The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
She didn't tell them because then they wouldn't have forged the rings, and they need them.

The Elven rings were never under the control of Sauron because they learn of his deception. Gandalf eventually ends up with one of them to give him abilities to inspire others, and also has magic abilities with fire.

Unlike the 9 rings made for men. Which Sauron can/does control.
But they've only made the 3, which were the last to be made, first, now the rest of the rings won't get made or at least not as the story is actually told, so the show is pointless

I guess if you don't know the story and lore, the show is okay, but when you go into it knowing the story & lore it's just a disappointing mess

Man of Honour
But they've only made the 3, which were the last to be made, first, now the rest of the rings won't get made or at least not as the story is actually told, so the show is pointless

I guess if you don't know the story and lore, the show is okay, but when you go into it knowing the story & lore it's just a disappointing mess

It does raise a lot of questions when it comes to the rings.

But it turns out it's all Galadriel's fault, the most evil character in the show...

I find there is a lot of irony when it comes to Galadriel in the show and the writer's/producer's intentions.

Last edited:
Soldato
After reading comments on here about how the Guardian was all in on this show I find this piece puzzling :confused:

They decided it was amazing after one EP and now reality has sunk in. Quite amazing that they attacked the acting, but somehow rated Morfydd Clark's performance very highly, but then again not surprising at all...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cracking episode, did a great job of wrapping up the series which was epic, high quality fantasy throughout and a worthy prequel to Jackson's trilogy. Not perfect, not the best recent fantasy, but still a very good series.

What it wasn't was a series bringing Tolkien's works to the screen. This bares little relation to the histories he wrote. If you're mad about that, fair enough, but it doesn't stop it being good in its own right.l

Soldato
Cracking episode, did a great job of wrapping up the series which was epic, high quality fantasy throughout and a worthy prequel to Jackson's trilogy. Not perfect, not the best recent fantasy, but still a very good series.

What it wasn't was a series bringing Tolkien's works to the screen. This bares little relation to the histories he wrote. If you're mad about that, fair enough, but it doesn't stop it being good in its own right.l
I respectfully disagree with paragraph one. I'm not paragraph two having only read the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings and that was 20 years ago. This show was bang average at best with moments of truly terrible writing. It looked like Jackson's film but the plot and direction were a sub par knock off. It wasn't awful but if it weren't for the fact that most TV fanatasy is dire it would stand out as truly huge missed opportunity. If I ran the studio I'd start looking for new show runners and writers.

Soldato
Looking at their first choice on who to play young Elrond and who they ended up with it's difficult not to bang your head against my desk. If I was the showrunner I would have moved heaven and earth to get him on board and thrown some of the ungodly money from the budget his way.

And Morfydd Clark is impossibly short to play Galadriel

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Looking at their first choice on who to play young Elrond and who they ended up with it's difficult not to bang your head against my desk. If I was the showrunner I would have moved heaven and earth to get him on board and thrown some of the ungodly money from the budget his way.

And Morfydd Clark is impossibly short to play Galadriel

I thought the actor who played Elrond was OK - more hampered by the writing, etc. than anything else. Galadriel though...

Soldato
I thought the actor who played Elrond was OK - more hampered by the writing, etc. than anything else. Galadriel though...
Don't get me wrong, he's a decent actor and i'm sure he's a nice person but he's horribly miscast,

Will Poulter on the other hand would have looked the part and suspended my belief he's a young Elrond. And I would have gotten Elizabeth Debicki to play Galadriel

Last edited:
Soldato
It's a pity because he seemed to have some nice chemistry with the Dwarf prince, maybe he could have been cast as another elf in a different role.

They worked well together they've in some ways carried the show, but the writing was again so bad, the story-arc itself was not good, it was ridiculous, and so drawn-out and dull.

Caporegime
I don't see why you are directly comparing to the visual of Hugo Weavings Elrond based on looks. It's not the same cinematic universe.

I think the actor in this is substantially better cast than Hugo Weavings - who is one of the few poor castings in the movies. He comes across as much closer to the Elrond in the book, that said:

I always had the elves down as very "fair" but RoP has definitely gone for the "some of them were weird looking". Just another little thing that broke the immersion for me.

I do wish they had a more visually distinctive look to the elves. The clothing and armour is distinct enough, but otherwise they only have the ears to distinguish them.

Reactions: Kyo
Soldato
I don't see why you are directly comparing to the visual of Hugo Weavings Elrond based on looks. It's not the same cinematic universe.

amazon haven't created a cinematic Tolkien universe they have created their own Frankenstein's monster with a Tolkien wig on.

These Elves look and sound crap, end of story.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Same issue with the numenorians. They are supposed to be specimens that make normal men look small.

Elendil is meant to be about 10ft tall! They are absolute units who the elves rightfully feared as a military power. Elendil is meant to be easily the martial equivalent of Gil-Galad. Yet Gil-Galad is meant to have thousands of years of expertise which attests to the physical ability of Elendil.

Back
Top Bottom