*** The iPhone 3G Thread ***

Soldato
I have a question, I have the original iphone, on the old 18 month contract, my contract ends august, but the phone is beginning to malfunction (dodgy top button, randomly turns itself off now and then)...things like that.

What are my rights here? I have the standard 35 a month contract with unlimited txt bolt on, I did have extra insurance for 8 months but stopped it as it would never be used and was a rip off.

As the phone is starting to malfunction (through no fault of my own), will o2 replace it ? because at the end of the day I have there product which im paying 35 a month for, and its stopping working correctly.

And question 2 if they dont replace it...could I just get a 3g iphone and wack my sim in it ? and all would be fine ?

Thanks

Commissario
My first thought is that you've got a phone which you've had for 15 months so I believe it's out of the warranty period. You're not paying any extra for insurance so they're quite within their rights to say "Up yours, mister".

It's worth a call though, both to O2 and to an Apple store just to see what they say.

Soldato
It will be soon, all these terms and conditions are bang out of order, they probably know full well the phones are only built to last a year, if that, also if you think about it, why put a 12 month warranty on a phone that thats contracted out for 18 months ?!, thats utterly bizarre.

Soldato
Read the sales of goods act, phone them up knowing your rights, get a free replacement or take them to small claims court.

For those that dont know, all the act basically says is that the product should last a "reasonable" ammount of time. when your spending £500 on a phone, id personally expect it to last the full 18 months and then some but that would be up to a judge.

Normally if you push a company they will fold because they know they'd loose in court.

Associate
I have a question, I have the original iphone, on the old 18 month contract, my contract ends august, but the phone is beginning to malfunction (dodgy top button, randomly turns itself off now and then)...things like that.

Thanks

Do you have insurance form any other source? Home Contents? From your credit card or even your bank account (Natwest covers all my gadgets and holiday insurace for 'free')?

Otherwise you are stuffed.. but Apple are famous for fixing things outside of warranty. Just ruck up at an Apple Store and ask for a fix. Otherwise you might be able to cheaply upgrade when the new one is announced / or your contract ends.

Why didn't you upgrade to 3G last year, you could have sold your current model on for more than it cost to upgrade to 3G. I suspect I will be able to do the same this time too...

Last edited:
Associate
I have a question, I have the original iphone, on the old 18 month contract, my contract ends august, but the phone is beginning to malfunction (dodgy top button, randomly turns itself off now and then)...things like that...
Thanks

A mate of mine took his iPhone 2G into the apple store the other day for a similar problem and they just gave him a new iPhone 2G.

His was also out of warranty, apple don't seem to care tbh, they have been fixing my MBP since I got it 2 years ago, and i'm only supposed to have a 12 month warranty.

Soldato
Read the sales of goods act, phone them up knowing your rights, get a free replacement or take them to small claims court.

For those that dont know, all the act basically says is that the product should last a "reasonable" ammount of time. when your spending £500 on a phone, id personally expect it to last the full 18 months and then some but that would be up to a judge.

Normally if you push a company they will fold because they know they'd loose in court.

Quite so. There was something in the daily mail recently who applied the sale of goods act along with some European directive stating you can have anything up to six years in which to return a faulty item. The item in question was an lcd tv out of manufacturers warranty.

Back
Top Bottom