The last game you completed, and rating.

Associate
Hotline Miami

9.5/10

Positives
• Fast paced and fun gameplay that’s deceptively simple. So simple it could be considered repetitive if it wasn’t for the variety of ways you can generally approach each level and the excellent use of tactics, weapons and unlockables.
• Presentation and atmosphere are amazing, evocative and very original.
• Tough but fair. If you die it’s always your own fault. It’s a very rewarding feeling to complete a level you’ve been having trouble with. It’s a cathartic experience.
• Truly instant replays when you die, make the gameplay feel even more kinetic. I died over 1,000 times during the one play through and got an achievement for it!
• Brutal combat animations, and in general the sprite based graphics are a joy.
• The soundtrack is a PERFECT match for the frenetic gameplay experience. So good I bought it as DLC.
• Unlockables (masks with abilities attached, and weapons) really add layers to the gameplay and provide different ways of approaching each level.

Negatives
• Story. I didn’t really get it. I understood the big beats but some stuff definitely got lost due to the style of delivery i.e. it hardly is (delivered) and you really have to be on the ball when the game does give you the odd snippet.
• The Epilogue missions don’t allow varied weapon use. BOOOO!

Overall
I didn’t think I’d enjoy Hotline Miami even a 10th as much as I ended up doing. It’s an absolute retro inspired treat with enough challenge and depth for multiple play through. Just don’t expect an Oscar winning narrative.

:cool:

Soldato
Max Payne 3
Bought it in last winter sale for £7 something, but only just got round to playing and completing it.

9/10
+ The cutscenes are great
+ Really good story-driven gameplay
+ Shooting mechanics are great, hope to see them in GTA V
+ It's always satisfying getting that amazing kill in bullet time :D
+ Soundtrack fits the atmosphere of the game
+ The story was good, with it constantly twisting as the game went on
+ I personally really liked the narrative over the game
+ The graphics and environments are gorgeous

- Seems to drag on at points
- Multiplayer isn't that great, can get boring after a while

Caporegime
Duke Nukem Forever - 7.5/10

It's really not that bad! It was fun from start to finish, and I admit to laughing out loud in a couple places.

The biggest criticism is that it's a product of a previous era. It's a straight-up run and gun game, no AI to speak of, and on Normal difficulty not much of a challenge.

But it was worth every penny of the £4 I spent on it.

Caporegime
Max Payne 3.

+ The best cinematics in a game I've seen yet. This was the best part for me.
+ Voice acting / lip syncing was very good indeed.
+ Combat was on the whole very good fun.

- Camera angles / shooting angles in close quarters - particularly with sighted weapons can be very irritating.
- Game goes on for too long for me.

All in all, some very strong positives, but let down a bit by some weighty negatives. Bit of a one trick pony, like Mafia 2 : what it does well, it does exceedingly well. I wanted to give it at least 8/10 - 8.5/10, but I can't justify that. I'll settle for 7.5, just.

Last edited:
Associate
The walking dead by Telltale games

9/10

+Story driven
+Great character development
+Made you make hard decisions that you may regret later on
+Mad me shed a man tear

-A bit slow in parts
-As it is a point and click, some parts were a bit tedious for those who want to check everything before moving to the next bit.

Associate
Mafia II

8/10

+Excellent Story & Characters
+Satisfying Combat
+World Design is superb (40s New York)

-Very little to do in the open world beyond the main missions
-Not much in the way of replayability.

Associate
System Shock 2

10/10 - Completed it back in the 90's but it is just as good today, even without mods. Takes a dump from upon high on the modern Bioshock games :D

Only took about 8 hours though interestingly, so not as long as I thought!

Associate
Borderlands 2

8/10 - Enjoyed it. Will enjoy it even more 2nd time round on true vault hunter mode as my main criticism for the game was that it was a little to easy.

Caporegime
System Shock 2

10/10 - Completed it back in the 90's but it is just as good today, even without mods. Takes a dump from upon high on the modern Bioshock games :D

Only took about 8 hours though interestingly, so not as long as I thought!

Have a pat on the back from me :) I even like the graphics the way they are/were, and there's no doubt that SS2 is still amazing all these years later.

Associate
Well last night I finally finished Tomb Raider! With 100% upgrades to all weapons and 100% of all maps collectables and challenges done :) Really enjoyed this. Last time I played something this good it was Zelda Twilight Princes on the Wii. Although TR isn't as great it's still a brilliant game. 8.9/10

Associate
Dishonored - 8/10

An unexpected gem. Picked up for next to nothing during the recent Stem sale. I knew from the introduction I'd like this. I love the setting and atmosphere. Silky smooth gameplay with multiple paths/options to complete missions.

Hmm. So who else started all stealthy and nice, but went gung ho towards the end. I don't know why I did it. Just one kill and I turned into a complete Psycho and took out the entire zone out with my gun and knife.

Back
Top Bottom