The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

fez

fez

Caporegime
Yes, somebody decided after 5 weeks of no posts that he needed to laugh at it's "complete utter failure"

Though if you were to actually use some critical thought and compare it only to other new shows that launched in 2022 (as opposed to new seasons of existing shows) it would appear to be in the top 4 for 2022, behind:

Wednesday
Dahmer
Inventing Anna

Its LotR for christs sake. This isn't some pony IP that someone dug out of the archives that 3 people said "I remember that". You're being just as disingenuous as anyone else if you are lumping this into the "brand new" category. There was massive hype for this. An advertising campaign that probably dwarfs pretty much any that has come before it.

Every amazon parcel had tape with it on. Photoshops loading screen had Galadriel on it. Adverts were everywhere.

The success of a show can be looked at based on expectations. RoP hasn't come close to matching expectations for it in any way. Either on quality of the show or critical reception. Plenty of people like it and thats fine but its very hard to argue that this has been remotely as good as Amazon or anyone else hoped by any metric.

Soldato
The show has blessed us with the greatest memes of last year.

"Give me the meat"
"Why does a stone sink"

And that awsome body form advert!!

This is not fitting to carry the LOTR name.

It's badly written fan fiction from the worst drags of Hollywood.

How much did it cost again?

The data shows that viewership dropped off a cliff as veiwers weren't prepared to sit through the pain of watching the full season.

Now amazon is begging viewers to come back promising to stick to the source better, more action and better pacing.

Let's dumb this crap down because we can't write for ****.

Heck Wednesday completely and utterly wrecked this show in viewership for the year.

It came out on the 28th November (basically December)

Associate
All I can say about it is that I've been a big fan of the LotR & hobbit books long before it was cool, and was really looking forward to this series. I watched the first one shortly after it came out, didn't make much sense, i had zero feeling of engagement or empathy for any of the characters, and fell no compulsion at all to watch ep2 and beyond.

I should probably give it another go.

Associate
All I can say about it is that I've been a big fan of the LotR & hobbit books long before it was cool, and was really looking forward to this series. I watched the first one shortly after it came out, didn't make much sense, i had zero feeling of engagement or empathy for any of the characters, and fell no compulsion at all to watch ep2 and beyond.

I should probably give it another go.

Do yourself a favour and don't, unless you think you need to share in our misfortune, it gets a lot worse. :)

Soldato
Not sure this is the right thread (don't think it necessarily needs its own yet either) however WB are now going to be making new movies within the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit timelines.... I don't believe they are going to be remaking them, or rather I really hope they are going to be banging out remakes. But yeah, guess they've seen how badly RoP did and need to wash that abomination out of folks mind's.

Soldato
Not sure how to feel about this. I will assume they wont be using any of the characters in the trilogy because how could you use the actors now (what is it? 20 years old now) or even replace them with anyone. that cast was perfect. Any new movies will need new characters not used from the books sofar

Man of Honour
If I wanted anything else from the LOTR universe, I think I’d want it ‘removed’ from overarching bombastic stories of “good vs. evil”.

The best bits of the Mandalorian, Andor, The Witcher and the Last of Us, for me, have all been those moments where it’s just a narrow, discrete situation… maybe there’s a bigger worldwide narrative on the go, but small groups of characters solving smaller problems is way more interesting to me than giant “good vs. evil” scenarios.

This is probably because it’s inevitable that ‘good’ wins - so there’s more drama and intrigue in the smaller scale events.

I particularly like how in the first series of both the Witcher and Mando, there was all major worldwide stuff going on but the main characters didn’t care and we’re just doing their own thing. Both shows suffered once the leads got more caught up in the ‘bigger’ stories.

Last edited:
Soldato
After the horrific Hobbit trilogy, I can't say I have much faith in them to produce the goods. Especially as this time they don't even have strong source materials to start from.

Still, I'll keep an open mind until we see what they produce.
I've watched the Hobbit trilogy 3 or 4 times now and I still think they're good. Yes they wandered off course and were overly long but I still find them very entertaining. The Lord of the Rings films are just extra special and unlikely to be bettered. It's become a bit of an event now; every couple of years I watch all 6 extended films - starting with the Hobbit trilogy as it's the chronological order.

Soldato
Not sure this is the right thread (don't think it necessarily needs its own yet either) however WB are now going to be making new movies within the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit timelines.... I don't believe they are going to be remaking them, or rather I really hope they are going to be banging out remakes. But yeah, guess they've seen how badly RoP did and need to wash that abomination out of folks mind's.

Brilliant.

Think I posted a while back that the embracer group bought up the rights to films and games a few weeks back.

Shill media already out in force yapping that this will be the death of ROP lol

It feels a little early for new LOTR movies. But then maybe once they are done it will have been time, I mean its approaching 25 years next

I struggle to condemn any fantasy. I am always of the opinion you pays your money you takes your choice, don't like it, don't watch it.
Far too many years of lacking fantasy means I tend to watch it all.
Hell I even watched the sword and the sorceror the other week.
Christ that reminded me what bad fantasy was and yet it was pretty much all we got at the time. ROP was godlike in comparison.

Soldato
Hell I even watched the sword and the sorceror the other week.
Christ that reminded me what bad fantasy was and yet it was pretty much all we got at the time. ROP was godlike in comparison.
Why compare a low budget b movie release from the early 80's with the most expensive TV program ever made? It's a silly comparison!

It's also infinitely more rewatchable than rop :D

Last edited:
Why compare a low budget b movie release from the early 80's with the most expensive TV program ever made? It's a silly comparison!

It's also infinitely more rewatchable than rop :D

Shush thread ban boy :D

Again seeing as you seem to struggle to understand English in your rush to dis ROP (have you watched it yet by the way or still just trolling?)
That was the sum total of what we got in the 80s, crap B grade movies.
I don't want to go back to those times due to children who haven't spent any time watching something spending all their time dissing it on the internet.

Back
Top Bottom