The Little Mermaid (05/2023) live-action Disney remake

Review from Mr. Doug, who I find my views generally sync with, says it’s as expected for a Disney remake.

Bland performances, nothing new for adults, amazing singing though. Overall, not the worst of the bunch, but that’s not saying much.

It's not doing that well internationally, especially Asian markets.

With a $250M budget plus another $100M for marketing at least, I doubt it will break even, I'm not surprised.

Hmm yet

Weekend Box Office Results: The Little Mermaid Rises to the Top with Solid Holiday Opening​

Disney's latest live-action reimagining of one of their animated classics earns the fifth-best Memorial Day opening ever with a 4-day haul of $121 million.​

Whatever you might actually think about the film, The Little Mermaid has been the target of a mass of racist online vitriol over the decision to headline Halle Bailey as the human-thirsting mermaid Ariel. Review aggregating sites like IMDb are now trying to dampen the impact of 1-star user reviews by weighting those grades.

Hmmm yet

"Disney’s 2023 version of The Little Mermaid, directed by Rob Marshall, grossed $10.3 million prior to Friday’s full-day launch. Among the May releases to make over $10 million from their Thursday starts, only Solo: A Star Wars Story and The Hangover Part II failed to gross a full $100 million over the three-day weekend of Memorial Day, but they both made it over the hump by Monday. Ariel joined those two films in not getting over the weekend hump."

Amazing company it's keeping there :cry:

edit: Good to know that they are priming 'muh racism' as the reason when this fails spectacularly.

Last edited:
edit: Good to know that they are priming 'muh racism' as the reason when this fails spectacularly.

.............and yet "muh racists" were never going to see it anyway, so if it does fail then it's not the fault of those "never watching it anyway" types but instead it would be Disney's fault, for making something that non-racists also don't want to go and see in large numbers, and I don't know how Disney or the Media would be able to spin that bitter pill.

I don't understand the art direction for these movies, they all end up looking like something from Zack Snyder...... :D

There are obviously other issues, but this one isn't ideological I far as I know. Odd choice for movies targeted at children.

Not going to be rushing out to the cinema to watch it but I'll check it out once it ends up on D+. Not my favourite Disney story (That's Jungle Book and The Lion King and Disney have already made rubbish remakes of those) but I have always had a soft spot for some of the songs so it'll be nice to hear how they've turned out.

I have 2 daughters in the target age range for this movie, they have watched both the Little Mermaid Disney animated films in the last few months. Neither has mentioned this movie to me even once. I can only assume it's not being talked about at school or they'd be hassling me. The recent matilda remake they were very vocal about, this.... silence. Not reaching the target audience on this it seems from my pico poll

Not going to be rushing out to the cinema to watch it but I'll check it out once it ends up on D+. Not my favourite Disney story (That's Jungle Book and The Lion King and Disney have already made rubbish remakes of those) but I have always had a soft spot for some of the songs so it'll be nice to hear how they've turned out.
You can probably grab them on Spotify or YouTube, even twitter has little snippets of them if you look

Managed to watch it taking a few of my cousins to see it. It wasnt bad at all and did not see the problems as some made out. Probably the best live remake from Disney but i have only seen Aladdin and this. No where near as bad as some reviews made out. Also for me, Halle Bailey didnt detract from the character or changed the story in the slightest. She was pretty good and did the role well and imo her voice really captured the Mermaid's siren perfectly.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom