The Last of Us (HBO, from Creator of Chernobyl) - No game spoilers please

Soldato
Yeah, quite a bit more. Don't get me wrong, they are doing a fantastic job with the TV show and I love it, but they've got to chop a 20~ hour game down to an 9~ hour TV show, so it's only natural that some context and world building will unfortunately get missed out. It's well worth playing the game if you're able to. :)
I’m halfway through the Metro series on PC so probably good for post-apocalyptic stories right now but once the PC version has been out a while (and cheaper) it’ll definitely be on my list!

Caporegime
How much intelligence do bloaters have? Or are they mindless brutes?
They aren't any more intelligent.

In the game they can't see either (like the standard clickers) but there sonar is less refined.

They are just very strong and much more immune to damage. I doubt we'll see another in the series.

Associate
Damn I must have been watching a different series, as I think the past 2 episodes have been pretty poor and it's becoming very tiresome already.

Then again I never played the game, so I am not watching through nostalgia goggles.

What was the point of Karen's gang and attempting to give her any character development?

Caporegime
Damn I must have been watching a different series, as I think the past 2 episodes have been pretty poor and it's becoming very tiresome already.

Then again I never played the game, so I am not watching through nostalgia goggles.

What was the point of Karen's gang and attempting to give her any character development?
On one side of the coin, it's a filler episode.

On the other side of the coin, to shows that there are more dangerous things than the infected in the world, and that is people.

Soldato
They aren't any more intelligent.

In the game they can't see either (like the standard clickers) but there sonar is less refined.

They are just very strong and much more immune to damage. I doubt we'll see another in the series.
But in the series it seems like the bloater can see hence charging at Karen and that guy.

I think there was a scene in a trailer where they showed a bloater in a tunnel, don't remember seeing that.

Caporegime
I thought she was well cast personally.
Someone completely out of their depth trying to live up to her brother's legacy. She clearly had no hope of holding on to leadership long term so she gave them vengeance against the rats to focus them in the short term.

Associate
I hate to badmouth the actress, but even from her first scene with the doctor, I immediately thought she was a really naff choice. It felt like they tried to go for an unhinged, threatening, almost dictator-like leader, but she didn't even come close to being able to pull off those vibes. Maybe something Rosamund Pike-esque from Gone Girl would've been better - icy cold, detatched yet calculating who can explode in an instant would've been more unnerving. Well at least she's over and done with already.

Caporegime
That isn't what they were going for at all though :confused: In the last episode Perry literally said that they loved her brother and were all with her. She wasn't unhinged or a dictator.

Associate
That isn't what they were going for at all though :confused: In the last episode Perry literally said that they loved her brother and were all with her. She wasn't unhinged or a dictator.

The first scene we see with her, she's threatening someone - a doctor no less (who would obviously be a valuable asset in any community) - with death and then she actually does kill him. She's vengeful for her brother, almost to a fault - she orders the death of an entire group of people like it's nothing. Perry raises a serious concern/threat with the crater that they should deal with, but she's so hellbent on Henry she ignores it. They're not exactly rational actions. Maybe dictator was the wrong word, tyrant is probably more apt.

Soldato
I couldnt work out if the threat they should have dealt with was the massive hoarde and the bloater, tendrils getting into the safe zone or something else. I guess it was sortof implied as the truck went into a hole and they all came out but it was just a bulging floor.

Back
Top Bottom