struggle with not going for the same functionality for cheaper. Especially when it then gives me the option to utilise the bike outside should i ever want to.

The event sounds great.
I noticed you edited your post and added a cheapo Giant. That was my first set up as I didn't want to put my carbon Madone on it and it was noisy and messy. Upgraded to a Tacx Neo and would never go back to the old wheel off!
Hopefully the picture is still showing. I HATED it :D

Soldato
Haha same here. Elite Direto and Giant Defy :D

The woman who moved out of this house left an Elite wheel on turbo. I'm debating using my dads absolutely battered Focus hybrid bike for indoor duties, but not sure what usecase it has for me with the weather being decent. I wouldn't mind a proper Zwift bike, but if i was going for one i'd want something like the Kickr Bike. Not some weird hybrid using a direct drive turbo and a Zwift frame.

Soldato
Haha same here. Elite Direto and Giant Defy :D

The woman who moved out of this house left an Elite wheel on turbo. I'm debating using my dads absolutely battered Focus hybrid bike for indoor duties, but not sure what usecase it has for me with the weather being decent. I wouldn't mind a proper Zwift bike, but if i was going for one i'd want something like the Kickr Bike. Not some weird hybrid using a direct drive turbo and a Zwift frame.
Can absolutely vouch for the fact they are infinitely better. You'll soon forget the price :)

fez

fez

Caporegime
To anyone who has one of the good static bikes, how do you find them. My partner wants to be able to use the trainer (whether she actually will is another matter..) but shes 5'2" and I am 6'2". We would need one that is quick and easy to adjust between our two setups. The big one is the crank length. She probably needs 155/160 and I need 170. Zwift have just released a new bike but it has no way to adjust the crank length.

Soldato
To anyone who has one of the good static bikes, how do you find them. My partner wants to be able to use the trainer (whether she actually will is another matter..) but shes 5'2" and I am 6'2". We would need one that is quick and easy to adjust between our two setups. The big one is the crank length. She probably needs 155/160 and I need 170. Zwift have just released a new bike but it has no way to adjust the crank length.
Ive a Tacx neo and there are 3 pedal settings to adjust crank length but obviously means taking off the pedals which isn't really practical. 175, 172.5 & 170. Loads of adjustment in every other aspect though, bars up and in, saddle in, seat up. They have handles so no tools needed (although you get a bolt too if you want it more permanent) and helpfully have a number grading on the seatpost etc so I have my 4 numbers and the Mrs has hers. Takes 30 seconds to switch.
I just checked mine. There is 27cm between tallest and shortest seat height.

Reactions: fez
Back
Top Bottom