**The iPhone 5 accessory thread**

Associate
Hey guys, ordered my new 5 yesterday (3GS needs replacing).

Which slimline case/screen protector does everyone recommend?

I've mentioned this one before (linky) and said that it got a couple of bad reviews on Amazon due to it peeling.

Now that I've owned it a bit longer mine has started to wear a little around the edges but it's barely noticeable unless you examine it closely, certainly not enough to fuss around looking for another one. The problem is that its a plastic case covered in some sort of thin matte coating and its this coating that's wearing off. It still does a great job of actually protecting the phone. If you're not overly fussed about the case looking in pristine condition then certainly one to consider, if a little wear and tear bothers you then look elsewhere

Associate
CaseCrown Lux Glider - Black + MediaDevil Crystal Clear screen protector = Perfect combo (in my opinion)

Had to buy the case from the US though so it took a couple of weeks to come through, but I can assure you, it's the best case I've had on any of my phones.

IMG_0008.jpg

More pics:

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/Nocky24/IMG_0007.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/Nocky24/IMG_0006.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/Nocky24/IMG_0005.jpg
http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae255/Nocky24/IMG_0003.jpg

Casewise I've tried these so far:

Gear4 Ice Box Edge Case- Rubbish, as the plastic shield at the back scratches whenever you take the phone out (phone scratches it). Also I'd imagine the dust build up would be quite bad so you would need to take it out for a clean occasionally. The same can be said for any of these rear plastic covered cases- tried a Rocketfish Reveal at CPW and that scratched as well. The Griffin version would also be the same.

Tech21 Impact Snap- Didn't fit perfectly on the phone itself and was slightly skewed out on the one side. Plastic felt cheap, very little grip and top and bottom sides were exposed (however most snap cases are like this).

CaseMate Barely There- Not bad at all, have been using it up until I received this CaseCrown. Only gripe is that the rubber textured coating has already started to wear off on the corners and edges after 2 or 3 weeks usage. Probably won't look great if you want to keep it long term. Also top and bottom sides are exposed here like the Tech21.

Cygnett Second Skin- Loose fit which was immediately noticeable. It's entirely soft rubber so this would only get worse through usage. Have used flexible cases in the past and should have learnt my lesson really as any dirt that get's caught between the case and phone will just flex and wear against it. Had this happen on my iPhone 4.

Regarding SwitchEasy- Avoid! Tried one on the iPad 2 that I had and that scratched like crazy. In fact any sort of shiny plastic backed cases I'd avoid as they'll scratch quite easy making it look terrible.

Sorry for the the long post, but just thought I'd share my findings as it might be useful for some. However, this is just my opinion. Some of you might have had a good experiences with the above cases :)

Was just wondering how you are getting on with the lux glider case, is it holding up well and has it caused any damage to phone when you remove it ?

Thanks

Soldato
Was just wondering how you are getting on with the lux glider case, is it holding up well and has it caused any damage to phone when you remove it ?

Thanks

I have to say it's the best case I've ever bought.

Still looks as good as when I first bought it and the two parts of the case that fit together haven't become loose or anything like that (as you might expect). The case also does a great job of keeping debris out as it's felt lined. In addition to this, as the case is rigid, there's no movement to cause any wear to the sides of the phone either. My phone is as good as when I first bought it, but I do give the phone/case a quick clean every other week as well.

I bought a spare about a week after I bought it, but haven't needed to use it at all. I've been flicking through this thread on odd occasions since I've had my phone, but nothing has tempted me away from this case. For circa £10 inc delivery you can't complain at all.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I got the new BookBook iPhone 5 case from the Apple store, they've significantly minimalised the design so the phone fits in better and you can double it up as a wallet which is good. The level of protection is also very high.

I tend not to use a case, or I use a leather slip pouch thing (I haven't found a good one yet), but all in all the BookBook case is nice. The quality of the leather is good and it looks fairly smart. The main issue is that it makes the phone quite fat, so you need a fairly large inside pocket or similar in which to store the phone.

http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_iphone5/

It may suit some of you (or perhaps not :p).

rpg

rpg

Associate
I had issues with my iPhone 5 over the last two months, and Apple messed me around a bit, so as a goodwill gesture they gave me £50 to spend in the Apple store, so I chose the BookBook case Robbo mentioned above. I think it will be perfect for me when I go out on the town, as I can stick a few quid in it and a couple of cards.

During the week/daytime I'll probably stick with my Elago Outfit case though (I will have my normal wallet with me anyway) as it's thinner and probably easier to use for typing messages and browsing the web etc.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41B+ZFuXgyL._SL400_.jpg

I like the Spigen stuff too, but there's no point in me spending a fortune on cases when I can only use one case at a time. I think the two I have will do nicely.

Soldato
Got a new iPhone 5 16gb for £370 today:D Now I need a good case, any suggestions? Also i'm looking for a good screen protector that doesn't bubble, any ideas?

Sweet deal.

Screen protector, I wouldnt bother. Unless you have a bunch of rocks in your pocket

I got a minimal one from the Apple store - Adopted clear case

http://store.apple.com/uk-business/product/HA879ZM/A/adopted-lens-case-for-iphone-5
http://www.getadopted.com/en/cases/lens-case/

I had a Rocketfish clear case before and the Adopted fits and feels better. It was a bit more expensive though

Associate

Still looks as good as when I first bought it and the two parts of the case that fit together haven't become loose or anything like that (as you might expect). The case also does a great job of keeping debris out as it's felt lined. In addition to this, as the case is rigid, there's no movement to cause any wear to the sides of the phone either. My phone is as good as when I first bought it, but I do give the phone/case a quick clean every other week as well.

I bought a spare about a week after I bought it, but haven't needed to use it at all. I've been flicking through this thread on odd occasions since I've had my phone, but nothing has tempted me away from this case. For circa £10 inc delivery you can't complain at all.
That's good to hear. I'm going to place an order tonight following your recommendation :D think im going to go for the Bonbons slider (silver spoon)
How is the screen protector holding up? Would you put one on again with this case.
:)

Associate
Anyone here who owns a Cygnett UrbanShield Carbon Fibre Hard Case? Pictures and thoughts on the case itself?

Looks nice, adds minimal bulk to the phone and not that pricey. Favourable reviews which helps!

Soldato

May have to take a look at this. Where's best to order?

My Case Mate tough case is starting to bend/warp whcih is nnoying me no end as it wasn't cheap at the time.

Soldato
That's good to hear. I'm going to place an order tonight following your recommendation :D think im going to go for the Bonbons slider (silver spoon)
How is the screen protector holding up? Would you put one on again with this case.
:)

Screen protector is going great! Hardly scratches at all (only a few very tiny marks since I applied it in October). Again, great condition and haven't needed to replace it yet and don't expect to anytime soon.

Soldato
Associate
May have to take a look at this. Where's best to order?

My Case Mate tough case is starting to bend/warp whcih is nnoying me no end as it wasn't cheap at the time.
I got mine from Amazon £9.89 will be arriving tomorrow :) I also got, the media devil screen protectors.

Screen protector is going great! Hardly scratches at all (only a few very tiny marks since I applied it in October). Again, great condition and haven't needed to replace it yet and don't expect to anytime soon.
I put my screen protector on today, and I have to say, media devil have impressed me. Really great product: can't tell it is even on to be honest.

Glad to hear they hold up over time. My case arrives tomorrow, so my iPhone, should be very well protected now :)

Soldato
Associate
Well, my Casecrown case arrived today. I am really impressed.
The fit is amazing, these things are really well made, no way my phone is going to get damaged with this on.

The only thing I can fault,is the texture on the case. I got the element, which is a rough sort of rubber/matte finish. I think this will go shiny over time.
Get this case in the standard finish and it would be the ultimate iPhone 5 case.

Back
Top Bottom