The Last of Us (HBO, from Creator of Chernobyl) - No game spoilers please

Joel hasn't been portrayed as being weak at all. He's 50+ and has had a few injuries and a pretty brutal life. He's also running on very little sleep when they're on the road, so it's not unfeasible to see he'd start having issues with his heart or anxiety when he's trying to look after a girl who potentially has the cure.

Not only that, but he opened up to his brother, as he's clearly the only person he 100% trusts.

Do people want Patrick Bateman as the lead male or something?

Last edited:
I saw a podcast on YouTube the other day where they briefly talked about The Last of Us and Zombies shows in general that made me think and realise something which is blatantly obvious.

Zombies shows is not about zombies.

Zombies are boring, imagine watching a show just about zombies, it would be like Joel, Ellie and Tess on that roof top looking down. They just lay there, walk around a little, not doing much. It’s not that fun. The fun part is the humans, you are watching the humans. The show isn’t about Zombies, it’s about humans. It is the interactions of humans in this world from the surroundings that we watch, the tensions from zombies is merely 1 aspect of the show. In this show, it’s about the relationship, a father and daughter relationship* between Joel and Ellie. It’s the love between a father and daughter. That’s what the game is about and that is what this show is about. The zombies is merely a backdrop.

It’s like Jaws isn’t about Sharks (if you ever listened to Kermode and Mayo you’ll know what I mean).

What was going on at the table? That scene didn't make any sense, are they trying to imply Joel is a racist now?

The dog scene didn't make much sense either, Ellie was infected but she's immune, also attack dogs aren't exactly friendly. They changed a few scenes, the one at the end was handled poorly, Joel if I remember correctly fell onto glass in the game, also why did he pull out the knife? Seems like a quick way to go if you want to bleed out.

They've destroyed his character, it's what hollywood does to white men, Drunkmann probably "fixing" his mistakes in the first season. It's not enough that all the factions are lead by strong independent women which is about as realistic as communism working under these circumstances, they had to destroy Joel, he's a shell of the character he was the in game. They even gave his brothers partner a lost child because, Joel can't even have that.

It sounds like you are incapable of enjoying it tbh - I didn’t even think of race / gender issues during the show.

RE: the communism remarks, it was supposed to be amusing and ironic - they’ve gone from gun toting, forces serving Murica’ Muricans to living in a commune - which IS the sharing of everything. There was nothing more to it.

I also don’t think Joel is being shown as ‘weak’ at all, just totally and understandably exhausted.

Joel hasn't been portrayed as being weak at all...........

Do people want Patrick Bateman as the lead male or something?

Sure...

No, just Joel from the first game would have been nice... They're completely different characters.

It sounds like you are incapable of enjoying it tbh - I didn’t even think of race / gender issues during the show.

RE: the communism remarks, it was supposed to be amusing and ironic - they’ve gone from gun toting, forces serving Murica’ Muricans to living in a commune - which IS the sharing of everything. There was nothing more to it.

I also don’t think Joel is being shown as ‘weak’ at all, just totally and understandably exhausted.

The way Joel looked at them when he announced she was family was weird, not at all how you would expect him to react.

Naa, it was political propaganda, Hollywood clearly don't feel the need to hide it...There was no reason to add that dialogue.

Last edited:
What was going on at the table? That scene didn't make any sense, are they trying to imply Joel is a racist now?
Yes, of course that's what they are doing. Joel who had a mixed race daughter is a racist now :rolleyes:

You seem to have issues picking up on emotional cues and subtext that other people don't....and then replacing it with subtext that isn't even there.

C Kent said:
ebilcake said:
Why was a 14 year girl given birth control??! Do these communists happen to be pedos?! Weird gift for 14 year old.

Yes it was weird.

How was a weird? It was practical. Do you think tampon factories and the supply chain are running exactly as normal in the apocalypse? A reusable alternative is much preffered, and it reminds us that Ellie is still a young teenager and ultimately still vulnerable, which was kind of a theme in this week's episode, like her admitting her reliance on Joel. Also not aimed at you, but just lol at thinking it was birth control.

One thing that kind of takes me out a little bit is the lack of ammo conservation. Like, I get that Ellie needed practice, I guess, but it seems like you'd want to hold on to every last bullet like you life literally depended on it. Maybe they could've practiced before setting off or something.

As an aside, I think the actress playing Ellie is pretty darn good - I buy her in this, definitely more so now that she has shown more emotional vulnerability in the most recent Ep.

One thing that kind of takes me out a little bit is the lack of ammo conservation. Like, I get that Ellie needed practice, I guess, but it seems like you'd want to hold on to every last bullet like you life literally depended on it. Maybe they could've practiced before setting off or something.

I chalked that up to they got a healthy amount of ammo from Tommy.

the USA is also awash with guns and bullets, and Joel said that millions of people died within 24 hours of the outbreak.

Stands to reason there would be plenty of guns and ammo left really, even 20 years later.

I imagine they can make their own in Jackson even.

Last edited:
I disagree, to me this makes Joel feel more human and 3 dimensional rather than a mindless brute. He's lost his daughter and living in a harsh and brutal world, I'd be shocked if he didn't have some emotional damage from that.

He was never portrayed as a mindless brute......

Sure...

No, just Joel from the first game would have been nice... They're completely different characters.

The way Joel looked at them when he announced she was family was weird, not at all how you would expect him to react.

Naa, it was political propaganda, Hollywood clearly don't feel the need to hide it...There was no reason to add that dialogue.
I thought it was more a look of, i havnt seen my brother in ages, risked my life to go out to look for him(remember the reason he took the job to take ellie was to get the battery to go and look for him) to find not only is he hold up at a settlement that seems to be idyllic considering the current situation but he appears to be married/in a relationship and because of the no radio policy its the first he is hearing of it..

Came for the episode talk, stayed for the triggered comments :cry:

My god some of you really do have issues, you are constantly looking for things to get enraged about.

Panic attacks outrage!!!! No wonder mental health in men is such a problem when some of you see it as weakness. What that guy has been through it would be a miracle if he didn't have mental health problems.

Contraception!!!! :cry::cry::cry: Hollywood pedos!!!!!!! I think your Qanon meeting is missing you.

I thought it was another really good episode. I've never played the games and what you guys that have need to get your heads around is this wasn't made for you. It was made for a much bigger audience than gamers. Either accept that or maybe give it a miss.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom