The Last Kingdom - new series for BBC based on Bernard Cornwell's Saxon stories

Soldato
Just catching up with season 3 on Blu-ray bloody hell its epic its probably my favourite show on TV. Well I used to watch it on TV until BBC cancelled it. Idiots.

At the same time its conflicting because I know the history already and this is fiction - so I keep wanting to say "that didn't happen! They made Alfred into a nonce!" but at the same time I can enjoy it as pure fiction. Just don't get your history lessons from it.

Soldato
Just catching up with season 3 on Blu-ray bloody hell its epic its probably my favourite show on TV. Well I used to watch it on TV until BBC cancelled it. Idiots.

At the same time its conflicting because I know the history already and this is fiction - so I keep wanting to say "that didn't happen! They made Alfred into a nonce!" but at the same time I can enjoy it as pure fiction. Just don't get your history lessons from it.

Yeah I read the fact behind the fiction for series 3. It was quite interesting to read and the big differences. Edwards and Aethelflaed were a lot stronger leaders in real life and did a lot more in uniting the Saxons (which is obvious when you know the fact) although I was really pleased to see both in the thick of the fight in series 3 rather than have them stand at the battles edge overlooking.

Its probably best not to read the actual fact till after the series as I started to think "that never happened" and "they never would have done that".

I saw it as the medieval version of Sharpe, you know Uhtread is never going to die but at times will be sorely in trouble and how he gets out of it. Really good story telling. Pity its meant to be the last series.

Associate
I love this show, and had quite a surreal experience seeing part of it being filmed.

I had some time to kill waiting to pick my mum up from a hospital appointment, so I went and got a KFC, parked by the beach to eat it.

As I was sat tucking into my zinger tower some bloke walked by wearing a fur, carrying a sword and shield, then a bunch of others walked by. So I got out of my car to see what was going on and there was loads of them on the beach.

It was a beach that was heavily poluted from coal mining so the sand is quite dark, they also filmed the opening to Alien 3 there many years ago.

It was the bit set in Iceland where he had been captured and taken abroad then had to escape back to england.

Associate
Glad its getting another series, seems like one of those shows that you expect to get cancelled as it doesnt seem to get the large viewers or hype but keeps getting renewed

Soldato
Glad its getting another series, seems like one of those shows that you expect to get cancelled as it doesnt seem to get the large viewers or hype but keeps getting renewed

One of the most underrated shows on TV. Think it just got overshadowed by bigger ones like GOT and Vikings. I am hopeful that there is more to come after S5 as there is still book material left that they can use.

Caporegime
I love this show, and had quite a surreal experience seeing part of it being filmed.

I had some time to kill waiting to pick my mum up from a hospital appointment, so I went and got a KFC, parked by the beach to eat it.

As I was sat tucking into my zinger tower some bloke walked by wearing a fur, carrying a sword and shield, then a bunch of others walked by. So I got out of my car to see what was going on and there was loads of them on the beach.

It was a beach that was heavily poluted from coal mining so the sand is quite dark, they also filmed the opening to Alien 3 there many years ago.

It was the bit set in Iceland where he had been captured and taken abroad then had to escape back to england.
what beach was it?

Soldato

It seems to exist in a perpetual renewal limbo the cast were anxious when they weren't sure they were getting a season two but it happened after Netfix picked them up... pretty sure I read somewhere flix has plans for a six and seven, could just be unconfirmed rumour though spent a long time on bernard cornwall's site reading comments etc

The blast beach near Seaham

Wasn't there some scenes filmed at Bamburgh Castle i.e. bebbanburg, on the beach I recall?

edit: yep. https://lundgrentours.com/blog/filming-of-the-last-kingdom/

Last edited:
Soldato
Thought I'd just bump this a bit as currently watching two episodes an evening. Good stuff and the music score is hauntingly awesome (OST CD on order from Amazon).

It's from a slightly different approach than Vikings, which kind of showed the Norsemen as smash and grab, kind of medieval commuters one minute in Wessex the next back in Norway.

And if you're in the least bit squeamish, S3 E7 contains a genuinely unwatchable moment,
when AEthelwold gets one of his eyes put out with a red hot poker, as penalty for treason.
Just... no way, I had to walk off into the kitchen while that bit was on, until the screaming stopped and was still troubled by it going to bed two hours later.

Back
Top Bottom