The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Best smart trainer for £300ish? Asking for a friend.

I'm guessing Flow/Vortex.

As a flow owner not a flow, unless they want to just free ride on zwift. Calibrating is a pain (wouldn't calibrate with a trainer tyre on), when in erg mode it's really slow to adjust (if it adjusts at all) often have to change gear to stay at my normal cadence range.

Soldato
Best smart trainer for £300ish? Asking for a friend.

I'm guessing Flow/Vortex.
I'd hover around ebay and look to pick up a second hand Flux, most of them are selling for sub 400. If too worried about buying a lemon (fairly sure Tacx would cover the warranty still, although not sure is transferable) I'd say to go the Vortex or possibly the KICKR Snap. The Snap are a quality unit, about the best 'on-wheel' there is.

The Neo doesn’t now come with a cassette Roady
WTF! Cheapskates!

Thanks had been looking at over-ears as that's what I had before but I think those could work for me.
For the money they're fantastic!

As a flow owner not a flow, unless they want to just free ride on zwift.
lolwut :D :confused:

Caporegime
What are Zwifts training plans like these days? As I look to return to the trainer after a pretty dire year I'm still leaning towards the sufferfest.

I am/was put off by a lot of the gamification within zwift, but if they've properly integrated training plans I might have another look.

Soldato
"As someone that owns a flow, don't get a flow" I presume.
Ah, you're obviously better than I am at translating haha! Fair enough. As a previous Vortex owner, if I was really training on a shoestring budget I'd be happy with one. Certainly better than riding with a dumb trainer! :)

What are Zwifts training plans like these days? As I look to return to the trainer after a pretty dire year I'm still leaning towards the sufferfest.

I am/was put off by a lot of the gamification within zwift, but if they've properly integrated training plans I might have another look.
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/how-it-works-zwifts-new-training-plan-platform.html

Sums it up better than my experience (extremely limited & the time I tried it I missed to ride my follow ups, but it did bug me a couple of times via the companion app about needing to ride, so that side of it worked).

Soldato
Help. What the hell do I do with this as I think I got DQ or removed results.

HFFBQvZ.jpg
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=97311

I was in category A. Finished 22nd or something like that.
My Kickr had a wee drop out for 2/3 seconds only and by then there was a gap to the guy in fronts wheel. I was doing about 390w to get back on and they were just riding away which showed how ******* daft zwift racing is in all honesty.... Either way, I just kept pushing the rest of the race and done just over 20mins as a CP20 test. So I was nowhere in results and finished way back on the A cat bunch.

I am not bothered about my place/the results. I am bothered about being marked as "unrealistic" or having a black mark against me as if I am a cheat because it is one thing I will never see myself labelled as.

What do I do?

Soldato
Help. What the hell do I do with this as I think I got DQ or removed results.

HFFBQvZ.jpg
https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=97311

I was in category A. Finished 22nd or something like that.
My Kickr had a wee drop out for 2/3 seconds only and by then there was a gap to the guy in fronts wheel. I was doing about 390w to get back on and they were just riding away which showed how ******* daft zwift racing is in all honesty.... Either way, I just kept pushing the rest of the race and done just over 20mins as a CP20 test. So I was nowhere in results and finished way back on the A cat bunch.

I am not bothered about my place/the results. I am bothered about being marked as "unrealistic" or having a black mark against me as if I am a cheat because it is one thing I will never see myself labelled as.

What do I do?

I think the default rule is anyone over 5 w/kilo needs to provide to Zwift Power evidence of real life 5w/kilo performances/results - you'll then get marked as clean and off you go - no more DQ's.

It's s shame you have to go to these lengths - but there's a lot of cheaters out there (and sadly the systems only catch a portion of them).

Soldato
Care less? You know what happened and thats all that truly matters.

Not really if I do actually want to do some more racing on Zwift through winter. I do care quite little, just don't want black mark against me for future.

I didn't think people really cared about Zwift races, as I imagine many people cheat or stretch the rules a lot.

I just treat them as a more 'fun' training session.

You think pretty wrong ha. Zwift racing is serious business these days. There are live stream events where people are making prize money from winning etc.

I think the default rule is anyone over 5 w/kilo needs to provide to Zwift Power evidence of real life 5w/kilo performances/results - you'll then get marked as clean and off you go - no more DQ's.

It's s shame you have to go to these lengths - but there's a lot of cheaters out there (and sadly the systems only catch a portion of them).

I done a ZADA approval thing now to show real life performances and give details on trainer and PM used etc so hoping that sorts it out.

Soldato
What do I do?
You've done the right thing - submitting a ZADA approval. But I can also help, as I'm a RaceWBR member I know who the admins are and can quite easily get you approved for those results! I'll message the guys at lunchtime, the main guy is German so should get solved today for you.

You think pretty wrong ha. Zwift racing is serious business these days. There are live stream events where people are making prize money from winning etc.
Yup, there's even the programme to have a chance to join Team Dimension Data as a stagiaire.

CVR was the first with a 'real world' esports part of the package with real prize money. It'll be followed by others I'm sure. WBR themselves do various giveaways as we have sponsors who'll donate things. Wahoo and Tacx being quite main ones as some of the WBR team actually work for/with them. Have given away trainers multiple times before as part of the fundraising events we do.

Soldato
Nice one, thanks @Roady
The ZADA thing just seems to be a forum thread. I replied to it with details needed but I don't actually understand or see how the process works. It's not documented or detailed at all so I am just hoping I have done it right and it sorts itself out.

Soldato
It's a very wooly process and not really much of a process as such.

Just a group of the main Zwiftpower race team admins came together to share how they admin races to help each other and to have some consistency between them. Zwift provide little to no tools for admins - all they have is data from Zwiftpower so that's why ZP is seen as the 'official' results of races. The admins knew they had to draw the line somewhere to configure the 'auto' processes to catch as many cheats/fliers/bad-configs as possible to reduce their admin times. Does lead to some false positives and thats what ZADA is there to help people with. But ZADA is just a group of the race organiser admins, so I guess it's just a submittal system to add riders data that get caught into, so all the other admins can see it.

I was only a couple of years ago Zwift even acknowledged ZP where even listing results and they where happy with them doing so. Then GDPR happened and Zwift pulled their accessible API and ZP had to close it's doors until Zwift could restructure things. Took 6 months+ iirc? But all working now, just riders need to agree to being listed in the results due to GDPR.

There's some D C guy riding, I'm sure it's David Coulthard.

Associate
Just in case it helps anyone else deciding what turbo to get, my Vortex arrived at the weekend and have done a few rides with no noise complaints from the rest of the family as they couldn't hear it. Its in a room which was converted from a garage to a study so has quite thick walls. However wasn't expecting it to arrive yet so all the accessories I need are arriving later this week with the most important being a fan!

Decided on the Vortex as its my first turbo so didn't want to spend too much on something I didn't know how much I will use but wanted something smart to use with Zwift. The Vortex is meant to be within 10% for power readings, I don't have a power meter but when comparing to my output on the spin/watt bikes I use in the gym it seems to read over by about 10% at a guess so the power numbers I get are only useful to track progress on this setup so I wont trust any FTP tests I do.

Enjoying what I have seen of Zwift so far and seems a good replacement for the early mornings rides I was doing. Seems like a long way to level up enough to do Alpe du'Zwift

Associate
I’ve been on Zwift 3 months and still only lvl 9.
You can open up AdZ if you join on a friend that is past lvl12. Being a Billy no Mates I may have to wait!!! :D

Soldato
<snip>but when comparing to my output on the spin/watt bikes I use in the gym it seems to read over by about 10% at a guess so the power numbers I get are only useful to track progress on this setup so I wont trust any FTP tests I do.<snip>
Glad to hear you're getting on well with it, welcome!

The Vortex is good for the money, I'd trust it's readings a little more than you're giving it credit for - mine was consistent but I was leaving it attached & pumping wheel to 100psi (without resistance unit on) every week. So although there's some accuracy issues, it is a fairly consistent measure. The variation will generally come from the way you ride the unit. If you read back through here (this thread) after around February/March 2018 you'll find many comments and how my experience was moving from a Vortex to a Flux. I had basically 'learnt' to overpower the slow power curve of the Vortex so I could 'surge' with it to drop/ride people off my wheel. The change to the Flux immediately stopped that, but as that had become a large part of my Zwift racing 'tactic' I really suffered. I ride with a PWM outside, although I've never directly compared the PWM bike with the Vortex or Flux (it's thru axle and I don't have the kid/adaptors) I would judge the Vortex over-read my FTP by around 20W (at around 290W when in reality I was 270W). The Flux under-reads by 2-5% so I was finding most of my riding in the spring hard with my FTP then set at 270W. My sprints with the Vortex due to the surge would hit over 1000W, with the Flux they're a little more realistic at 700W. Although outside I will hit 800-900W on my PWM.

I’ve been on Zwift 3 months and still only lvl 9.
You can open up AdZ if you join on a friend that is past lvl12. Being a Billy no Mates I may have to wait!!! :D
If you can join an event using a route going up there you'll also get to go. It's only level 12, you'll soon get there!

AdZ is great, but it is relentless. Consider the Epic KOM but twice as long with steeper gradients and you're somewhere near. I quite 'enjoyed' doing an FTP test up it earlier in the year (before a 5 minute soft pedal & continued to finish it) and will do it again sometime soon! :D

Associate
The Vortex is good for the money, I'd trust it's readings a little more than you're giving it credit for

Still new to tracking power and most of my recent mileage outside tracked on Strava has been commuting which is very different from a shorter spinning/Zwift session so it's hard to compare but definitely feels like the Vortex is over but haven't done a FTP test for quite a few months so will do one on a watt bike and one on my indoor setup to compare, not looking forward to those! But enjoying Zwift and did the tour of New York stage 4 last night which was my first event in Zwift, really enjoyed it. Came 160 something out of 700+ people which I am pleased with as still new to getting back into cycling so working on getting my power up and weight down.

I'm still eyeing up a vEverest challenge on Zwift. I failed last time, having made it to just over half way (up).

I have started the challenge as I want that Tron bike but seems a long way off!

Back
Top Bottom