The Little Mermaid (05/2023) live-action Disney remake

Looks like every other Disney live action remake, ***** that's takes a massive crap on the original.

I do see that are doing a live action remake of the animated Tarzan, wonder if they'll have the balls to race swap Tarzan..

Yarn…. Another classic animated film, that Disney have decided to turn live action film because they can’t write anything original anymore. All the other ones they have made live action remakes are awful, so have very little hope for this one. My wife has already refused to watch it, as she doesn’t want her favourite Disney film ruined.

I quite liked the remakes of Cinderella (2015), Beauty and the Beast (2017) and Aladdin (2019).

As for writing anything "original", Disney aren't really known for that as they tend to borrow old fairy tales. My main issue with Disney at the moment is that they don't release fairy tale animations any more. They did brilliantly in the 1990s (Aladdin etc), and again in the 2010s (Tangled, Frozen, Moana) and now they have stopped doing those sort of films.

This looks shocking! How jarring is the perfect acting and voice while their hair is all under water floaty?

I worked on one of these live action Disney remakes last year for a while. I left as it was a truly nightmare project and looked creepy as anything

Just looks like most of these live action remakes. Completely devoid of the charm of the original. What the hell have they done to my boy Sebastian as well. Sebastians expressions and movement was brilliant in the animated version and now hes just a lifeless crab.

2 Million+ dislikes for the trailer says it all really, the usual race swapping, they also changed lyrics of the songs to avoid offending modern audiences..... I don't think these movies translate well to live action anyway, they go from colourful and expressive to the complete opposite...

The only name I recognise from the cast is McCarthy, that's not a good thing. :)

No interest in watching it, kids have seen the original and nobody got offended...

Last edited:
Wasn't ever my favourite Disney movie but I'd still watch it with my daughter.

All the live actions have been a bit weak other than Aladdin. Hated Lion King and The Jungle Book. Both of which are two of my favourite Disney animated films.

No interest in watching it, kids have seen the original and nobody got offended...
That's the thing. The originals are still there for everyone to watch and enjoy. No one is losing anything from this.

Last edited:
Must say if any Disney flick needs a remake, it’s this one. The original is absolutely appalling with its messaging for young girls - being serious here :p

Basically, all that matters is you’re beautiful - **** being happy with your lot, just go max for broke on a fantasy. You’ll never have the body proportions of Ariel, but never mind just keep focussing on your beauty. In fact, you don’t even need to speak to find your true love! :o

^^^ quoting myself. I’m curious - does anyone else feel like this about the original? Or is it just me viewing through overly cynical eyes?

^^^ quoting myself. I’m curious - does anyone else feel like this about the original? Or is it just me viewing through overly cynical eyes?
Never even seen it, I don't know why so many posters here have 'skin in the game' so to speak about a 90's Disney princes type movie.

It's still there for them to watch every day.

Last edited:

I never really noticed it until I saw Moana for the first time and I loved how it was just a story about someone trying to save their family. No Princess needing a saviour to love her. Made me realise how bad some of the other movies are.

Different time I suppose.

I never really noticed it until I saw Moana for the first time and I loved how it was just a story about someone trying to save their family. No Princess needing a saviour to love her. Made me realise how bad some of the other movies are.
Well she does save the prince 1st :D And he only really falls in love with her once he comes to know the 'true' Ariel, mermaid and all. Hell you could even say there's a trans allegory in there about getting people to accept who you truly believe you are when her old man grants her wish and transforms her into a human permanently at the end :p

I really don't understand peoples fascination with messaging from films. I don't think I learned anything from watching childrens films. I never had any difficulty understanding that they were complete make believe. I never thought that women needed saving by princes. I didn't know any princes. I didn't know any talking monkeys, lions or crabs and I didn't know any witches. I grasped the fact quite early on that it was all just made up for entertainment and to just enjoy it.

I simply don't get the issue. The little mermaid is about a little girl who lives under the sea with talking fish and a hot crustacian band. She dreams of going above water and gets infatuated with a price she saves. If you are learning anything from that film then I worry. Children learn their morals from their parents, their friends and their schooling.

If you want to analyse everything then its all toxic and bad. We live in a weird society where we seem to be constantly searching for these triggers for why people are ****** and the truth is that its almost always because society is all set up around the cult of you. Its not the little mermaid teaching young girls that their only worthwhile trait is their looks, its parents indulging them to the nth degree, its social media and society telling them that celebrities and influences have any value to society. Its telling children that there is a right answer to everything and if someone dares suggest a different way of looking at things they are terrible and attacking you personally.

Let kids enjoy disney films as they always have done. They aren't toxic or bad for kids. Millions of perfectly well adjusted adults of both sexes have grown up on them just fine. People need to get over the idea that children are fragile little sponges that ruminate deeply on the messaging of a film when they are small.

Last edited:

Different time I suppose.

Enchanted is a brilliant film, if you have not seen it. It's a Disney Princess film, but takes the mick mightily. Good songs, too!

My kids all loved that, but not as much as I did.

Enchanted is a brilliant film, if you have not seen it. It's a Disney Princess film, but takes the mick mightily. Good songs, too!

My kids all loved that, but not as much as I did.

Nope not seen it but I'll add it to the list of things to watch with her. Though she's only 1 so a while away from understanding it just yet haha.

I've been watching most of the old animated ones with her but I quite enjoy Disney movies so happy to go through them all again. and again.... and again

Back
Top Bottom