The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
I think thats the biggest issue - Are these women being picked because they are competent (great) or to tick a box for inclusion (bad) or maybe a bit of both, who knows?

Sadly that complex reason behind why a particular choice has been made is showing the current sad state of affairs for modern entertainment to be in.

Caporegime

In an interview with Deadline, Vernon Sanders, Head of Global TV for Amazon Studios, says the financial bet “has more than paid off.” He addresses the success of the show on Prime Video — where it broke records for most global viewers in its first day (25 million) and overall (more than 100 million), for minutes streamed (24 billion) and signups worldwide during its launch window, attracted younger viewers (record number of adults 18-34 for a Prime Video original) and affluent audiences (40% coming from households with income greater than $100,000)

It’s been a tremendous success for us, it performed incredibly well around the globe. It is by far our biggest scripted series, it is the most acquisitive show that we’ve put out. After we finished releasing episodes, we saw a new surge of people come to the service to start the show. We’ve already released the fact that we’re over 100 million, and the number has gone up since then, it’s millions and millions beyond that. We are really proud that the show drove renewed interest in the books, we saw spikes in book sales. It’s just been a company-wide success and as significant as our investment has been, it has more than paid off for us.

Suspended
I think thats the biggest issue - Are these women being picked because they are competent (great) or to tick a box for inclusion (bad) or maybe a bit of both, who knows?

Sadly that complex reason behind why a particular choice has been made is showing the current sad state of affairs for modern entertainment to be in.
Amazon's diversity quotas are well known, talent or competency arn't the driving factor.

Last edited:
Soldato
Man whos job is entirely contingent on billion dollar show being seen as a success says billion dollar show is a success. I have no scepticism here about how clear and honest he is being here. ;)
they have always been pretty vague with their viewership numbers. The 25million total viewer's was known after the first week then they went very quiet.

To put that in perspective. Stranger Things season 4 did 7.4 billion minutes in 1 week using Nielsen data. Which I believe only pulls in data from smart TV's in the USA

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yeah that's definitely how it works, they can just lie about it being a success and keep their job :rolleyes:

You don't have to be lying to make something sound much better than it is.

"We have increased productivity 200% this quarter" - productivity for the previous quarter was down 66% from normal.

"We have won the world series of baseball" - no one outside of north america can play in the "world series"

Everything that you quoted in your post is entirely up for clarification and comparison. Amazon haven't exactly got an amazing track record that is hard to one up when it comes to stats on their original material.

Soldato
Show runners promise to up the pacing and have even more massive battle scenes.

Just what you want all woman directing crew doing massive action scenes which they are notorious for being weak at directing.

They could hire Patty Jenkins I hear she's free.

Soldato
You don't have to be lying to make something sound much better than it is.

"We have increased productivity 200% this quarter" - productivity for the previous quarter was down 66% from normal.

"We have won the world series of baseball" - no one outside of north america can play in the "world series"

Everything that you quoted in your post is entirely up for clarification and comparison. Amazon haven't exactly got an amazing track record that is hard to one up when it comes to stats on their original material.
Lol

Soldato
Facts?

Amazon have always been pretty vague about there viewership. They did the same with Wheels of Time.

Here's is facts

We have data from Neislon.

The show lost 20% of its viewership after the first two episodes then steadily declined each week.

The deadline article states they seen a serge in new membership AFTER the show was finished. (October)

You know the Christmas run up

If we work on just his numbers.

Claiming 100m plus viewers?

Show has a total run time of 557mins hmm

They claim 24billion minutes watched.

Does that not mean the show lost over half it's viewership?

Caporegime
Keeps the reaction andys in business I guess who literally have nothing else to do than spend 10-30 minutes regurgitating the viewers own thoughts back at them.

Last edited:
Facts?

Amazon have always been pretty vague about there viewership. They did the same with Wheels of Time.

Here's is facts

We have data from Neislon.

The show lost 20% of its viewership after the first two episodes then steadily declined each week.

The deadline article states they seen a serge in new membership AFTER the show was finished. (October)

You know the Christmas run up

If we work on just his numbers.

Claiming 100m plus viewers?

Show has a total run time of 557mins hmm

They claim 24billion minutes watched.

Does that not mean the show lost over half it's viewership?

Not that I care who watches it or doesn't, I just like fantasy being created :)

I am sure they know how to adjust for normal increase in membership and when / if its seasonal etc.
Bezos ain't no moron (/wave Musk) and hes not the sort to have the wool pulled over his eyes. Now of course it could be (like Expanse) he doesn't really care, he wants to project to go ahead and thats the end of it, although unlike expanse I haven't seen him on record with this statement.

Most shows, in fact I have never seen on list viewership figures that doesn't decline, its just how it is.

Haters gonna hate.

You know that not everyone is a lonely middle aged man watching it on their own right?
Viewership minutes / episode length time does not equal number of viewers. Sheesh.
You know just about all the stuff is calculated and not exact right?
Yes streamed minutes will be exact they know that, number of people sitting watching, number watching a downloaded episode etc all have to be extrapolated, just like they always have been.

Caporegime
Bezos ain't no moron (/wave Musk) and hes not the sort to have the wool pulled over his eyes. Now of course it could be (like Expanse) he doesn't really care, he wants to project to go ahead and thats the end of it, although unlike expanse I haven't seen him on record with this statement.

Bezos stepped down as Amazon CEO in mid '21; I don't think he's all that closely involved with this.

Otherwise I agree, it's really quite laughable watching people pretend these numbers aren't good because they have a mardiboohoo over the series.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom