*** The iPad Air thread ***

Soldato
I noticed this, it seems to kind of just refresh itself.. hopefully can be fixed soon :)

My colleague was playing Despicable Me on my iPad air yesterday, he said it didn't run as well compared to his iPad 4... we got them side by side and I agree, iPad 4 was smoother.

Seems like it's bad software eg not optimised at all for the iPad, if you compare it to the iPhone 5s you will notice how much slower it is. Some of it might be due to the added resolution but I noticed a lot of lag went entering things like the multi tasking with a gesture, it would freeze for a split second then drop to low fps before everything was smooth again.

This is something you really never get with ios devices and looks like all the nice animations are much more of a strain on the iPads resolution. They need to fix it I believe, as it just seems like the iPad was an after thought.

Even the music player didn't have the nice cover flow when you had it in landscape, but the iPhone did.

Soldato
So I am out in the states at the moment on Holiday and am considering my first tablet purchase would I get a better deal out here compared to buying in the UK?

Still torn whether to get the Air or the new mini + retina.

Soldato
So as a follow up question, am I right in saying that if I get the 16gb/32gb version approx. £312/£375 of the air then I wouldn't have to pay duty on it and so not need to declare it. I think the limit for Electrical goods in £390 from outside the EU. Or is the value based on the price of the UK?

edit: Also what is the warranty situation like? I see that Apple have changed some of the wording on the T&C's regarding iPads.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've already run into 1GB ram limits, just with safari and 6 tabs open.

Keep having to reload them which then looses the location in the page.

*RAGE*.

Almost tempted to take it back.

Soldato
Just picked up my Air, a lot better than my iPad 3. Feel like a true successor to the iPad 2, unlike the iPad 3 and 4. Feels like I'm using the iPad Mini as the bezel is smaller, very nice.

Brought myself a Nexus 7 2013 too, so now I have the best of both worlds :)

Associate
How does everyone's screens look?
Uniform even tint all the way across?

I only ask as my left half of the screen is slightly more yellow than the right but you do have to be looking for it to spot it.

Also by the rear microphone there seems to be a few mark's like imperfections on the space grey finish, it won't rub out however a camera won't pick up the marks either but with a human eye you can see them.

Soldato
Why do you need 6 static pages open that don't need reloading / refreshing? :confused:

No one wants to wait for a page to refresh, what is this 2007. But on a serious note anandtech has reported that 64bit apps take up 30% more ram so the next version of iOS devices is likey to see a jump to 2gb.

Soldato
Have seen all the screen discussion over on MR and not entirely sure what to make of it.

My screen is perfect colour-wise. As for the grey "line" down the left, there might be the slightest indication of this on mine but, if it's even there and not my eyes playing tricks, it's barely detectable on a pure white background, let alone when in use. Whilst I'm sure there are genuinely defective units out there, I also think a lot of people are probably being perfectionists and/or making a huge deal about something that's not really a problem at all.

As for my experiences - damn I love this thing! Interestingly, whilst the first thing that hit me when I first picked it up and started using it was the weight reduction, what's stuck with me more over the last couple of days is the size. The size reduction doesn't seem much on paper, or even when you look at the device side-by-side with an older model but, once you actually start using it, it's amazing how much smaller it "feels" in use. It feels far more like using a Mini than an older full size iPad, it's bizarre but obviously welcome :)

Associate
I've tried this a few times in my local apple store. I am impressed with the drop in weight but still feels to bulky/big to hold with one hand for long periods.

How have you purchasers found it?

Soldato
I still really am so confused on why people buy a Cellular version of a tablet. Surely people don't leave the house without their phone, why are people not using their phone as a WiFi Hotspot?

Associate
Well it kills a phone battery, not everyone has that capability, they might not want to share both over the same data allowance...and so on

Back
Top Bottom