The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
Tomb Raider (2013 version). Having not played a Tomb Raider game since 1996, I thought I'd give a more recent one a try. The story was passable, but some parts were annoying...

A couple of examples being;
Lara holding a gun at an innocent pilots head and essentially causing his death, then not giving a toss. And her sudden realisation close to the end of the game, that her friends body was going to be used as a vessel in order to reincarnate the Sun Queen, despite it being obvious very early on

The QTE's were annoying and the enemies became boring very quickly. On a positive note, I thought the VO was very well done.

5/10

I'm forcing my self through the second one slowly, it's very much the same spiel.. Everything she touches explodes or gets destroyed. Enemies are somehow in places you've had to scale almost impossible climbs to get to and they pop out of nowhere. Every fight is the same.

Play the Uncharted series, a MUCH better adventure game.

Associate
Far Cry 5

Far cry 5 was great at the start but as time went on I noticed how empty the game is.
The bad guys are great for a while, but don't have the same charm as the previous games, and getting attacked in some way 3 times a region became annoying.
The good guys are pointless, thought pastor Jerome would have been great, couldn't care less about him.
That said there wasn't anything wrong it just doesn't feel like a sequel to the past far cry games

7.5/10

Associate
They fixed it now so you can do a save anywhere, it is just when you log back into game again that save gets deleted. So the only safes that being saved (so to speak) are the once were you either sleep in your bed (or bought bed in an Inn) or if you drinking a schnapps.
I've just been looking at some reviews for this game, none that say the game was bad (bar a few people complaining about bugs) but I can't believe Polygon basically said that they can't release a game without black people in. Even if they were trying to go for historical accuracy...

Soldato
Dead Space 2: A solid 8 for this. I used nothing more than the plasma cutter and rifle for the whole game as I did not find any or the other weapons particularly useful in previous playthoughs. I really love this type of game.

Caporegime
The Witcher 2 (8.5/10)

After a bit of a ropey start where I wasn't sure what to make of it, the game got much better and the final bits were fantastic. Right up there with the best games I've played. I played W3 first and so all my questions regarding Philippa Eilhart have been answered. What a great character she turned out to be.

Soldato
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. I tend to play it once every few years, so I know the game pretty well. However, I always get stuck at the part where you have to use the theodolite. Great game, second only to Monkey Island 2. 8/10.

Soldato
Maize

One of those one play through only "interactive experience" games but good humour and can tell the guys making it probably had fun with it. I'd struggle to justify the full price tag but worth it on a sale, but it's also one of those games like Firewatch that you could just watch on Youtube if you're that inclined.

Call of Duty Ghosts

Last one I played was Modern Warfare 3 and like the SP campaign blast on these once in a while. This was felt pretty boring and bland to be fair so can't say I got my fill of action.

Caporegime
BioShock Infinite - did start to drag a bit at the end but I'll give it 8/10. The story was one of the most bizarre and confusing things I've ever seen though. Can't quite get my head around it.

Soldato
Pillers of Eternity 2 Deadfire - 8.5 / 10

+ Well written side quests
+ Plenty of branching options
+ World is very immersive
+ Combat is great
+ Companion banter / music is great

- Main is passable
- Ship combat could be improved slightly

Overall a great game, looking forward to the DLC.

Associate
Far cry 5 - 8/10

Good game and overall enjoyable. Plenty of opportunities to have some great moments.

Unfortunately cursed a little by progressing through the game making it less interesting... Less random enemy encounters and less lively of a world.

Arcade mode is pretty good though. Plenty of content to have some fun with.

Soldato
BioShock Infinite - did start to drag a bit at the end but I'll give it 8/10. The story was one of the most bizarre and confusing things I've ever seen though. Can't quite get my head around it.
I didn't quite grasp it either the first time. I highly recommend watching some of the explanation videos on YouTube, it will make you appreciate the game all the more. Having a second playthrough once you fully understand the plot is also very rewarding I found. The Buried at Sea DLC is both equally brilliant and mind melting - again once fully understand though, it really is a special piece of story telling.

Soldato
Dragon Age Origins. I had a real love/hate relationship with this game throughout the 74 hours I played it! I loved the setting, lore, characters and writing, but at times I hated the combat - finding it repetitive and frustrating. I didn't really embrace the tactics slot part of it so perhaps that is my own fault but I ended up just knocking the difficulty level down to easy about half way through the game. Highlights for me were the main elves/werewolves quest, the banter between the characters and anything Morrigan related, in particular her ritual proposal at the end (do you ever find out what happened to her - in Dragon Age 2 perhaps?) but there were other parts that dragged for me. I guess I'm still fairly new to the 'pure' RPG genre in that I didn't play them in my youth however after recently completing Pillars of Eternity and really enjoying it, I started Dragon Age with great relish. The combat system is very different between the two games though isn't. Still a cracking game, particularly I imagine when it was first released and for fans of that type of combat - I had recently played Star Wars the K.O.T.O.R games and whilst the combat system in those games is similar, I think it was much more difficult in Dragon Age compared to these games. Plus combat with a light sabre doesn't really get old! I think it's definitely at least an 8/10 game but for my own experience a 7.

Last edited:
Associate
Far Cry 5

Always liked the Far Cry games but for me this was the worst. Great graphics and it started well but getting to the end was a bit of a chore.

6/10

Soldato
Nope, inquisition is more of a hybrid between Dragon Age 2 (which is totally different to origins) and Origins, leaning more towards 2.
Haven't played Dragon Age 2 either but just looked at gameplay video on YouTube - it looks like 'normal' combat mechanics where you press a button to swing your weapon? I have to admit I'm much more comfortable with that although in saying that, I though the combat in Pillars of Eternity was spot on - I guess Origins tried to be somewhere in between those 2 types of combat which didn't really appeal to me. I'll have a break from Dragon Age for a bit but will definitely pick up the others. All of a sudden, the majority of the 'big' games in my library seem to fantasy RPGs! Don't want to sicken myself so I've started playing MARS for a change, I believe it's kind of a prequel to Technomancer. Good stuff so far...

Soldato
Haven't played Dragon Age 2 either but just looked at gameplay video on YouTube - it looks like 'normal' combat mechanics where you press a button to swing your weapon? I have to admit I'm much more comfortable with that although in saying that, I though the combat in Pillars of Eternity was spot on - I guess Origins tried to be somewhere in between those 2 types of combat which didn't really appeal to me. I'll have a break from Dragon Age for a bit but will definitely pick up the others. All of a sudden, the majority of the 'big' games in my library seem to fantasy RPGs! Don't want to sicken myself so I've started playing MARS for a change, I believe it's kind of a prequel to Technomancer. Good stuff so far...

Combat in Dragon Age games is fairly straight forward, the first one has the most indepth combat. The 2nd the least amount and the 3rd isn't bad. I loved Origins, but it's super easy to become OP if you spec into certain classes.

As for comparing any of the DA's to Pillars... It doesn't work, they are hugely different games.

Inquisition is a good game though, very pretty, ok'ish story, some great writing and the combat as said, isn't bad.

Mind you, I've somehow got almost 200 hours played time and still not completed the main story! I come back to it every now and then and always start from scratch. My advice is don't do ANY side stuff until you get access to Skyhold as it unlocks a lot more of the game. Anything up until then can be completed after you open up Skyhold. People were put off with the slow pacing and lack of stuff to do early game simply because it's got such a long 'opener' to the game. 15 hours maybe?

Back
Top Bottom