The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
I did the Diamondback 40km TT tonight to vary it a bit (saw you roadie, but no drafting so hard to bunch!) no WiFi in my shed either to chat.

After a warm up did a TT effort, 280w average for 23 mins which was alright for what I’ve been doing, I’ll be happy if I can do some B races and not get smashed.

London seems to be the most intense graphically on zwift, I had noticeable slow down into single digit FPS I think at the roundabout where a lot of roads come together!

Soldato
New Road to Ruin extension to Watopia today... I'm going to give it a whirl later this evening. Anyone else?
8pm KISS race I think.

Kiss B ka boom!

Stupidly high pace at the start, riders popping off the back. I got “stuck” to a rider and could see the gap opening, really had to ramp watts up to get off him and back to the group, only for it to happen again only I couldn’t get across... grrr.

Annoyed me so much I got off after 15 mins and had a huff. Will have to go back to flatter races.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
^^^ Hahaha

I wanted to get the ride out the way last night so fed the family and thought I'd eat afterwards. Though, as I'm trying to limit my intake at the moment, I hadn't had much to eat through the day, so I was hanging by the end of road to ruin. It was literally a road to ruin.

It's a nice course, 30km about 280m of climbing, takes you up the up the epic KOM climb and then up around the new circuit and back down via the volcano, finishing down by the sea front again.

Man of Honour
Hey guys,

My dad wants to get involved with the indoor training thing so needs a trainer. He's seen my setup and fancies the idea of being able to have it in doors, have the laptop in front of him with a film or some music but still get his fitness up

He's got a hybrid bike, nothing fancy but could anyone recommend an indoor trainer that would work with his bike? Not looking to spend too much, £100 max. Aldi have one for £60 at the moment but can't see anywhere online if it would work on a non-road bike

Soldato
Not as boring as richmond! That one is just snooze fest to me. At least with London you can mix it up a bit more if you choose.
Yeah but Richmond is only on the schedule like one or two days a month so invariably I only ride it every couple of months. London seems to come up far too regularly, like once a week or more?! The days I ride also tend to only be Tuesday, Thursday and the weekend. Think Richmond is usually a monday and London tues & weds or weds & thurs?

(saw you roadie, but no drafting so hard to bunch!) no WiFi in my shed either to chat.
Haha no worries, when joining before a race I'll tend to join on one of my friends riding to mix up starting locations a bit, sometimes even riding with them for a few minutes if they're doing the kinda pace I can warm up at. Invariably as I'm always cutting things fine (or stupidly early) it's only for <5 minutes before I'm off to the race start pen. I do some high cadence stuff then to really get my legs going, so generally join on doing power and lowish cadence.

New Road to Ruin extension to Watopia today... I'm going to give it a whirl later this evening. Anyone else?
It's ace! A really good addition, the scenery and concept work well but looking at my exploratory ride on saturday the gradient isn't quite steep enough at any point (except maybe the bridge ramp) to really cause any interest/excitement in races. With the change in scenery I'm quite looking forward to racing on it tbh (being good on the flats)!

KISS B on tuesday. Fantastic race, but really busy with nearly 300 riders, 100 of which where in B! :o

https://www.strava.com/activities/1245271562
https://www.zwiftpower.com/race.php?id=13766

Hard starting effort but had to ease up as I was flying off the front too far, so I easily made the front group with around 40-50 riders, far too many really for a flat race! Teamed up with a local friend (David Bryan) and another guy I've ridden with before to try and split things up a number of times but totally failed. Found myself able to ride off the front fairly 'easily' (4.8w/kg seemed the magic number) and I was riding well but couldn't make more than 10-12s gap for any real period of time. Should've maybe sat in more as coming into the final lap things started to break up, I was still bouncing around but decided not to sprint and just roll in with the guys I'd ridden with. We finished 25th-30th, with me saving legs for the commute in the morning. Only 6 seconds behind the winner (results yet to be finalised), that's how big a group it was. Good strong ride and just the workout I needed, power levels looking good (around FTP 275-ish) which I felt I've been well below the last couple of months. :cool:

On saturday I did TeamZF 'Hammertime'. A lead ride I've done a few times before, good workout, basically stick near leader (doing around 2.5w/kg) and then he'll call sprints (usually the 2 sprint segments) from difference distances then you ease up until regrouping. Bit of a sprint test really with some solid tempo/core work between them, two sprints a lap and more of a C kinda event so I usually find myself leading out, calling gaps and helping control the front riders some. ZF entered me as the only 'B' so I 'won' luls. Explored the Jungle afterwards with a couple I'd raced with. 41 miles on saturday was good going and really enjoyed it. 95 miles for the week. 70 of it on Zwift, BOOM! :D

Annoyed me so much I got off after 15 mins and had a huff. Will have to go back to flatter races.
Tuesdays race was a flat one! ;)

More than happy to ride with you/lead you out if I happen to be in the same race mate. Next time message me and I'll drop back (if up the road) and ride with you! :)

Last edited:
Soldato
The Mayan Jungle route is a welcome expansion finally but for me it's lacking a bit in choice being essentially just a loop. I'd have liked another challenging KOM option for slower grinding as I prefer the projection of climbing myself not being built for leg speed so I can pack more work in shorter sessions.

Hopefully more to come soon.

Last edited:
Associate
3 rides on zwift now.
It's alright. Happy to be able ride super easily now.
Only things so far for me - When I use the big ring, the lower down the cassette I go. I start to feel a sort of vibrating through the bike. Especially the cranks.
I've tried to index it the best I can. But I cant comfortable ride in higher gears without a grindy vibration.

Im using a compact shimano crankset.
KMC chain I believe.
An ultegra r-derail
And the casette on the wheel was an ultegra. (could be a 105)
My bike is 11 speed.

The kickr shipped with an 11 speed Sram cassette.
I'm hoping it's the cassette and not actually unit.
Any ideas? thanks.

Associate
Are you using the cassette from your wheel or the cassette that shipped with the Kickr? I didn't bother with the cassette that came with my Kickr as I couldn't get it to shift smoothly and since you should always match your chain and cassette (from a wear perspective), I just put the cassette off my rear wheel onto the Kickr.

Soldato
As batfink says ^^

If the chain and chainrings where already worn (from riding outside) and you then jumped onto a brand new (unworn) cassette it would sound a little 'rough'. It's just at those higher speeds you're feeling it more?

It could be chain rub, check your FD is properly aligned, if anything give it a little more space in the largest chainring as the power you put through the bike on a turbo will flex the rear of a frame quite a lot more than when out on the road, more side to side frame flex could be introducing additional chain rub higher up the cassette.

At the very least do what you can to isolate where the grindy vibration is coming from, trainer or divechain. You'll obviously feel both through the frame, but being able to hear where each is coming from may eliminate one of them. Are you using a trainer mat to absorb vibration to the floor?

Soldato
I’ve been practicing on the TT, got it out and setup, hard to push as many watts but just practice.

I like the graphics and the cave in the new jungle expansion, but the uphill/downhill layout is a bit dull. The volcano circuit is more interesting to ride imo.

Soldato
The volcano circuit is more interesting to ride imo.
The indoorsy crit bit, or the outside climbs? Have to say I like both when I'm time limited as the circuits are so quick and varied! :cool:

Had issues with my laptop last night, it worked fine the previous 2 updates (jungle and the patch since). No update this time, just freezes. Zwift app launcher screen ok, but initiating the Ride screen it displays a splash screen and doesn't progress. :confused:

Wasted 45 mins stood in my cold garage rather than being able to ride. Annoyed, especially as I hadn't had a chance to ride on tuesday! :mad:

Check task manager and ZwiftApp.exe has crashed. Event log shows "the program zwiftapp.exe version 0.0.0.0 stopped interacting with windows and was closed". Doing some googling on Zwift support forums the general consensus is to upgrade graphics drivers. Knowing mine are older and I've probably just let W10 install them I head to Windows Update and find a bunch of updates which won't install. Some fiddling around & restarts I got most installed except one looks like the Creators Fall Update along with a DotNET 4.5 one which won't/fail. None of them where GPU (an integrated 740M on my laptop) so I'm not convinced I've 'fixed' the problem. Ran out of time, Zwift still wouldn't start (hangs) but a more specific error would've been nice! :rolleyes:

Still need to troubleshoot it later and get a ride in, thinking I might just stick the Nvidia v388 notebook drivers on as they're dated October 30th & will be newer than anything installed or on WU. :cool:

Soldato
Can’t fix your car, or computer, need to hand your man card in!

I got upgradeitus and got a GTX970 for the desktop, zwift runs super sweet now, can even go for 4K Ultra Graphics but then it is an 800% improvement over the GTX260!

Soldato
Can’t fix your car, or computer, need to hand your man card in!
ROFL... And they ain't the half of it! :(

You know you get those days where nothing quite works out and you achieve nothing. Well I've had a week so far like that at work... Nevermind all the personal stuffs! :rolleyes:

I'm let down by my TV now, so need to upgrade to a 4K TV for my zwifting... hahaha 1080 Ultra is not smooth enough :p
I've always been let down by my TV... A 19" dodgy no-name brand! Really need to buy a nice 36-42" to use! :o

Back
Top Bottom