The Indoor Riding/ Zwift/ TrainerRoad etc. Thread

Soldato
Not sure what! If anything I've been doing less cycling (as in miles), but I have been doing more focussed sessions on the bike. I've been doing a lot more running and swimming training ready for next year. I was worried that might negatively impact my cycling. With all the overseas travelling I do, it's very difficult to put any kind of training plan together. There are weeks where I literally do what I can.

Soldato
but I have been doing more focussed sessions on the bike.
This is key! Also what a properly structured coach/plan will come up with - ditching the 'junk' miles many of us do, making our general riding easier, recovery type stuff to really maximise the real sessions (ie being less fatigued for them).

I've found now I'm even more time pressured that skipping mileage meant I actually felt good more frequently. Annoyingly reduction in sleep and other physical activity (little one getting far more active) did make me feel fatigued more off the bike so I continued to ride less, even when I actually did feel pretty good riding. Lost more fitness, while also fighting various illnesses (coughs and colds brought home from Nursery). Even less mileage. Now I've been healthy and sleeping more, able to ride more I've 'found' much of my missing power quite easily but really lacking the stamina.

I've started to regain my fitness, through a combination of good solid base miles commuting, with quite a bit of intensity at times, rather than just 'easy' miles. With a couple of Zwift sessions a week (rather than just 1 a week) I can feel things coming back. But seemingly doing a complete opposite to the above! :D

OK so the full PRL course on London is a bit tough!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1954722342
Anything is tough riding it for 6 hours! Mega ride & effort. Huge huge kudos for being able to get that done and on one of the most boring courses for it! :o

Last edited:
Associate
OK so the full PRL course on London is a bit tough!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1954722342

Well done! Looks like a lot of climbing on that one as well.

I did the Fondo Bambino event yesterday which was just a short 30 miles in comparison and took 1hr30 but has highlighted the fact my saddle is not comfortable! :eek: Never had issues riding the bike on the road so need to stand up more when on turbo but have also bought a new saddle to try tomorrow.

The event was good fun though as over 1,000 Zwifters in my time slot and was pleased with my time but the climbs highlighted my extra weight I need to lose :)

Soldato
The turbo highlights saddles more as the bike doesn’t move around as much.

I always feel a bit different on the turbo like my position is a little off. More weight over the rear wheel, not as rotated forwards.

Soldato
<snip> has highlighted the fact my saddle is not comfortable! :eek: Never had issues riding the bike on the road so need to stand up more when on turbo but have also bought a new saddle to try tomorrow.<snip>
You really do find out saddles through the turbo! I'm on my 8th and still not happy. Not convinced I'll ever be, but will keep trying! :o

A saddle with a central cutout is something I've ventured to the last couple of years, the same one on my road bike I just couldn't get comfortable on the Turbo after 2-3 hours (doing 4-5 ok outside). Now one with a central channel (as well as a cutout) is working better. I've not done any longer rides on it, but can just tell it's better.

The turbo highlights saddles more as the bike doesn’t move around as much.

I always feel a bit different on the turbo like my position is a little off. More weight over the rear wheel, not as rotated forwards.
Yup, definitely move around far less on the turbo. Although I've found after I fitted aerobars and using them to vary my position (so I sit up less, just alternate hip rotation and position) I've got less numbness, which has led to less sores. Without the aerobars I used to ride upright 'hand-less' far more to (free up my shoulders). Not a position I ride on the road, the aerobars is more in line with how I ride at times on the road.

Just options, as many position options as possible - to relieve different areas while still riding, will keep you riding longer!

Soldato
Am I alone (read mad) in liking the extra challenge of doing relatively hard turbo sessions of up to ~1 hour without using a fan, despite temps in the setup room rising to ~25C during the session? :D

Associate
You really do find out saddles through the turbo! I'm on my 8th and still not happy. Not convinced I'll ever be, but will keep trying! :o

A saddle with a central cutout is something I've ventured to the last couple of years, the same one on my road bike I just couldn't get comfortable on the Turbo after 2-3 hours (doing 4-5 ok outside). Now one with a central channel (as well as a cutout) is working better. I've not done any longer rides on it, but can just tell it's better.

I got one from Decathlon with gel and it seems slightly better in some ways and also trying to stand up more regularly so both of those things have helped. But from what I have read it seems hard to find the right saddle. I am still quite new to having regular time in the saddle as well so I am sure I will build up more resilience as well. Only got back into cycling in June with most of my miles this year being done in the last 2-3months but making good progress.

Am I alone (read mad) in liking the extra challenge of doing relatively hard turbo sessions of up to ~1 hour without using a fan, despite temps in the setup room rising to ~25C during the session? :D

I couldn't do that! :eek: I have an 18" fan side on angled up and just about keeps me okay and the room is certainly less than 25C!

Soldato
Maybe slightly mad! To be fair I quite like the heat, but the lack of airflow would be utterly miserable! :p

I got one from Decathlon with gel and it seems slightly better in some ways and also trying to stand up more regularly so both of those things have helped. But from what I have read it seems hard to find the right saddle. I am still quite new to having regular time in the saddle as well so I am sure I will build up more resilience as well.<snip>
That can be much of it, also position on the bike can change as fitness/body shape changes, not to mention flexibility! The type of riding/roads outside obviously dictate your position, but indoors you do have to really focus more on positioning. Without the bike moving around underneath it just doesn't feel natural to change position so before you know it you can get really uncomfortable!

Did a tough race last thursday night, on the Volcano circuit and actually enjoyed it more than I thought. Really big tough group as with the large group and ramps it was constant efforts to stay attached, with nobody able to gap the group apart from the final (outside) climb where things stretched out every lap. I found myself towards the front every time with quite a measured effort with a handful of others, so knew that's where things where going to blow up last lap. Sure enough it came, I held a wheel aiming to sit in for the sprint but could see the group coming back together as things ramped up again. I closed a gap and tried to get a tow to recover but things stretched again. I had very little left for the sprint, but came in 2nd on ZP which I'm happy with. Was closer to 5/6th on the road (mixed B & C group with an A rider too).

Sunday came around and again I ran out of time to get a decent ride in as didn't get out early enough. Had an issue with ANT/BT dropouts and missed the race start I wanted when re-pairing everything. Ended up in a training ride without cadence or HRM (BT bugged out) but ANT working enough for my Flux and it behaved itself. Good base session, did some gap closing and couple of climb efforts, including a 2018 PR up the Watopia KOM. Shame I'd missed any racing as my legs where feeling really good! :(

What USB ANT/BT adaptors are people using? I'm considering changing mine as this isn't the first time it's caused me an issue. It's an old Suunto Movestick that I got second hand! An external one with a cable (like The Tacx one) could work well for me as I could place it on my downtube.

Soldato
What USB ANT/BT adaptors are people using? I'm considering changing mine as this isn't the first time it's caused me an issue. It's an old Suunto Movestick that I got second hand! An external one with a cable (like The Tacx one) could work well for me as I could place it on my downtube.

I've been using https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00LIIMHP4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 and https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NH12O5I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 since last Xmas, been good as gold.

Soldato
Finally! Took their bloody time didn't they! Quite disappointed the initial WBR help I drummed up wasn't that helpful, but glad we found that other guy! :)

Up for joining a Race Team? Might be able to swing you a RaceWBR spot.

My pain cave is getting an upgrade this winter guys! Alongside ordering the TACX USB adaptor above we where given some money by family so looking at a new 4K TV indoors... Which means I'll have a 32" (might be a 36") TV available for me to use for Zwift! Woohoo! :D

Only 'problem' I have is it's a 7 or 8 years old Samsung so I think it is quite heavy... I'm going to spec a tripod (the TR940 or TR941) which we looked at before as they seem great for the money/features. That link is for the 940 but I might go for the 941 (~£20 more) as it may well be sturdier as is made for bigger screens (up to 50"). Will probably grab one of the Honeywell fans we also scouted out earlier in the thread too.

@BennyC how are your Honeywells HT900's working? I'm only going to go with 1 of them mounted on the legs like in the pics we saw. Very tidy and I do have 2 other larger fans available to use.

Can't think what else I currently need, apart from a shelf and some insulation to keep it warmer in there over winter! :o

Amazon don't sell better legs... ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
@Roady - yeah finally! The guy replied to me asking for yet more data as my files weren't exact enough of a match to my indoor performances..... 20 odd minute efforts from TT's are not ideal, they would rather a 20min effort on a hill to compare.... I told him the 20min efforts I provided were from national events as in governed competition FFS! Then I sent him a file with 5 and 10min power from a steep climb in 2016 and he approved me. I get the point, I really do, but the process and way its handled almost had me binning off Zwift sub.

Race team, not really thought about it as I can only zwift very early mornings or on a Saturday really. The most racing is done by the decent lads at 6-9pm at night is it? I came second in a race this morning but there was only 4 people in A. The guy that beat me was proper handy, Aussie bloke.
What's the deal being in a zwift specific team? Is it worthwhile?

Soldato
@BennyC how are your Honeywells HT900's working? I'm only going to go with 1 of them mounted on the legs like in the pics we saw. Very tidy and I do have 2 other larger fans available to use.

**** poor for anything of any real intensity :p

Perfect for Z2/Z3 work but I still use my 20" floor-fan predominantly for 'proper' work.

They (two) fill a nice middle ground but I would need about 6 to match the effect of my 20". I absolutely cook and sweat buckets whether it's -5 or 25 :rolleyes:

Soldato
Just did my first Swift ride (an FTP test, because why not!) and I'm sold already. So much better than staring at a power chart with Trainer Road. I definitely need to get a fan of some kind though. Even with the. windows wide open I was drenched in sweat.

Soldato
Quick question regarding zwift, can you use it with a dumb turbo trainer?
I hardly use my turbo atm so don't really want to spend money on a new one, but would like the option of occasionally using it if the weather is bad rather than doing nothing or just knocking out 20 miles static staring at the wall.

Also, what maps are actually available?
Is it just limited routes or can you go wherever you like?

Soldato
Quick question regarding zwift, can you use it with a dumb turbo trainer?
I hardly use my turbo atm so don't really want to spend money on a new one, but would like the option of occasionally using it if the weather is bad rather than doing nothing or just knocking out 20 miles static staring at the wall.

Also, what maps are actually available?
Is it just limited routes or can you go wherever you like?

Cadence sensor, speed sensor and HRM all speaking to your device via ANT+ or Bluetooth and you can use it with a basic turbo trainer. You just won't have power unless you have a separate power meter as well. If no power meter then you will get Z power reported in game.
All you will miss is the "controllable" trainer part of the game with this setup.

Maps wise it goes on a rotation. Here is schedule for this month and you'll find a December one in same website - https://zwiftinsider.com/schedule/

You can manually change to a different map though if you don't want the one that's on the natural rotation -
https://zwiftinsider.com/world-tag/

Soldato
@Roady - yeah finally! The guy replied to me asking for yet more data as my files weren't exact enough of a match to my indoor performances..... 20 odd minute efforts from TT's are not ideal, they would rather a 20min effort on a hill to compare.... I told him the 20min efforts I provided were from national events as in governed competition FFS! Then I sent him a file with 5 and 10min power from a steep climb in 2016 and he approved me. I get the point, I really do, but the process and way its handled almost had me binning off Zwift sub.

Race team, not really thought about it as I can only zwift very early mornings or on a Saturday really. The most racing is done by the decent lads at 6-9pm at night is it? I came second in a race this morning but there was only 4 people in A. The guy that beat me was proper handy, Aussie bloke.
What's the deal being in a zwift specific team? Is it worthwhile?
Ahhh, I guess it's one of those things - having direct comparisons makes things much easier. Obviously a TT effort is more measured than a hill climb and dare I say it, more measured than a Zwift race! If it was Tom then the realisation of national events may have needed pointing out - as he's dutch/belgian and may not have realised/recognised the names or governing bodies... It was far more tricky than it needed to be, in two ways I thought you got caught - changes to the system and the old having a huge backlog. In a way by going directly (like we did), I hope it sped things up - so you beat the backlog! ;)

**** poor for anything of any real intensity :p

Perfect for Z2/Z3 work but I still use my 20" floor-fan predominantly for 'proper' work.

They (two) fill a nice middle ground but I would need about 6 to match the effect of my 20". I absolutely cook and sweat buckets whether it's -5 or 25 :rolleyes:
Ah ok. Although sounds like it might be fine for me, I'm after something I can run quite constantly. The big 18" I have pointed at my face 12" away I don't tend to run continuously as I get chills! Things will move around shortly and I'll move it further away (but will mean it goes more off to 1 side). So think the little Honeywell will fit in well. I have another larger floor-standing 20" but the airflow is insane - usually only required in the late spring/summer!

Just did my first Swift ride (an FTP test, because why not!) and I'm sold already. So much better than staring at a power chart with Trainer Road. I definitely need to get a fan of some kind though. Even with the. windows wide open I was drenched in sweat.
Swift spellcheck ftw! ;) Welcome! :D

It can be quite immersive, certainly at your stage as you'll continue to notice 'new' things in the environment when riding around. There's parts of the London course I almost know the colour sequence of the crowds... Which makes it mind numbingly boring!

Bigger screen and going 1080p for me will change that... But have a feeling my laptop might not be man enough for the task! :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom