The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Very pleased, especially as I held 240w for 55 mins which firms up that my FTP20 at 240w was spot on.
If anything you may find your FTP a little higher, Zwift having a fairly 'rolling' course (even on flat locales) will tend to lower your average power in a race scenario even solo as you'll be pushing hard on the flats and climbs (threshold) before probably easing on the slight drops to get some respite. With a group the draft effect means you get a tow various places so ride easier, yet you'll hit the sprints and climbs higher than FTP.

Really good bit of kit so far, done a little test run then a race, kept with the D''s for two laps then had to pull the pin :D and a 30mile ride on Sunday, all on zwift of course.

Blooming sweaty biking inside though. Looking forward to more races and group rides.
Good work, keep it up! You're doing well if you're racing already and able to stick with the D's on the reverse Watopia hilly course (assuming you meant the KISS race?). See you in B soon! :D

Keep that setting between 40% and 50%.

It's how much a hill feels like a hill, it's there to help trainers that can't electro brake over a certain gradient. So at 50% a 10% gradient becomes 5%, useful if your trainer tops at say 7%.
Lol I've not checked mine recently but I'm fairly sure I've got it set higher than 50% to not soften big wattage changes... Now I'm not doing intervals so much and just racing I should reduce it.

Hi Roady!

Interesting KISS race tonight... having missed a lot of riding I went for C grade knowing I can usually surf near the front and survive OK.

Quick start but OK I can hold on. Dropped a few wheels over the hill but only 5 seconds behind, usually comes back together on the descent, only it never did. At least 20 riders riding over 3w/kg.

I did 262w for the hour (3.3w/kg) 45 mins of that was with only 1 or 2 other people and we never saw C again, just B graders they were flying past....
Hi bud, did join on you but with very little time before the race so not sure you noticed! Tough one last night, C seemed really quick and well organised! 200 riders across all CAT's made it quite a busy one! :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/1235103751/analysis/0/3427

Didn't spot you in the race but I did set off hard in the B's. I ended up in the second group on the road, sticking with them for two laps but every time we hit the longer climb things splintered. Very little team work as most of them where riding easy @3-3.5w/kg for most of it so I found myself off the front/leading/towing a number of times on the flat. Come the climb they're all 4w/kg and I either had to bounce off the front before it or find myself doing 4.5-5w/kg just to keep with them! It was brutal but I could see where things where going - come the start of lap 3 riders where everywhere and I could see the large front CAT C group working well closing us down. :o

Within half a lap we where caught so I sat in and rolled a few turns, most of the group doing 3.5w/kg so it was easy to see how they'd caught so many of B. They where climbing at 4w/kg+ again comparable to the B I'd ridden with, really too hard for C. The last half lap things started to heat up and I found myself off the front with another of the B's I'd ridden with, I kept the pace up and went long the last 2 miles as I could see some of the B's who'd stayed away gradually getting reeled in but not quick enough to catch before the end with the group. I finished strong, 10s behind 3 of them in 37th place. Pretty low down for me, I was around 3-4 minutes slower than riders I've ridden with before. CAT C caught all of B up to 34th place (71 riders in B), but then 11 of those leading C riders in the big group got DQ (out of 77 C riders) due to being over CAT C limits...! :o

Soldato
You weren’t the only one who had an early dinner and regretted it...

I might stick to the 6pm races before food.

Looking at your times I could have ridden B grade no bother, C grade was faster.... ☹️

Soldato
That's the only problem I have with evening races, dinner at 7pm and a race at 8 leaves very little time for digestion! I don't know about you but if I'm riding much after 9pm then I struggle to sleep well at 10/11pm. Need to unwind and chill! Thankfully that night was pasta bake & garlic bread so settled quite well & quickly. Curry is good if not too spicy but fajitas are one of the worst, just a heads up! ;)

For me I would struggle to ride before dinner, by the time I get home from work it's usually 6pm, time to sort my work stuff/bag out, see the mrs, dog & child and then any dinner prep leaves things fairly tight already! The only thought I had was to get home from work earlier (technically I finish at 5 so should be home before 5:30) and then do an hour, the only issue is wearing my autumn/winter kit in the garage would lead to rapid overheating! If I've gotta grab shorts & jersey from inside (+ laptop) then I can't really ride before dinner. Vicious circle really! One thought is to sort my old PC out/rebuild into a dedicated Zwift rig and leave it in the garage. Q6600, AMD 7950 & 6gb RAM. Should run it fine as I do have a spare 256gb SSD... :cool:

https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=13459

B was slow, or my part of the race was, there's no other way to describe it! My finish time was 57 mins and I was one of the stronger from the group which split up, others I'd ridden with where slower (Masterson 60min, Hoskins 59:20, Longva 58:42 & Beck 57:31). Brian Rhoden (regular rider & streamer was 59:32) and I'm usually a group or two ahead of him so he was maybe closer to me than I'd expect. The only rider up front (I've ridden & finished with several times before) is Rai Papa who finished a little over 54 minutes in 18th place so that's where I should've been around. Looking at times he was on the tail end of the front group, so it was quite a large one with another group 1min 30 behind.

Last edited:
Associate
Just ordered a trainer.
Both excited and scared. I really hope I enjoy it, or at least reap the benefits of having one. They're not exactly cheap!

Soldato
Good work, keep it up! You're doing well if you're racing already and able to stick with the D's on the reverse Watopia hilly course (assuming you meant the KISS race?). See you in B soon! :D

Lol I've not checked mine recently but I'm fairly sure I've got it set higher than 50% to not soften big wattage changes... Now I'm not doing intervals so much and just racing I should reduce it.

No was a flat race WBR 4 Flat Race

Had a 31mile ride around the London map on sunday and 25miles of the three sisters last night, those climbs dont stop! didn't realise id be climbing so soon up to radio tower after first climb :D

Looking forward to another race though, even more motivation than general rides.

I'll stick to 50% then as my Tacx flow goes to 7%, seems fine to me anyway.

Soldato
I did an earlier PRS race tonight at 6:15, flat wattopia.

Good race but doesn’t have the numbers of the KISS races. 28 in B.

Harder out the gate than C as you’d expect, dropped 3-5 riders.

I was holding on, the bunch split towards the end of the lap punching up the climb after the sprint/bridge. I was in the middle somewhere, gal opened up and never got closed. We had 5 guys (dropped 3 others behind us) but I was pretty done in and couldn’t ride 4+w to try and close, held it at 12 seconds for ages but never eased up in front and game over.

Overall pace not too bad, but need more punch to get over the hills, something that’s hard to get on the trainer I find compared to road riding.

Ran the log from my desktop pc through the zwift analyser, no ant+ errors with an extension cable for the dongle. Still only on medium graphics settings, you need a pretty good card to bump it up! Zwift doesn’t seem to demand much from the cpu or ram, just dumps it all on the graphics card.

Last edited:
Soldato
I quite like the look of the EVR Europe race 8pm tonight - it's only 18.5 miles so well under an hours work, only problem is I'm knackered. :p

Anyone spinning tonight?

Soldato
No was a flat race WBR 4 Flat Race<snip>
I'll stick to 50% then as my Tacx flow goes to 7%, seems fine to me anyway.
I'm a huge fan of the WBR rides and I'm actually riding around in the WBR kit most of the time.

Dropped my Vortex down to around 40% (hard to tell exactly) from 75/80% and now the hills do ride a little better - speed is carried up them with cadence rather than a huge ramp of resistance and power spike. I've not done really steep stuff (radio tower) yet to see how that's affected.

Nice one! At least they hold their money, people pay as much 2nd hand on ebay as new
Agreed, there's a bunch of Vortex's on the wiggle returns ebay page (tri-sport_resort) and the going rate seems to be £260 on them. Only paid £315 for mine new 12 months ago! :o

I did an earlier PRS race tonight at 6:15, flat wattopia.

Good race but doesn’t have the numbers of the KISS races. 28 in B.
Good work, sounds similar to my recent races. The recent KISS ones have been brutal, really needing 4w/kg to be anywhere near the front group(s). I'm kinda going off KISS races due to how busy they are and the amount of fliers.

I quite like the look of the EVR Europe race 8pm tonight - it's only 18.5 miles so well under an hours work, only problem is I'm knackered. :p

Anyone spinning tonight?
How'd you get on? EVR races are good!

I did a Volcano crit on saturday afternoon after dropping my weight a little lower than I intended, actual 73kg, not 70kg! Whoops! Still a mixed A & B group and it turns out most where A...! 10 laps of Volcano have been fun before, this one wasn't! Only 18 riders and within the first two laps lots of discussion as there where a series of known bots riding with us, 6 of the bloody things! I was utterly smashed after half a lap, somehow others where able to keep with the bots, some of which would be doing 9w/kg for minutes at a time before dropping back. Most of them finishing at 5w/kg average is only part of the story! Thankfully the race organiser was able to DQ them in results. :mad:

https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=13638

After my initial effort to keep with the group I found myself riding solo, I dropped back to ride with a rider behind me (B C) as he was managing the gap. Rode 3 or so laps with him before then towards the end of lap 5 we where lapped by the field, I kicked hard but couldn't keep with the group for more than half a lap. Riding with them had distanced the guy I was riding with so I found myself again solo, after a lap or two another guy gradually caught me so I rode to the finish with him (christopher jehu), good chatty guy so enjoyed the end of the race much more than the start! Finished without getting lapped another time, even though I took the last lap easy. Utterly brutal! Was a bit of an eye opener how these known bots are left on the platform, the 'admins' (ie Ride Leaders) not having any tools to exclude them from races, only from results. Zwift themselves seemingly happy to leave them there, regardless of the 'damage' they cause. Popular races like KISS would be ruined when/if they join. :o

Still, 10th in an A race! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I did one of the afternoon races on Sunday on the Volcano, ‘C’ grade up to 3.2w. Big bunch but split at the start so about 20 of us going for it really, decent race. I kicked coming out the volcano before the switch backs and the climb to finish. Split the bunch but then didn’t have the legs for the last climb and got caught by the guys I’d just dropped.

Good fun though and I enjoyed it more, maybe it’s the course as well but I wasn’t dying for most of it.

I never knew bots were a thing, and don’t see what people have to gain from it! I have seen a few riders I thought were odd in the past but just put it down to strange people/dodgy trainers or power/weight being messed with.

Associate
What have you gone for? Exciting! :D

I ended up buying the kickr.
It just arrived so I'm just setting it all up.

I have the perfect room for it, but I failed to realise that my PC is at the other side of the house. In the Enthoo Luxe case, so it's not exactly portable.
Trying to figure out a way to use it it zwift.
I only have Android too. Maybe I can borrow someones Ipad to use it with.

Soldato
Old PC/Laptop you could use? I bought a S/H ('open box') laptop without OS and with an i5 & 740M, stuck an SSD in it & installed W10. Runs it perfectly!

You can do lots of things to extend display/screen share etc but the key thing most 'forget' is getting ANT+ from the trainer to the PC. My USB ANT+ adaptor struggles enough with signal being <6 feet from the trainer, nevermind being further away! :o

I did one of the afternoon races on Sunday on the Volcano, ‘C’ grade up to 3.2w. Big bunch but split at the start so about 20 of us going for it really, decent race. I kicked coming out the volcano before the switch backs and the climb to finish. Split the bunch but then didn’t have the legs for the last climb and got caught by the guys I’d just dropped.

Good fun though and I enjoyed it more, maybe it’s the course as well but I wasn’t dying for most of it.
Basically the same race i did the A of on saturday! Quite a few more in your race and you belonging in B ( :p) probably did make it more 'fun' and a bit easier! ;)

I fiddled/screwed my weight at the same time as changing trainer difficulty. Will change it back to compare. So many 'weight cheats' as it is but I think I personally prefer my w/kg to be more accurate to make me push harder on the hills! :D

Last edited:
Soldato
How'd you get on? EVR races are good!

I did a Volcano crit on saturday afternoon after dropping my weight a little lower than I intended, actual 73kg, not 70kg! Whoops! Still a mixed A & B group and it turns out most where A...! 10 laps of Volcano have been fun before, this one wasn't! Only 18 riders and within the first two laps lots of discussion as there where a series of known bots riding with us, 6 of the bloody things! I was utterly smashed after half a lap, somehow others where able to keep with the bots, some of which would be doing 9w/kg for minutes at a time before dropping back. Most of them finishing at 5w/kg average is only part of the story! Thankfully the race organiser was able to DQ them in results. :mad:

I decided on some climbing work instead - so I joined the race (for help pacing) but just to get to the top of the mountain then I left:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1240845066

Hard work!

Soldato
Not as boring as richmond! That one is just snooze fest to me. At least with London you can mix it up a bit more if you choose.

Any news on the watopia expansion this month?

Very rarely ride London tbh. Usually just lock it to Watopia as it has the most varying terrain options and also changing views :cool:

Back
Top Bottom