The last game you completed, and rating.

Man of Honour
Of course it can. It isn't hard to understand! 10/10 is the top tier in my ratings, and there are many games in my top tier.

A few months back in another thread there was a debate about this, and someone made the very valid point that on a 1-10 linear scale there tends to be a disproportionate number of games scoring above 5 in people's ratings (or in other words, 'average' games tend to get above average scores. If a game scores 5/10 people think it must be pretty bad and 3 or 4 out of 10 is viewed as downright awful.

Of course, people can rate games how they want but it is one reason why when I do my mini-reviews I don't normally give rating just +/- points (exception being this thread of course as them's the rules!) as ratings are so subjective depending on what sort of scaling the individual likes to use.

Associate
Aliens: Colonial Marines

Judged as an Aliens game - 7/10

Judged as a game - 3/10

A lot of time spent admiring their recreation of the all the Aliens sets on LV-426 and there was some serious attention to detail.

But the general game dynamics (and obviously the story-line...) REALLY let it down a lot!

Soldato
Metro Last Light - It was slightly less linear than the first one which was a plus. I thought the graphics were pretty good and an interesting story line. An annoyance for me was that advanced physx was enabled from the start even with an AMD graphics card. It caused some major stuttering which got progressively worse though out the game. I would want to play through the game again from the start.

8/10

Associate
Tomb Raider - good graphics, nice level design, average story. Easy but thats the way I like it.
I enjoyed trying to find all the secrets which was spoilt at the end by the game saying I'd done 98% and the levels saying I'd done 100%. Not really much exploration and the tombs were meh. I hated the "on rails" parts of the game. Press "x" when this happens and "y" when that happens. It trys to be cinematic but it just doesn't pull me in.

7/10

Soldato
GRID 2.

Thoroughly enjoyed it throughout but loved GRID before anyway. Was much the same. Graphics were pretty and fun handling. Didn't enjoy the drift events anywhere near as much as the first game.

9/10 for me. Good solid fun

Ken

Ken

Associate
Tomb Raider - 3/10

The graphics in this game are impressive but other than that there's not much to remember from this game. You look back at the original Tomb Raider and TR2 and what made them great experiences and strip all that away and you have the 2013 TR. The QTEs and easy puzzles and obvious routes to progress just makes the game feel like a cinematic showcase rather than the deep, difficult, immersive and pure exploration and survival experience that the first 2 were. They fudged it up big time in my opinion with all the glaring features like QTE and campfire sessions to increase skills that the developers obviously hoped gamers would love but again imo just was completely unnecessary and ruin the game. The weapon and upgrade system in the latest TR just didn't appeal to me. I wasn't keen to obtain the next upgrade or more importantly need to upgrade. And what's with the bloody bow and selection of arrows? How about a wider variety of enemies instead and bring back duel uzis. Create a plot to involve actual tombs with plenty of secrets and accommodate a friggin yeti and maybe a T-Rex too :p

Shocking. So disappointed.

Associate
Finished Batman Arkham Asylum recently, superb from start to finish. Had a few CTDs but otherwise can't think of a single thing worth complaining about. Easy 9/10

Playing and loving Tomb Raider now, re. the comment above I am wondering how good the earlier ones must be. Maybe in the next sale...

Soldato
Of course it can. It isn't hard to understand! 10/10 is the top tier in my ratings, and there are many games in my top tier.

10/10 is 100%. If it has any negatives that has to bring the score down. No game is 10/10 or 100% in my opinion.

Ken sums up my views of Tomb Raider perfectly. The QTE's alone bring it down by 20 or 30%. The linear nature of the game another 20% and that's before comparison with the earlier games (which you have to do when it's a sequel or prequel). The skill system was put in just to add something to do the game that was glaringly missing (i.e. a half decent story and gameplay).

That's my opinion but over glorifying something purely based on graphics gives the wrong impression to other people who may buy the game.

M.

Soldato
Metal Gear Rising: Revnegeance

7/10

Pros:
- Fun!
- Pretty
- Once you've learnt how to parry, it is very rewarding when you chain a combo together
- I miss a classic boss fight. This has a lot of them.

Cons:
- Max 1080p. First ever console port and to be fair, it's been done well with a few graphical additions, but this may annoy some people.
- Short: 6-8 hours
- The tutorial on how to parry is pretty rubbish. I somehow made it 75% through the game having not learnt it (I died lots). Got stuck against a boss so started researching how to do it properly. Was so happy I finally aced it, that I started the game again :)

Man of Honour
^I'm deadly serious :)
Bear in mind however I didn't play the game until several months after release i.e. after the mega 4GB patch came out with improved graphics and a bunch of other fixes. I mean playing the game felt like being on the set of aliens at times, they nailed the sound effects, heck you've even got Bishop showing up.

I tried playing AVP classic not that long ago and it was awful, really showing its age.

Associate
GTA: V

Such a fun game, it felt like Vice city all over again but even better.

Pros:

- vehicles are fun to use again
- I actually care about the characters
- the city is gorgeous and so realistic, so many times have I crashed into oncoming traffic because I was engrossed appreciating the views.
- side missions/games are awesome!

cons

- a little bit short compared to the other games
- no DLC yet! (yea yea i know im impatiant, but i want more!)

Back
Top Bottom