The Left Handed Build

Associate
OP
You seriously need a case mate... That just looks like a tragedy in the making lol

Even if you rig up some sort of test bench so it's all open-plan but actually fixed onto something...

I thought about setting up a test bench. But with my trapped nerve & Mrs Piggins foot, I just have not had the time.
As for the tragedy, everyone is banded from the room this is kept in :)

When is the case arriving?! :)

But those 580's look nice :)

kd

The case is making good progress @ the moment.
There is an actual design now, with CAD drawings.
So progress should be swift. :D

Associate
OP
The 'deliberate mistake' looks like a small amount of EXTRA thermal padding just to the top right of the RAM chips. I don't think that was padded on the stock cooler

You are correct about there not being any thermal pad being in this area on the original but on the EK diagram there is.

Is this a quiz? If so I think it's the lack of thermal pads somewhere - either the fiddly small ones on the mosfets or the rather more obviously naked R125 chips.

Spot on M8, left the pads off the R125 chips.
I got so excited when doing the block, I forgot to put them on (even thought to my self how generous EK have become with the quantities they ship in the packs) :rolleyes:
Luckily, when I was doing the second card I spotted the mistake & put the pads on.
This could have been a costly error :(

Associate
OP
Even thought I have been incapacitated with my bad arm, it has not stopped me spending money.

DSCF2254.jpg

The boxes keep on rolling in. (much to the displeasure of Mrs Piggin)

DSCF2255.jpg

I see something shiny

DSCF2257.jpg

Individually rapping is not what its cracked up to be :rolleyes:

DSCF2259.jpg

A quick group shot

DSCF2266.jpg

Thought I would give EK compression fittings a go this time.

DSCF2268.jpg

Very good quality

DSCF2270.jpg

I don't know if I will go with white pipe again but thought I would try it out.

DSCF2262.jpg

Soldato
I'm sure you can make this up to Mrs. Piggin! Still hardly costs as much as a couple of pairs of shoes! Also I'm sure you'll get more use out of the PC then shoes! In fact she'll probably get more use out of the PC than shoes! :D

That's some nice shiny bits though :)

kd

Associate
OP
I'm sure you can make this up to Mrs. Piggin! Still hardly costs as much as a couple of pairs of shoes! Also I'm sure you'll get more use out of the PC then shoes! In fact she'll probably get more use out of the PC than shoes! :D

That's some nice shiny bits though :)

kd

Thanks kd,
The problem is Mrs Piggin uses the PC more than me @ the moment.
I hardly get a look in, as she is searching the internet for 'cheap' shoes :rolleyes:
Lord only knows what is being delivered these days when I am in work.

Associate
lol, no m8.
She tells me, she paid for the left & they chucked the right in for free. :rolleyes:

lol.

I do like the look of your EK compression fittings. I have been very impressed with the quality of all EK's stuff so far. I don't know about you, but I find compression fittings are really handy if you keep changing your loop as I seem to.

I have also found that having a few 90 and 45 deg fittings helps, especially in cramped areas. However as you are designing the case perhaps you can avoid such issues [Of course there's plenty of room for large loops on the shelf version of your computer :) ].

Associate
OP
lol.

I do like the look of your EK compression fittings. I have been very impressed with the quality of all EK's stuff so far. I don't know about you, but I find compression fittings are really handy if you keep changing your loop as I seem to.

I have also found that having a few 90 and 45 deg fittings helps, especially in cramped areas. However as you are designing the case perhaps you can avoid such issues [Of course there's plenty of room for large loops on the shelf version of your computer :) ].

I also think the EK fittings, they look pretty & the quality is excellent ;)
The quality seems to have improved since they changed to the new packaging.
As for using compression fittings, this is my first experience with them & I am very happy. (fingers crossed, no leaks yet)

As for 90 & 45 degree bends, even they exist on 'the shelf' lol.
I will be using these fittings again in the build, as I find they make the tubing runs very neat + adds to the bling factor :D

Associate
As for 90 & 45 degree bends, even they exist on 'the shelf' lol.
I will be using these fittings again in the build, as I find they make the tubing runs very neat + adds to the bling factor :D

Bling! Careful what you say in front of Mrs. P - she might get the idea you are going to give her something shiny and I am not talking about compression fittings!

Associate
OP
I decided with all my new equipment, I would have to get a larger power supply

DSCF2385.jpg

I managed to get this from a very nice man on Overclockers MM

DSCF2389.jpg

A quick look in the box

DSCF2390.jpg

More cables than I will ever need (hopefully)

DSCF2394.jpg

Finally the PSU, an Enermax Revolution 1250

DSCF2395.jpg

I decided that this build will be special & deserved braided cables. :)

Old braid stripped off

DSCF2449.jpg

PSU opened up

DSCF2450.jpg

Lots of dust inside :(

DSCF2453.jpg

The cables were braided with something special. :cool:

This time it was dense weave 'ribbon' cable (silver/white ribbon with black braid) specially ordered in by (name removed)

DSCF2502.jpg

DSCF2498.jpg

Cables braided & looking good :)

DSCF2492.jpg

DSCF2495.jpg

Unit finished & ready to be fitted.

DSCF2497.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
Is that PSU a semi-modular one?

What was your reasoning behind choosing this particular PSU rather than, say, a fully modular one that would have avoided the need to open the PSU to do the braiding?

Back
Top Bottom