The last game you completed, and rating.

Soldato
I'll probably pick it up when the GOTY edition drops in price, can't believe how much DLC is available but how on earth would you even use 50% of it... ah replays.

I bought the GOTY edition off a guy on Ebay for £14 a few weeks ago.
Logged over 200 hours, played normal mode, now on TVHM, with a few side missions to do. Siren lvl 57 and done all the boss fights solo. Gutted, when I killed Hyperius, only to find out you no longer get Seraph crystals in TVHM.
Will probably start UVHM next week.
This game really surprised me, as I did`nt think it was the sort of game I could get into. But I really love it, there are a couple of parts where I have to force myself, but the rest is fantastic. I might just get the first 3 headhunter packs whilst they are going cheap.

Associate
Mass Effect 3 - I didn't play this when it first came out as I read all the reviews saying the ending was horrendous, this put me off from buying it for 2 years until quite recently when I picked it up from the Origin store for 50% off with all the dlc.
The game for me had some of my best gaming moments ever and I can honestly say I feel satisfied with my chosen ending although a little disappointed there wasn't a scene where you meet up with your chosen love interest and the rest of your gang.
Apart from that and a few minor niggles it was a great game for me.

8/10 with the ending and some crappy parts in the story e.g. it didn't really matter if you killed the rachni queen or Wrex as someone just replaced them and made the same decisions.

Oh and I have to say the Citadel dlc gets a 10/10 for me as it was just simply awesome, I wouldn't have changed anything in it as it was a welcome change to the serious nature of the main story to have this little comedy gem in the mix.

Soldato
I agree that ME3 had some great, moments, but totally disagree about the Citadel DLC... Fan service is the lowest form of art, a (not) surprising addition from a developer sooo concerned with their artistic integrity. I found it difficult to sit through tbh, as it has no place in the series, and is literally just each character standing there trying to say something funny.... And this is without mentioning the introduction of a totally unneeded 'new' antagonist, instead of maybe addressing one of the hundreds of issues they had with the existing ones!

Leviathan was a much, much better DLC.

Associate
Metro Last Light.

I bought this solely because the graphics looked good but it turned out to be a great purchase :) I got it for £7 in a steam sale and it was well worth it.

Very challenging in places, some of the levels you really have to conserve ammo otherwise you will run out. Storyline was also very engaging.

Will have to retrospectively play Metro 2033 now.

8/10

Soldato
LOTR: War in the North.

Reasonably diverting, but nothing special. I would give it a 6/10. Worth playing, but I wouldn't want to have paid any large amount for money for it.

Caporegime
Misery 2.1 mod for Call of Pripyat. Not sure whether to give this 8.5 or 9, but I thought it was very, very good. That said, I will say that it took some time for me to acclimatize to some of the differences, which add to the rpg elements of stalker. Overall, I thought most of those were a positive addition.

Probably too many positives to list, but I'll list a few negatives (personal preferences) :

* the screen going black during the use of a medkit

* bandages 'can' seem to be largely ineffective

* the poltergeist / areas + health damage wasn't much fun at all - though, as said, I got used to it

It's going to take a good mod to hold my interest now after having played that...

Associate
Dead Space, finally got round to playing it, it was ok, got a bit tedious & repetative in the end but i still enjoyed it. 6/10

I started playing this last week. It starts off nicely. I though it was going to be a proper Si-Fi horror. But as the games goes on it becomes tedious and annoying due to the cheap jumpy scares instead of actually being tense and scary.

I finally boarded the ship thinking this is it, it'll show me a video and finish the game. But noooo.....I've got to continue on the planet. Does this game ever end?

Associate
Shhh!!!!, some AAA developers or EA might hear you. I can just hear them: They want shorter games? We can give them that.

Be careful what you wish for. The playing time of many games today is ridiculously short, so surely a game having a long playing time can't be a bad thing? If it seems too long after a while, there's something wrong with the game itself, or its story. Then it's time to stop playing it anyway, regardless of its length.

Associate
Bioshock Infinite

It's certainly a well polished game, and I did enjoy it for the most part, but I don't think I'll be replaying this any time soon. I found the storyline of Dishonoured more interesting.

7/10

Associate
Diablo 3 + RoS expansion.

Good thing this game is so short, I might have fallen asleep. I started on the hardest difficulty and after 20 level I didn't even bother dealing out my skills anymore. There is no challenge, enemies are all just different coloured blobs with a hit point bar and no attack strategy. I died maybe 3 or 4 times, only because I never bothered to look at my health bar. Gameplay at level 10 feels the same as level 50, just with higher numbers. Character customisation is so watered down that your build is determined by number generators, not by player strategy. Diablo is the most anti-climactic boss fight in recent memory.

2/5.

Associate
Diablo 3 + RoS expansion.

Good thing this game is so short, I might have fallen asleep. I started on the hardest difficulty and after 20 level I didn't even bother dealing out my skills anymore. There is no challenge, enemies are all just different coloured blobs with a hit point bar and no attack strategy. I died maybe 3 or 4 times, only because I never bothered to look at my health bar. Gameplay at level 10 feels the same as level 50, just with higher numbers. Character customisation is so watered down that your build is determined by number generators, not by player strategy. Diablo is the most anti-climactic boss fight in recent memory.

2/5.

I'm no Diablo 3 fan, but judging an ARPG on one playthrough (from the sounds of it) is like dismissing half life 2 because the opening level didn't resolve the whole plot, so you gave up.

ARPGs are almost universally easy the first playthrough with any character, and it's the higher difficulties that truly make the game (and which make your character unique). It's admittedly a major flaw in the genre for a lot of people, but I figure it's worth highlighting that it's the game type rather than the game.

Associate
I'm no Diablo 3 fan, but judging an ARPG on one playthrough (from the sounds of it) is like dismissing half life 2 because the opening level didn't resolve the whole plot, so you gave up.

ARPGs are almost universally easy the first playthrough with any character, and it's the higher difficulties that truly make the game (and which make your character unique). It's admittedly a major flaw in the genre for a lot of people, but I figure it's worth highlighting that it's the game type rather than the game.

That might be true, but I don't think that's a good enough excuse anymore in 2014. Dark Souls for example is great fun on the first playthrough, and just get better from there on. Diablo 3 already has higher difficulty options but they lock them out to new playthroughs. I've played video games before thank you Blizzard, let me choose a harder difficulty from the start. Grinding out through the entire game before it starts to get good is just sloppy game design.

Back
Top Bottom