The Little Mermaid (05/2023) live-action Disney remake

Angry white men.

Funny because I am reading the Empire feature on the little mermaid they did right now, and this passage reminded me of this thread:

She was the first person we saw, then we saw everybody else - every ethnicity; there was no agenda to cast a girl of colour. We were open to anybody, excited to see who was going to claim the role for their own. And that's what she did.

nick fury was white (hasslehoff), and now black, kingpin was white, then black then white again. seems to work fine as long as the actor fits the role.

Fury was white in the original from the 60s and then black in the recent comics before the movies. Race swapping, gay superman, may have something to do with why western comic sales are so abysmal compared to Anime... Modern western comics belong on a garbage fire.

Jackson obviously does a great job in the role though.. but I still don't agree with it.

I have a lot of Asian friends who think the same as me, they've obviously been watching western TV for years and they have no desire for representation, they just don't get it and neither do I... it's very much an American thing of the past which has stuck around like a bad penny due to CRT / race theory.

In the same way when I watch Asian TV shows I don't need characters to be white in order to relate or engage with the characters or story.

They do get annoyed with Asian characters being "whitewashed" though.

Last edited:
why? Documentaries are suppose to be factual
Why are you even grilling me about this in a Little Mermaid thread :cry:
I know nothing about the documentary other than the headlines I've seen, plenty of real stories are changed with artistic license for a variety of reasons. Hell look at Hamilton, should they be sued?

Angry white men.

Funny because I am reading the Empire feature on the little mermaid they did right now, and this passage reminded me of this thread:

Issue is now some will only see it as a box checking exercise. She could have been the best person to audition for the role but some will assume she's only there for an agenda. Can't win lol.

Issue is now some will only see it as a box checking exercise. She could have been the best person to audition for the role but some will assume she's only there for an agenda. Can't win lol.

That's because it is, when companies are literally saying their goal is for the cast to be 50% LGBT+ or other minority (which we all know means Black)... Then it's inevitable it's going to be box ticking exercise. :D

It's just disingenuous to deny it at this point.

So, what you're saying is that unless they hire a white person for the role, whoever else they've hired is simply for a box ticking exercise and not on merit? So only the white/straight actors are there on merit and not a box ticking exercise?

I dunno man... Sounds like only hiring white/straight people would also be an agenda. A different agenda but an agenda nevertheless.

So, what you're saying is that unless they hire a white person for the role, whoever else they've hired is simply for a box ticking exercise and not on merit? So only the white/straight actors are there on merit and not a box ticking exercise?

I dunno man... Sounds like only hiring white/straight people would also be an agenda. A different agenda but an agenda nevertheless.

No, that's not what I'm saying, the best person for the role/job should be hired, they claim that's what they're doing but it's impossible if they have hiring targets, they're lying to you. :D

Last edited:
No, that's not what I'm saying, the best person for the role/job should be hired, they claim that's what they're doing but it's impossible if they have hiring targets, they're lying to you. :D

OK, lets try again..

If the actor they hired was white, would you be assuming they weren't the best person for the role?

OK, lets try again..

If the actor they hired was white, would you be assuming they weren't the best person for the role?

Depends on the role.... :)

I don't see why you can't admit it's happening, Disney has been caught saying as much, Amazon, Netflix all have similar targets, if they have an target of 50% of the cast to be LGBT or a minority(Black), then chances are based on demographics in the US, UK .... the best person for the job will told to take a hike because they've reached their straight white person quota..

Last edited:
Depends on the role.... :)

I don't see why you can't admit it's happening, Disney has been caught saying as much, Amazon, Netflix all have similar targets, if they have an target of 50% of the cast to be LGBT or a minority(Black), then chances are based on demographics in the US.... the best person for the job will told to take a hike because they've reached their straight white person quota..

You do realise they don't just cast Americans and movies and shows aren't just for America right?

I'm not saying it isn't happening... This is what I said...
She could have been the best person to audition for the role but some will assume she's only there for an agenda.

She could have been the best person for the role. Only those taking the auditions will know. But to some people, that's not good enough. They see a X race person has the role and it is instantly assumed she is there for nothing else other than a box ticking exercise basically implying she isn't talented enough for the role on her own merits and just had to be put there because the colour of her skin.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen. As you've pointed out Disney have said it is their intentions. That has it's own pros/cons and is worthy of a separate topic. My issue is that we now have people, such as yourself, who refuse to acknowledge that she could be there due to being the best person in the audition process. You'll laugh it off and say "of course she isn't cause they want more LGBTQ+/minorities" which comes across as "she's clearly not as talented as a white actress would be but she got it cause the colour of her skin" essentially diminishing her ability just because you assume she is hired for nothing more than her agenda.

If they had hired a white actress you wouldn't be assuming she was a 'box tick', obviously, but I doubt you'd be doubting her credentials quite as much if she was a fit for the role.

Halle may be a brilliant Ariel or she may well be awful. Who knows?! Most of us haven't seen the film yet.

Back
Top Bottom