***The iOS 5 Thread***

I think someone needs to explain to me how this wireless syncing works..
Will it sync with itunes over wifi without been plugged into power or even with.

Can I get my apps from itunes onto the phone coz right now I cant get itunes to pick up my iphone without it being plugged directly into the computer. Dunno what I am missing here

Caporegime
There's a big Android update out in a few months, I wonder how iOS 5 will look then. As at the moment Apple have just copied Android and jailbroken apps with a bare minimum of originality.

Of course the general public that think iPhone is the be and end all will think everything is original and exciting.

LOL still cant resist trolling in here can you???

L33

L33

Permabanned
Noticed a couple of bits.... I like that it now shows how much space is being used by each app within Settings > General > Usage
Also like how you can choose what type of notification is shown for each app. So you can set the classic modal type popups for certain things (say, SMS) and have the new style notification for something else, or turn them off all together. Can also choose what appears in the lock screen etc (and yes, thank god you can turn off the pointless stock ticker).
New grid overlay option for the camera (at least I think its new?)
iPod app is now pointlessly split into 2 'apps', Videos and Music.
The new 'purchased' menu within the App Store is brilliant. Well overdue!!

(Bug) Swiping down from the status bar to show the notification pane also causes whatever you were viewing beneath to scroll up to the very top just like when you tap the status bar on iOS 4 or lower
(Bug) Trying to change wallpaper doesn't work for me first time. Takes 2 or 3 goes then makes the device run slow for a minute or two

Permabanned
LOL still cant resist trolling in here can you???

Trolling =/= Stating facts, while they've lifted a few things from Android the bulk of it is from jailbroken apps. This cannot be denied.

I already said I don't care that they've copied stuff, companies do it all the time so I'm not sure why you're bringing what I said up.

butthurt.jpg

Butthurt over what? That iOS is getting new features?

If a platform is getting better that's good news and gives me more options with my phone choice in the future.

Defensive Apple fans, tsk.

Edit: Very sad to hear are still using the badge system for notifications, instead of having the notifications pop up near the tray. Can anybody confirm?

Last edited:
Soldato
Trolling =/= Stating facts, while they've lifted a few things from Android the bulk of it is from jailbroken apps. This cannot be denied.

I already said I don't care that they've copied stuff, companies do it all the time so I'm not sure why you're bringing what I said up.

Its really no surprise with the notifications for example, considering Apple have actually hired the guy who developed MobileNotifier, Peter Hajas, which seems to be the system everyone is claiming they have stolen/copied.

Permabanned
Its really no surprise with the notifications for example, considering Apple have actually hired the guy who developed MobileNotifier, Peter Hajas, which seems to be the system everyone is claiming they have stolen/copied.

Yep pretty much, seen somebody make that comparison already. Android/MobileNotifier, all the same really. Still so so so so much better than the current system, I really hope badges are actually gone though...I heard they are still being used, I thought notifications would appear at the top in the tray like Android ones do.

Soldato
I think someone needs to explain to me how this wireless syncing works..
Will it sync with itunes over wifi without been plugged into power or even with.

Can I get my apps from itunes onto the phone coz right now I cant get itunes to pick up my iphone without it being plugged directly into the computer. Dunno what I am missing here

Wireless Sync is currently disabled so i read on macrumors forums.

Wireless Sync is currently disabled so i read on macrumors forums.

Yeah seems so. Cloud push is working. got app and ibook on itunes on my mac and it was pushed to the iphone too. But ipod music is something I cant get working so far.

Thats crap aswel. Under every sound option it says get more tones.. Though if you do each tone you buy only ever is allowed to be used for ringtones only dispite the menu being there for text tones, calander etc etc.

poor poor effort

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah seems so. Cloud push is working. got app and ibook on itunes on my mac and it was pushed to the iphone too. But ipod music is something I cant get working so far.

Thats crap aswel. Under every sound option it says get more tones.. Though if you do each tone you buy only ever is allowed to be used for ringtones only dispite the menu being there for text tones, calander etc etc.

poor poor effort

Atleast we got custom vibrations now ;)

Soldato
Just saw this on the macrumors forums:

With the intoduction of iCloud, over the activation and upgrades, AirPlay, and varous other features that will allow the iPhone to be used as a stand alone device, do you think they might eliminate the dock connector comepletly with iphone 4S or iPhone 5?

Seems like the only thing really need to make this happen would be induction charging and then no more cable/doc connector.

Of course this would also apply to iPod touch and iPad.

Personally I think this would be great. I have no use for the cable other than charging. Adding in induction charging to elimate the cable and dock connector would be amazing!

Brings up some good points tbh, I for 1 hope they never do get rid of it. As what happens if you have to do a hard reset ect - and no wireless only a lan'd computer?

Permabanned
Is wireless sync being slow a software issue or a limitation of the iPhones wireless interface?

Since I'm guessing most phones use a g standard wifi chip? Or does it use an n? My phone gets around 10-11mbps connected to my wifi point. MacBook gets around the same but it has wireless n, my router doesn't support that however, only g. (phone is a Nexus S)

Apple patent app sheds light on wireless charging dreams, NFMR love affair
By Brad Molen posted Jun 7th 2011 9:54AM

Apple threw quite the wireless party by introducing PC Free and iCloud at yesterday's WWDC keynote, but it seems that the engineers in Cupertino may have even more tricks up their sleeve. Judging by a recently filed patent application, the company's hoping to add charging to its list of cord-cutting services. Specifically, the patent describes building a NFMR (near-field magnetic resolution) power supply directly into your iMac so it can charge your iPhone, iPad, or even peripherals -- such as a keyboard or mouse, when equipped with a special antenna -- without the assistance of your ol' trusty charging cords or batteries. Sporting a somewhat mature iMac that's operating sans NFMR? Pop a special USB dongle in that bad boy and presto, you're good to go. The patent points out that the range is limited to one meter, though there may be ways to install repeaters in peripherals to extend that distance further. Of course, patents won't guarantee we'll be grabbing the scissors to cut our cords anytime soon, but at least we won't have to rely on these things for the rest of eternity.
Unwired View
WIPO

Leave A Comment

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/apple-patent-app-sheds-light-on-wireless-charging-dreams-nfmr-l/

Permabanned
It'll never go. I'd have said they might shrink the port like the uber small USB point on my Nexus BUT that will break a lot of accessories and eliminate any chance of the phone being backwards compatible with existing ones.

Back
Top Bottom