The Little Mermaid (05/2023) live-action Disney remake

You do realise they don't just cast Americans and movies and shows aren't just for America right?

So? believe it or not people outside the US and other western countries aren't obsessed with representation. I wouldn't expect it from any other countries, China, Japan, South Korea, India, and certainly not in Africa, neither would I want it.

It's actually illegal in some African countries...

Depends on the role.... :)

I don't see why you can't admit it's happening, Disney has been caught saying as much, Amazon, Netflix all have similar targets, if they have an target of 50% of the cast to be LGBT or a minority(Black), then chances are based on demographics in the US.... the best person for the job will told to take a hike because they've reached their straight white person quota..

I think it’s a bit of a pendulum swing.

We have had many years, decades, of under-representation in leading roles in Western productions. So there is now, as you say, a leaning towards encouraging diversity. This means, as you allude, that there probably is some element of discrimination against some actors/actresses for the purposes of hitting targets - although it’s very hard to quantify how much of a problem this is in practice.

There is, I think, currently a swing away from clumsy artificial/forced diversity quotas and messaging in films. People are tired of it. So I think the pendulum is now returning back towards the bottom of its swing.

Just look at Lord of the Rings. Those films barely had any representation at all in it. Which was fine but it does perhaps limit it’s audience / wider appeal. Then, the Ring of Power TV series was quite prominent with its display of diversity, which was OK but it was so prominent that it was distracting for some - it seemed to just be a counter to the original films. The right balance is probably somewhere between the two…? Diversity but not to the point of distraction?

The kicker is that if you let yourself become bothered by it, you will perpetually distract yourself and will unable to objectively determine whether something is good or not. On that front, I think people really get unduly bogged down when it comes to so called ‘race swapping’ when it really has very little baring on anything.

What is far more annoying than ‘race swapping’ is where the cast is a diversity / social justice checklist. That’s completely different and, IMO, it very rarely happens… probably because people find it tedious.

It’ll take some time to get right… so I’ll extend some patience and try not to get too bogged down in it for the meantime. So long as the end product is good. That’s the main thing.

I have absolutely zero hope for this live action remake because all of them have been absolutely terrible… the very worst one being Mulan; the title character was this flawless goddess and had no growth at all. I have no idea what they were thinking with that one :o

Last edited:
It’ll take some time to get right… so I’ll extend some patience and try not to get too bogged down in it for the meantime. So long as the end product is good. That’s the main thing.

I think this is the main thing. Don't get me wrong as I said earlier, I don't agree with race-swapping historical characters but fiction? Have at it. If they said Tom Hardy was going to replace Idris Elba as Luther, I wouldn't care as long as the character is still written as if he is Luther and Tom Hardy did a good job playing him

TV/Movies live and die on their writing. Increasing representation in a show is unlikely to be the downfall of a show. Poor writing most certainly will kill it.

I think this is the main thing. Don't get me wrong as I said earlier, I don't agree with race-swapping historical characters but fiction? Have at it. If they said Tom Hardy was going to replace Idris Elba as Luther, I wouldn't care as long as the character is still written as if he is Luther and Tom Hardy did a good job playing him

TV/Movies live and die on their writing. Increasing representation in a show is unlikely to be the downfall of a show. Poor writing most certainly will kill it.

Yup agree with this. I’ll add that with ‘race swapping’ I don’t think adding / building to a character on the basis of their race or sexual orientation is a bad thing either. So long as it’s interesting.

Along those lines, acknowledging that there was no ‘swapping’ with this example, the most notable example of ‘diversity’ massively succeeding in recent memory for me was that episode of The Last of Us. At first I was a little sceptical and then it went and showed an intimidate relationship that simply would not have had the same dynamic between a man and a woman. It was interesting, extremely moving and well executed. It was absolutely ****ing brilliant. Bravo! More of that sort of thing, please.

So yes… if diversity can bring an interesting story to the table, I’m all for it.

Sorry, waffling off topic now!

Last edited:
I think it’s a bit of a pendulum swing.

Just look at Lord of the Rings. Those films barely had any representation at all in it. Which was fine but it does perhaps limit it’s audience / wider appeal.

The original Lord Of Rings trilogy was highly successful and accurate to the source material, it only made around £3 billion dollars...

where as Amazons attempt to introduce diversity failed miserably.

I completely disagree about it being a pendulum swing, it's only swinging in one direction. :)

That was a brilliant episode. Then I think of older TV shows, Omar Little from The Wire is a gay guy and being gay is an important part of his character and he is without a doubt one of my favourite TV characters.

Either way. Diversity and representation is good. TLM will likely be bad but not because of either of those things but because most the live actions films have no charm.

Along those lines, acknowledging that there was no ‘swapping’ with this example, the most notable example of ‘diversity’ massively succeeding in recent memory for me was that episode of The Last of Us. At first I was a little sceptical and then it went and showed an intimidate relationship that simply would not have had the same dynamic between a man and a woman. It was interesting, extremely moving and well executed. It was absolutely ****ing brilliant. Bravo! More of that sort of thing, please.
That episode was review bombed and the people in this thread complaining about diversity quotas also complained about having to watch hairy gay men kiss...

That episode was review bombed and the people in this thread complaining about diversity quotas also complained about having to watch hairy gay men kiss...
OIP.526LXApe536CGUZ4w_l98gHaGC

Depends on the role.... :)

I don't see why you can't admit it's happening, Disney has been caught saying as much, Amazon, Netflix all have similar targets, if they have an target of 50% of the cast to be LGBT or a minority(Black), then chances are based on demographics in the US, UK .... the best person for the job will told to take a hike because they've reached their straight white person quota..
So is the solution to only watch shows on Netflix, D+ and Amazon if more than 50% white people in the cast? That way you know the diversity cap is not met and people were hired purely on merit!

Whilst I'n not disputing those figures, I guess you have validated quotes to back them up, right? I did a quick search on 3 UK news websites, but found nothing when searching "netflix diversity mandate". But then again MSM LOL, probably been paid off by the streaming companies :D

rp2000

Last edited:
I'm not saying it isn't happening... This is what I said...

She could have been the best person for the role.

For this role? No.

If they had hired a white actress you wouldn't be assuming she was a 'box tick', obviously, but I doubt you'd be doubting her credentials quite as much if she was a fit for the role.

Halle may be a brilliant Ariel or she may well be awful. Who knows?! Most of us haven't seen the film yet.

Depends... Just being white doesn't qualify every white person to be best suited to play a character, but if she resembled the character it would make sense based on the animated movie and artwork used on the original material the movie was loosely based on.

No company can the make the claim they're hiring the best person for the role if they hire based on quotas. If it possible? Yes... because it depends on the role.............

I've never heard of her, she might be a great actress.

Last edited:
She's a singer first and foremost.

Casting should take everything into consideration, singing, acting, having at least some resemblance to the character they're playing is usually helpful...

But I'm sure it's ok, I'm sure it won't be at all jarring to the millions of people familiar with the original character or work it's based on. :)

Who is currently losing out on a mermaid being made black?

Everyone who has to listen to both sides whinging about this film is who loses - one side whinging about a race swap in a film they'd never watch anyway and the other side whinging about the other sides whinging - no-one "wins" here.

Last edited:
How can anyone complain if a child is able to identify with that hero on the screen, in some way or another.

But when women and people of colour start going on about how they are only now breaking barriers, they can **** right off.

Casting should take everything into consideration, singing, acting, having at least some resemblance to the character they're playing is usually helpful...

But I'm sure it's ok, I'm sure it won't be at all jarring to the millions of people familiar with the original character or work it's based on. :)

Fortunately the originals still exist so if they feel it's too jarring they can just watch those. Storm in a teacup.

Back
Top Bottom