The Little Mermaid (05/2023) live-action Disney remake

It wasnt bad at all and did not see the problems as some made out.

It's because for some reason there seems to be people in the films section who take a great sense of schadenfreude in a film failing. Curiously, it's often with films you'd think grown men have very little interest in yet are obsessed with how badly it does.

It's because for some reason there seems to be people in the films section who take a great sense of schadenfreude in a film failing. Curiously, it's often with films you'd think grown men have very little interest in yet are obsessed with how badly it does.

Maybe it's because they have children? For that reason I make it my business to know what's in a movie or TV show before I consider letting them watch it.

It's not that complicated, parents have vested interest in what media their children consume, whether it's ideological nonsense, or just trash.

Last edited:
Maybe it's because they have children? For that reason I make it my business to know what's in a movie or TV show before I consider letting them watch it.
So you only let your children watch films that are commercial success at the box office? Not sure what sales figures would have to do with what you allow your child to watch but you do you, my guy

Edit: You've edited your post since I quoted you...

Good job from keeping your kids from the Mermaid Ideology agenda. They need to stay in the sea where they belong :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So you only let your children watch films that are commercial success at the box office? Not sure what sales figures would have to do with what you allow your child to watch but you do you, my guy

Edit: You've edited your post since I quoted you...

Good job from keeping your kids from the Mermaid Ideology agenda. They need to stay in the sea where they belong :rolleyes:

Not sure about "Mermaid Ideology" but they've seen the original and we have a copy of the book it was based on. :)

I think some adults just forget that its a kids film about a mermaid.

Children’s films should not ignore the more difficult parts of our history, just because adults feel uncomfortable addressing them.

The question is: How do we make films for children of all races that acknowledge the horrors of historical events such as slavery, while making sure they are free to imagine a wonderful world unencumbered by racism and are not defined by it?

On Sunday, I watched the new live action version of Disney’s The Little Mermaid with my six-year-old son.

The visual effects are stunning, and the casting is brilliant. If you are not aware (and at this point you would literally have to be living under a rock in the middle of the ocean not to be aware), Halle Bailey plays the eponymous heroine in a celebration of normalising Black beauty standards for children.

However, there is one massive problem with the film, and it is less about its treatment of contemporary racial issues and more about its treatment of historical transatlantic slavery.

The film is set in the Caribbean in the 18th century. It does not specify exactly when, but judging from the ships, clothes and other references, it is during a time of African chattel slavery. Despite this, there is not a single direct reference to slavery and the islanders live in racial harmony.

Maybe I'm naive but I wouldn't want to outright call someone a bigot.

Closed minded and from a place of ignorance. Maybe. But a bigot? Bit harsh. I sometimes think we as humans are too stubborn to want to understand the other side of the coin.

Maybe I'm naive but I wouldn't want to outright call someone a bigot.

Closed minded and from a place of ignorance. Maybe. But a bigot? Bit harsh. I sometimes think we as humans are too stubborn to want to understand the other side of the coin.

If you're avoiding showing your children media because black people or LGBT people are in it then that is absolutely bigotry :confused:

He's already admitted to keeping his kids away from anything with LGBT+ people in it, are you really shocked? Dude is a bigot and proud.

If being a responsible parent and limiting kids exposure to toxic ideology and the LGTB+ cult makes me a bigot. Then yes, I'm very proud. :)

More then happy for them to watch content with black actors though, preferability when they're not race swapped, but that isn't as big a deal for me. Usually a sign they're going to be trash anyway.

Last edited:
Haha coming from such a drama queen as yourself Im not sure if that is meant to be a compliment or not.

If you're trying to invoke Nazi imagery because people have an issue with Disney churning out a pandering pile of garbage, then it's defiantly not a compliment and it isn't in the least bit funny. You're a total drama queen and you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to compare the two.

Last edited:
If you're trying to invoke Nazi imagery because people have an issue with Disney churning out a pandering pile of garbage, then it's defiantly not a compliment and it isn't in the least bit funny. You're a total drama queen and you should be ashamed of yourself for trying to compare the two.

Mate rainbows freak you out for gods sake.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom