The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
GTA V - Its taken a very long time to complete this one, I started it when it was released on the PS4 and then re-bought it for the pc. A solid game and one with an amazing storyline and set of characters, if I had to pick a favourite it would be Trevor.

9/10

Associate
Alpha Protocol - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it and have no clue why it's generally brushed under the carpet. It's like a good spy version of Mass Effect with an impactful dialogue system. Some aspects are basic, and perhaps I didn't run into the hated aspects because I went Pistol & Stealth rather than guns blazing, but I think I'll probably attempt a Recruit playthrough at some point. If you enjoyed Mass Effect i'd certainly give it a go.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Alpha Protocol - 8/10

Thoroughly enjoyed it and have no clue why it's generally brushed under the carpet. It's like a good spy version of Mass Effect with an impactful dialogue system. Some aspects are basic, and perhaps I didn't run into the hated aspects because I went Pistol & Stealth rather than guns blazing, but I think I'll probably attempt a Recruit playthrough at some point. If you enjoyed Mass Effect i'd certainly give it a go.
I may replay this at some point, I enjoyed it back in the day.

Soldato
Tender Loving Care. Bit of a stretch to call this a game, more of an interactive video thing but I bought it of GOG so I'll call it a game. The game was complete a 'trip', it did get a bit tiresome going through the rooms of the house in between the video footage but it definitely had me intrigued to find out what was going to happen next throughout the entire duration. Pretty warped and twisted at times which always works for me. 7/10

Soldato
Alpha Protocol - 8/10

Agreed i thought it was a great game...though the boss battles pretty much screw you over if you are doing a stealth build. (unless they somehow patched this unbalanced aspect)

Soldato
Bioshock Remastered. Been playing through the whole trilogy again. Without question my favourite ever game series. Pure gameplay perfection. 10/10

Been meaning to do the Bioshock series Remastered - Hopefully have enough time to kill this weekend to make a decent start :D

jkb

jkb

Associate
Alpha Centauri. I don't play strategy games but remembered this from years ago so I bought it. Couldn't put it down played until 2am three nights running. Maybe I should try some more up to date games of this type.

Soldato
WWII: Normandy 2/10

This is a budget FPS title from 2002 by 3LV Games and published by budget publisher GSP more commonly associated with the more recent wave of frickin' point and click adventure games. It cost £20 when new but I got it for 99p from the British Heart Foundation.

I played it on my Windows 98 PC. The game isn't very good.

Technically, the game's sound is crackly throughout with my soundblaster Live!, a very common soundcard (no other game does this). The menus are barely usable because the mouse (a shell casing) leaves a ghosted trail behind it, as do any open windows or boxes. Within the game, performance was poorer than expected and the graphics looked about as good as I expected, which isn't very good.

The music itself is actually very good, especially for a budget title like this. I actually extracted the music from the CD to save to my normal PC to listen to in decent quality. I put a song on Dropbox which will play within the browser (it's a 36mb WAV) https://www.dropbox.com/s/4aqzsuut41sj2lk/NORMANDY-3.WAV?dl=0

j22qEv6m.jpg.png

The game is about an hour long, with 12 5-minute levels. No cutscenes or story. I ran to the end of each level and killed all the dudes in my path.

The levels are OK, like very scaled down MOHH:AA levels and fewer open areas.

The gunplay works OK. You point your gun and shoot dudes and they usually fall down. The AI is "pants-on-head retarded" as Zero Punctuation would say and will sometimes just stand facing you (literally spinning on the balls of their feet) taking my bullets. There are 5 weapons in the game as shown in the image, and you won't ever use the pistol or knife. I liked how you need to find backpacks lying around to get ammo for your gun (and health) and I occassionally found myself running low upping the challenge.

So why did I complete this game when I have much better games to play on my W98 PC? I don't really know. The levels were short enough to rattle through quickly and the controls simple to use. It has quicksave so the few times I died it wasn't a pain.

The credits rolled (suddenly, mid level it seemed but I must have reached the end of the level), and there were about 10 people in the dev team. Here they are! I wonder what they're up to now!

btRsnaZl.jpg.png

You can buy two Curly Wirlys for 99p (probably). Did I have more fun than this than I would have with two Curly Wirlys? Just about.

Last edited:
Associate
Another vote for Ori and the Blind forest 9/10 - Really very very good!.
The older I get the fewer games seem to click with me. This one did, the sequel will be a day one purchase.

Associate
Managed to blast through Halo 1 & 2 over the course of a couple of nights.

Halo 1 - 7/10 - Still a really fun game, I enjoyed a good 75% of it. Combat still feels good, the music is as epic as ever and some of the sections were you are fighting alongside the marines are quality. Sadly I always dread the levels where the Flood is introduced, whilst the atmosphere is decent, they're just so long and boring to play through. The library mission was worse than I remembered and I found myself just running through everything to get to the end. I even had a good chuckle to myself when guilty spark says something along the lines of 'Hurry relcaimer, we still have to clear ten more floors like this' :D

The PC port is also a little sketchy these days, having vsync enabled just locked the game up for me so I had to play it at ridiculous framerates which caused a few issues with cut scenes every now and then. Animations also run at 30fps, so everything has a strange jitter to it when moving. The default FOV almost made me sick as well, I had to download a tool to increase it.

Halo 2 - 9/10 - Had lot's of fun playing through this one again, it's basically everything that made Halo 1 great, but bigger and better. I actually wished that the game was a little bit longer in places, they really did nail some of the levels and set pieces. There were still a couple of sections that started to get a little tedious with the Flood again, thankfully they were over quickly and usually placed you back into a much more enjoyable section straight afterwards.

The port for this one felt pretty good, I was able to remap everything to my liking and it ran without issue. The only thing that needed fixing was the FOV again, the crosshair was also off center which felt horrible. It meant that you constantly had to look a good 20-30% higher than you normally would to line up the crosshair on an enemy. Luckily I found a tool that fixed everything, but I believe that this is something that has continued on in later games of the series.

Playing through these has actually left me wanting to play some more Halo, it makes it very frustrating that they've never released any of the other games on PC, It would have been nice if they'd have ported the master chief collection over. From what I've seen that collection has a fixed version of Halo 1 with updated animations and graphics, plus Halo 2 gets a decent looking overhaul. Not something I'm going to run out and buy an Xbox for though.

Soldato
Blackwood Crossing. Really, really clever way of telling a story without the use of cut scenes, things to read / tapes to listen too. And what a story it turns out to be, one that you'll likely never forget. The gameplay itself is a little slow paced at times but that can be forgiven. A unique experience I'm glad I had. 8/10

Soldato
Quake 4. Played this for the first time and whilst you could probably have described it as just another run of the mill straight FPS, they don't really make games like this very often anymore, which is probably why we all enjoyed DOOM 2016 so much. Rather than stale it felt quite refreshing to just dodge, shoot and collect ammo and health picks ups through a variety of levels. I really enjoyed it. 8/10.

Back
Top Bottom