The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Man of Honour
Strong last episode, star man identity reveal was kinda uhhhhhhnhghn.

Definitely felt this got better and better and the characters got more likeable as it went along, after a mixed start.

Frustrating for it to end now just as it really picked up. Looking forward to series two.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last episode was fair and a pity the rest of the series didn't have that pace. I think we had already arrived at the view last week that Halbarad was probably
Sauron
so a bit of misdirection with the three weird characters and the starman who is
confirmed as Istari but Gandalf, Saruman or Radagast?
. Hey and he gets a female comapnion, just like Doctor Who!

Assuming the show doesn't get cancelled will await S2 with interest - not least because last week we caught a glimpse of the
Balrog
but Khazad-Dum/Moria and the Dwarves were not in this episode at all.

Caporegime
That was an awesome final episode....but what were they thinking with that song at the end!!?

Overall the series was ok. Nothing that great, but not too bad.

Best bits were Durin and Elrond. They had real chemistry and all the scenes/scripts on that story thread were well done.

The reveal of Halbrand was obvious since his confrontation with Adar in the woods. They showed their hand a bit too much there.

Last edited:
Soldato
I thought it was ok. Not amazing but not **** either. I'm not into the LOTR books so most of what has upset people who have read all the books sailed over my head. It was light entertainment. Not sure if they are doing another season but it could defiantly do with improvements.

Soldato
I assume the Tolkien estate have some oversight, I am sure I remember PJ having that when he made the movies so I am sure the same applies to Amazon

Normally when people licence they maintain quite high levels of oversight

Watching The Broken Sword on YT coving this episode and they are saying the Tolkien Estate had to approve everything and could have axed anything they didn't like.

Soldato
Some thoughts on the season now that its complete

Overall I have enjoyed it but i have been lenient with it. I've been lenient because, even as shocking as this must be for some, i watch content to actually enjoy it, so will give it the best chance to make my time watching it worthwhile. I appreciate it is LOTR and an opportunity for new content for a franchise i do love in a genre i love is few and far between.

I have stayed up for a few episodes including the finale, so it is doing something right.

Overall i would say its been a solid 7or8/10 and that score has been nudged up a tad because it is LOTR. Some individual episodes i thoroughly enjoyed higher than a 7 but over as a season i think a 7 is fair.

For season 2 and onwards i do expect better. Improvements I hope for would be
  • Better writing / writers, some of the writing has been cringy and bad. A lot of the time when they are trying say something wise in a poetic manner just doesn't land. Some of the plot points didnt make much sense, they can do better.
  • Scale - They had some decent battles but they didnt feel grand or particularly menacing. I can forgive this as is just an opening season.
  • World / set pieces - Whilst it does look good a lot of the set pieces they have made dont look like they have been lived in, just not believable. Like the forge scene from the finale wasnt what i would expect from master elven craftsman's labouring away to make magical items. They can do better.
  • More focussed story, a lot of stuff for example the daughter from numenor just seems like a waste of time. Elrond and Durin need more screen time, Gandalf and the hobbit going forward should be good and more dwarfs.
  • Not sure what they can do about Galadriel, even though i warmed up to her a bit, still think she is the weakest of the characters especially for someone who gets so much screen time. And i do believe that is down to writing rather than the actress.

There was plenty to like. I liked the harfoots, especially at the end they won me over. The dwarfs were all awesome, elrond and durin top stuff. I have more likes than complaints so overall satisfied with the season and looking forward to what comes next.

Soldato
Overall, I surprisingly enjoyed the season. Yes it is moving too fast, yes Harfoots suck but some of the cast/characters truly shine and are a joy to watch.

I will miss Elrond and Durin until season 2 arrives. I truly hope I don’t forget about their relationship during the wait.

Elendil and his relationship with that queen has charming to see blossom over the last few episodes too.

7.5/10 for me.

Last edited:
Soldato
6/10 Not awful but not good. I didn't mind the time spent watching it I'm just disspaointed it wasn't better, for the money they spent it should have been a lot better than this. Wheel of Time is in the same boat. Amazon studio's is ******* money down the drain on half competent delivery of decent IP at least on the fantasy side.

Soldato
I assume the Tolkien estate have some oversight, I am sure I remember PJ having that when he made the movies so I am sure the same applies to Amazon

Normally when people licence they maintain quite high levels of oversight

Watching The Broken Sword on YT coving this episode and they are saying the Tolkien Estate had to approve everything and could have axed anything they didn't like.

It's a real shame that Christopher Tolkien died before this, as I suspect this might have turned out very different if this is the case. The other members aren't anywhere near as interested in protecting JRR's stories.

Caporegime
Overall, I surprisingly enjoyed the season. Yes it is moving too fast, yes Harfoots suck but some of the cast/characters truly shine and are a joy to watch.

I will miss Elrond and Durin until season 2 arrives. I truly hope I don’t forget about their relationship during the wait.

Elendil and his relationship with that queen has charming to see blossom over the last few episodes too.

7.5/10 for me.

I feel like Elrond and Durin's story/scenes were written by a different team/writer. They were really good.

In fact the whole thing feels a little fragmented like that. Some bits are really good, and others are not.

There are also some funny/weird choices like the slow mo/the random text crossing out Southlands and replacing with Mordor/the awfully awkward song in the closing credits of the last episode.

Last edited:
Caporegime
6/10 Not awful but not good. I didn't mind the time spent watching it I'm just disspaointed it wasn't better, for the money they spent it should have been a lot better than this. Wheel of Time is in the same boat. Amazon studio's is ******* money down the drain on half competent delivery of decent IP at least on the fantasy side.

Yeh, i don't hate it and it is watchable, but it feels like it could have been better given some better choices/people in charge of the writing and directing.

Back
Top Bottom