The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
My wife and I finished it last night.

My younger self would probably be horrified, but I quite liked it. Sure, the writing could have been better, and some of the acting could have been better, but it was great to be back in Middle Earth.

It’s been about 20 years since I read the Silmarillion and paid attention to the LoTR appendices, so I couldn’t remember how much (if anything) was accurate to the books. I know they tried to condense a lot of stories into the same timeline, so it doesn’t really add up. And I read that they don’t actually have the rights to the Silmarillion so that must have made things harder.

Is there a website or blog somewhere that highlights what’s different between the books and the series?

Caporegime
My wife and I finished it last night.

My younger self would probably be horrified, but I quite liked it. Sure, the writing could have been better, and some of the acting could have been better, but it was great to be back in Middle Earth.

It’s been about 20 years since I read the Silmarillion and paid attention to the LoTR appendices, so I couldn’t remember how much (if anything) was accurate to the books. I know they tried to condense a lot of stories into the same timeline, so it doesn’t really add up. And I read that they don’t actually have the rights to the Silmarillion so that must have made things harder.

Is there a website or blog somewhere that highlights what’s different between the books and the series?

Best one I have come across is

Caporegime
Yeah, I gave it a chance and watched it all the way through but it's garbage imho. It just didn't hit any of the spots (outside of some nice visuals) that I get from other TV shows.

As a dodgy comparison, I'm still one of those frauds seeing The Walking Dead out and I got more enjoyment out of that than this.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting reading the guardian's opinion of it over time initially they were madly for it presumably because of its diversity quotient but by the end they thought it was "a stinker" to use their own words "every episode so inept it left you sniggering"

Last edited:
Caporegime
Interesting reading the guardian's opinion of it over time initially they were madly for it presumably because of its diversity quotient but by the end they thought it was "a stinker" to use their own words "every episode so inept it left you sniggering"

Really got his finger on the pulse that one

fez

fez

Caporegime
Really got his finger on the pulse that one

I don't place much stock in critics but come on. One of those is after watching the whole series of RoP and the other is speculating that Top Gun Maverick will be like the 95% of cheap cash grabs that trade on nothing more than nostalgia.

People say that the negative opinions are biased...

Associate
I thought it was alright to be honest with you though I am no massive Tolkien geek but have read the books although scanned over some chapters. It obviously doesn't follow what he wrote at all and I am okay with that to be honest to me a retelling of the story exactly how Tolkien wrote at least the parts we know is probably best in a video game at least for me where I can really immerse myself in the lore, to me a TV show will never immerse me as much.

My nit picks were the dialog was not brilliant, character reveals easily predicted , characters surviving unrealistic wounds, completely juxtaposed hypocritical character development between episodes especially with dialog written for Galadriel. Costumes for budget Amazon has for this in places seem poor. Celebrimbor actor looks far too old, Gil-galad is nowhere near as wise as a leader as Tolkien portrayed him.

The writers need to do better in the next season, I found the acting to be good enough just the writing letting it down for me.

Man of Honour
3 episodes in now and enjoying it still. I think many people just heard it was crap and went in with a preconceived opinion.

Nope watched it all the way through... it isn't good - there is some good stuff in it, personally liked the Elrond and dwarves thread, but far too much which relies on the viewer lacking imagination or intelligence to slide by. Although that said I think they found the framework for a LOTR TV show they just need to do a LOT better and I really do hope they can be honest with themselves about what did and didn't work with the first season and find that stride with subsequent season(s) because despite its flaws it gave me a tease for what a LOTR TV show could really do.

Taste and what entertains people is subjective and all but come on there is far too much outright stupid stuff in this show despite some good stuff.

Caporegime

"The Guardian" doesn't have an opinion on Rings of Power, these are the opinions of different writers. Most of the pieces were written by Andy Welch (you can read his wrap up here) who has been fairly consistently been moderately positive but critical throughout. That Stuart Heritage thinks it was parp is the opinion of a different person not a change of view.

Permabanned
So season one was such a failure it looks like the showrunners are going to be silently fired / sidelined and the show "retooled".. Who could have predicted.... Oh wait..

Last edited:
Caporegime
So season one was such a failure it looks the showrunners are going to be silently fired /sidelined and the show "retooled".. Who could have predicted.... Oh wait..

I can't find that news anywhere. Got a source?

Edit - found it.

Not sure I can take a news story seriously that starts:

"With Amazon’s live-action bastardzation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s seminal fantasy works having under performed by practically every metric"

And then only mentions bad user reviews on metacritic.

Last edited:
Soldato
In one respect it would be amazing if Amazon didn't do what that article suggests based on the underwhelming first season. But that is not the same as saying I think the article is necessarily accurate, just it seems to plainly need doing.

Soldato
I'm 6 episodes in and I don't think I can watch much more. Been quite a few off-putting things, that's probably personal but I don't think I can manage to put them aside having been a huge fan of the film's and books for so long.

Usually I find music in these type of epic TV/movies series pivotal, the soundtrack feels non existent and just weak in this.

Secondly I feel the casting has been 'ok' but nothing has really stood out to me with a performance that an audience can connect with, there is not enough character depth to buy into, although reading some articles last night that might appear with the fallen star or halbrand.

I'm quite reluctant to give it another chance as I just want to avoid disappointment. Anyone else feel the same way?

Back
Top Bottom