The Last of Us (HBO, from Creator of Chernobyl) - No game spoilers please

Just got done with episode 9 last night, they done a cracking job, really enjoyed it, Pedro done Joel great Justice, you would be hard pressed to find a better Joel in my opinion, now looking forward to the game coming to PC in a few days

Just got done with episode 9 last night, they done a cracking job, really enjoyed it, Pedro done Joel great Justice, you would be hard pressed to find a better Joel in my opinion, now looking forward to the game coming to PC in a few days
Agree

Absolutely superb Joel in my opinion. Ellie I can take or leave.

He carried the entire series for me. Looking forward to S2

I never understand why people who don't like something will stay around to argue their point. It's like if I didn't like football, then buy a ticket for a football game and complain in the stadium, surrounded by football fans, about how rubbish football is.

There are people who take it to the extreme but that aside maybe because they have an attachment to the source material and want to see a show which does it justice - which is less likely to happen if people instead of complaining just go silent. Then on the other hand you have people gatekeeping complaints if someone hasn't watched the whole show so "shouldn't" have an opinion.

This show was a mixed bag for me - there were some bits I really enjoyed but ultimately it settled far to much into generic The Walking Dead territory after initially having promise of a fresher take on the genre - I really don't understand the high praise from some - mostly it is competently rather than masterfully written spoiled by over-embellishing various aspects which seems more about pandering to the pundits than best developing the story.

Agree

Absolutely superb Joel in my opinion. Ellie I can take or leave.

He carried the entire series for me. Looking forward to S2

I thought Bella did a good job acting wise, but I just didn't buy her as the original incarnation of Ellie from the game - which suits the theme better than the character in this show. I think to be fair you'd struggle to find an actor who could carry off the complexities required and it would have fallen flat on its face without Pedro who I thought mostly did a superb job with Joel until the writing did him dirty.

I thought Bella did a good job acting wise, but I just didn't buy her as the original incarnation of Ellie from the game - which suits the theme better than the character in this show. I think to be fair you'd struggle to find an actor who could carry off the complexities required and it would have fallen flat on its face without Pedro who I thought mostly did a superb job with Joel until the writing did him dirty.

Agreed on the acting. She did a good job as an actress but to me she wasn't 'Ellie'. While Pedro was Joel through and through. I've not read through this thread, but I'd be surprised to find anyone complaining about Joel.

Agreed on the acting. She did a good job as an actress but to me she wasn't 'Ellie'. While Pedro was Joel through and through. I've not read through this thread, but I'd be surprised to find anyone complaining about Joel.
Pedro is different to game Joel, just like Bella is different to game Ellie.

Pedro is more of the irretrievably damaged man in the show. The game you see a lot more of Joel's softer side, the homebody Southern dad vibe. Mainly down to the pacing, there's just not as much time to fill out that side of his character which you get through a lot of the incidental dialogue in the game.

They're both great performances....my only question mark with Bella is .....

in part 2, Ellie is a killer badass and straight up murders loads of fully grown dudes.... the facial animation as she guts people is visceral. I'm not really sure how Bella's going to pull off being a cold blooded badass.....she was great as kid Ellie...but hmm.

I enjoyed the show as a visual. It's a little slow in places doesn't really go anywhere, is an easy enough watch. Have no interest in the game, probably like many who will end up watching, but curious if one particular thing that happens in the show is explained in the game...

In the episode (5 or 6) with the old man sniper up in the window of that house, before the young kid gets bitten. WTF is the big bad super monster thing that comes out of the ground (with the other infected) and kills the rebel leader. It's not mentioned or spoken about at all as being something out of the ordinary, despite being almost 3m tall, built like the Hulk, and looking nothing like any other infect person in the show at all

In the episode (5 or 6) with the old man sniper up in the window of that house, before the young kid gets bitten. WTF is the big bad super monster thing that comes out of the ground (with the other infected) and kills the rebel leader. It's not mentioned or spoken about at all as being something out of the ordinary, despite being almost 3m tall, built like the Hulk, and looking nothing like any other infect person in the show at all
It's a bloater, the final form of someone who gets infected

Finished it Friday night. As someone who has just recently completed the game for the first time (before watching) I found it a little underwhelming overall. It started great and thought we were in for a treat, ep 3 was a little unexpected and a bit of a deviation on the story but thought it was well done. Felt like it sort of dipped in and out of both the games story and good entertainment and finished hurriedly. The best bit of the game is that finale but the last episode of the show hurried it along in just a few minutes, felt like it hurt some of the emotion and mood. Granted its a 20 hour game squeezed into 9 TV shows though.

I echo what most people are saying about the casting. It's hard to explain but I suppose when you read a book you have a picture in your mind what the characters look like. When you play the game you know what they look like, Joel was close but I think Ellie was quite a way off. Still, pretty solid show overall though and not too zombie heavy for those with a bit of Walking Dead fatigue.

Just finished it and thought it was great.

It did seem a bit rushed in places but I guess they were trying to fit so much content into such a small space.

You could have had a whole series on Ron Swanson...... I mean Bill.

The way they created the bond between the two leads was fantastic though. As a father myself I can relate to a lot of it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom