*** The iPad Air thread ***

Soldato
Picked one up in currys yesterday. They had very large amounts of stock.
Quite surprising how many were sitting behind and when I commented she said there were many many more in the backroom reserved for people.

Soldato
I still really am so confused on why people buy a Cellular version of a tablet. Surely people don't leave the house without their phone, why are people not using their phone as a WiFi Hotspot?

1. Tethering is a hassle
2. Tethering isn't supported (and disabled) on some mobile contracts
3. Sometimes my iPad isn't where my phone is (such as if the missus borrows it)
4. Would eat into my phone data allowance
5. Eats into phone battery
6. I have each on a different network for better coverage (using tethering as a backup when necessary)
7. GPS

Soldato
1. Tethering is a hassle
2. Tethering isn't supported (and disabled) on some mobile contracts
3. Sometimes my iPad isn't where my phone is (such as if the missus borrows it)
4. Would eat into my phone data allowance
5. Eats into phone battery
6. I have each on a different network for better coverage (using tethering as a backup when necessary)
7. GPS

I would agree but the iPad contracts are such a rip off, for example Three gives you unlimited net, 2k mins and so on for 15£ but for iPad you get 10gb Data, it is more then enough but why isn't it unlimited too.

But it is a lot easier just to have data plan on your iPad, my gfs does and when I use it I just take it out and it works. With mine I have to go to my phone, set up everything, connect using my tablet and then I finally get online. Battery life isnt too bad, I drop around 6-7% an hour tethering from my Nexus 4 and it is not a phone known for its great battery life.

Soldato
The only argument for tethering is that data plans on phone contracts are a lot cheaper than internet sims. (For want of a better description)

Well yes but quite often the most generous mobile contracts don't permit tethering. Sometimes you can still do it (although technically in breach of contract) but sometimes it's physically disabled on the phone.

Data isn't that expensive on a tablet though. I use Giffgaff who do 500MB for £5 or 1GB for £7.50. Either of these is peanuts really and more than worth it to me for the convenience of not having to tether. Yes there's also an additional £100 up front cost for the iPad itself but it only adds an additional 18% to the cost of the model I chose so also not that much in the grand scheme of things.

I would agree but the iPad contracts are such a rip off, for example Three gives you unlimited net, 2k mins and so on for 15£ but for iPad you get 10gb Data, it is more then enough but why isn't it unlimited too.
Well yes, if you want 10GB of data per month on your tablet then it can get very pricey but personally I don't - 1GB is fine for me. Basically I don't use the iPad on 3G for data intensive stuff like watching videos or streaming TV etc, I just use it for basic browsing, various apps and so forth.

Each to their own and if you want a lot of data on your iPad then tethering to a high capacity mobile contract on your phone (if permitted) may well be a better bet for you. Some of us don't need this however and prefer, for whatever reasons, to have a cellular iPad with its own data contract.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Is anyone else getting some crashes in the iTunes Store when they switch categories? It's crashed about five times when clicking on the audiobook category.

This seems to be a widely reported problem at the moment.

Try this. Open itunes in portrait mode and then rotate to landscape. If it doesn't crash, try to switch categories along the bottom, particularly films, TV and audiobooks. For some reason, it doesn't like landscape mode. It's fine on portrait mode.

Soldato
This seems to be a widely reported problem at the moment.

Try this. Open itunes in portrait mode and then rotate to landscape. If it doesn't crash, try to switch categories along the bottom, particularly films, TV and audiobooks. For some reason, it doesn't like landscape mode. It's fine on portrait mode.

Yep. Same on mine too.

Let's hope Apple are working on a fix!

Associate
I've not found that issue on mine having tries numerous ways to try and get it
Must only be affecting some devices

Im now trying to find a good case!
Ive been using a soft clear polyurethane skin on my iPad two for years and i loved that because it always provided the right amount of protection and was tight fitting so it never hindered the use of the device
But I cant seem to find a good one yet for iPad Air!

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like mine is due to arrive this week. Hopefully TNT won't be rubbish when it comes to re-arranging a swift re-delivery, as I'm going to be out on the day it's due to arrive :(

Soldato
Anyone get the feeling that rainforest company are taking a little dig here :p

Definitely and it's beyond pathetic - the kind of cheap crap I'd expect from Microsoft to be honest.

Firstly it's a smaller screen than the iPad Air so we're not comparing like with like. Secondly I'll bet it'll feel like a piece of flimsy plastic junk compared to the iPad, just like the Samsung S4 does next to a 5S :p

Soldato
It's quite common in US ads to trash talk their competitors - Apple are too classy for that though.

If you look at the Amazon ad which product looks nicer!

Caporegime
OP
If you look at the Amazon ad which product looks nicer!

The Air's only been out a couple of days, but Apple have already done it.

Any tablet with thick bezels like the Fire already looks clunky and dated now.

I'n not trying to knock the Fire, it's probably a perfectly good tablet, it's just the pettiness of Amazon's marketing that annoys me. It looks even more desperate in that they are trying to sell it based on a weight difference of under 100grams. A difference you can hardly, if at all, feel.

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you watched the Apple Event from last month, they made plenty of digs at Microsoft.

There was plenty of digs at Google and Samsung too at wwdc, including things like how Samsung advertise nfc and s-beam. I think light hearted banter is not bad when done in good humour, Amazons above example is pretty tame and it doesn't have any lies in it.

Some of the recent things from MSFT/Nokia have been a bit bad thou, like how MSFT lied about their tablets being bigger than the iPad and even putting shop'd images to make it seem bigger. When companies do that it really is bad.

Back on topic how is the size difference between this and the mini now, I'm stuck between getting either a 16gb air or 32gb retina mini, don't really wanna spend more then £399 on a tablet as it just isn't worth more for my use case, which will be purely entertainment, that I can already accomplish but would just be easier/more enjoyable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom