The Last of Us (HBO, from Creator of Chernobyl) - No game spoilers please

Look at him. Sucking up to her with jokes he doesn't even like, in unknown territory. Feeding giraffes like they're at the zoo. Letting her race off/disappear all the time. The list goes on.

Entering simp territory.
Men can't be kind to teenage girls?
Bet you are a lovely person to be around.

Look at him. Sucking up to her with jokes he doesn't even like, in unknown territory. Feeding giraffes like they're at the zoo.
Sounds like being a parent, often laughing at jokes that aren't funny my son tells me, going to places that don't interest me but give him great joy - almost like Joel was being a surrogate parent to Ellie #mindblown ;)

Sounds like being a parent, often laughing at jokes that aren't funny my son tells me, going to places that don't interest me but give him great joy - almost like Joel was being a surrogate parent to Ellie #mindblown ;)
I stopped laughing at my sons unfunny jokes once he hit 13 give or take, when he was young yeah sure. But that's half the problem with how the show handled the relationship between Joel and Ellie, it wasnt earnt so to speak compared to playing through the game, they had to try and force it rather than a naturally developed one.

And you think someone laughing at a lame, unfunny joke would normalise/help with the emotional trauma of the aftermath of those events?
Absolutely, something inane and innocent as a lame joke can break the tension in moments of trauma - it's not a cure all but it's a step towards breaking the focus on the event.

How bad is the writing if moments later someone is cracking a your mum joke after murdering some dude?
I believe it's a few days, perhaps weeks later unless Joel is demonstrating wolverine healing abilities. While not implicitly stated, it felt like some time had passed due to him not really appeared to be stumbling or in much pain after his stabbing.

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone's a fan of Kermode and Mayo's film review. They reviewed TLoU on a special podcast, and were gushing over it. Said it could potentially be up there with the likes of The Wire as one of the best TV shows ever. Not saying I agree or disagree; make of it what you will.

Very difficult to take the media seriously, particularly the BBC, it's a competent show, slightly above average, that also fell off as it progressed. And it's up there with The Wire, peak GOT, The Sorprano's et al?

This isn't even comprable with early TWD, Stranger Things knocks this into a cocked hat, House of the Dragon was also clearly a better TV show than this. The list goes on...

Last edited:
I believe it's a few days, perhaps weeks later unless Joel is demonstrating wolverine healing abilities. While not implicitly stated, it felt like some time had passed due to him not really appeared to be stumbling or in much pain after his stabbing.
Yes, but its moments later on screen. It isn't good writing no matter what way you look at it.

Very difficult to take the media seriously, particularly the BBC, it's a competent show, slightly above average, that also fell off as it progressed. And it's up there with The Wire et al?

This isn't even comprable with early TWD, Stranger Things knocks this into a cocked hat, House of the Dragon was also clearly a better TV show than this.
I wouldn't pay Kermode or Mayo any notice, they are the epitome of 2 dudes that look like they huff their own farts :cry: it's not even one of the best examples of zombie/infected genre, let alone pushing for bestest tv show eva!

Yes, but its moments later on screen. It isn't good writing no matter what way you look at it.
A full 7 days since the last episode and clearly a passage of time has passed, hardly moments later.

FWIW - with regards something breaking the tension of trauma, I am speaking entirely from personal experience, not just arguing for the sake of it. Something simplistic, silly and inane can be the break point that pulls you out from a spiral of hopelessness. It's an interrupt, a focus break, it simply works.

Anyway, we're going around in circles, it's an impasse and we have differing opinions - of the minor issues in that last episode, a lame joke is way at the bottom of the list and barely worth attention - surely we should be addressing Joel Wick ;)

Last edited:
Well, that depends on if you think Joel going around shooting everyone like a bad fps game was the right call or not, then again I suppose they have to fill the narrative on Joel being unhinged and a murderer for the motive of the remaining story to work in s2. Ultimately its a flaw of the bad story/writing of the 2nd game that could have been changed in the tv show.

Men can't be kind to teenage girls?
Bet you are a lovely person to be around.

Yeah, well out of harms way. Not in an urban environment where some filthy peasants might be prowling about looking to shank you...

Moreover, if Joel has survived this long and is alluded to having a shady past, done some heinous things or whatever, he'd of been like Kyle Reece and straightened that stupid bint out on day one, explaining how her dumb hubris attitude in a world of anarchy will soon get them both killed. But here he is at the end of it all, meandering to the destination in plain view without a care in the world, just asking to get bent over again. I guess the only explantation for this re complacency, is simpy Joel is so far gone, so consumed with fawning over a douchebag teenager and satisfying his own neediness, he's utterly oblivious to deploying any semblance of the vigilance he had at the start of this series. What a loser :cry:

Are the writers that responsible for 'action' sequences? More of a directing issue IMO.

Sure they are. They said that old man Joel goes into the unknown, badly outnumbered, and slays everyone with a rifle in close-quarters combat without breaking a sweat.

It's going to suck whoever directs it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom