The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Viewing numbers good?

No no they are not. Massive drop off from season 1 backing up the numbers from Nelson.

An increase in Christmas prime subs on the way to give them something to grasp at

Show will get a 3rd season but probably one of those long seasons cut into two to finish it off.

Or just into the bin. Some publications already hinting at that.

As for normies. That’s a no also. Normies is what makes up the huge veiwing numbers. They tuned out also.

I disagree. House of the Dragon also had a massive drop off in viewers for the first episode on season 2, it's a known thing that happens. 40 million people watching a show obviously points at normies watching the show in my opinion. Still lets wait until the rest of the season is out and see what numbers get announced. Even against the 65 million that watched all of Fallout, I think it's very respectful numbers for only half a season. At least we should get a big battle this season (unlike in the House of the Dragon) :D

I think people in this thread are forgetting, that just because they don't like a show, it doesn't mean other aren't enjoying it :)

I disagree. House of the Dragon also had a massive drop off in viewers for the first episode on season 2, it's a known thing that happens. 40 million people watching a show obviously points at normies watching the show in my opinion. Still lets wait until the rest of the season is out and see what numbers get announced. Even against the 65 million that watched all of Fallout, I think it's very respectful numbers for only half a season. At least we should get a big battle this season (unlike in the House of the Dragon) :D

I think people in this thread are forgetting, that just because they don't like a show, it doesn't mean other aren't enjoying it :)
In the shows main market only 37% finished watching season 1. The vast majority tuned out.

You can frame it what ever way you wan't. The show is a complete an utter failure. It's not even a top 15 stream show. Made even worse by the shows budget and IP.

The 40 million viewers was over a period of 11 days. Tag that on for a show being free to watch for prime owners The devil is in the detail.

Wheres the HOD numbers? last I seen it was down 22% from premier to premier.

Last edited:

Even if that is the case, objectively it is a bad show never mind a terrible Tolkien effort and some of us want to see a decent Tolkien effort and that doesn't happen if people stay quiet and just accept this ****.

Last edited:
40 million views across 4 episodes for the most expensive tv show ever made, released in 240 countries simultaneously, is abysmal. I'm sure Bezos wanted more people than Bill and Vera down the dog and duck to tune in :cry:

I understand that your enjoying the show, but if you think that these viewing figures are even close to respectable for the most expensive show ever made then you're just wrong. Not sure you really understand viewing figures work or how they are collated either. Because 40 million is a big number doesn't actually mean anything, that's not 40 million people watching, that's most likely 40 million "impressions" that's a few seconds watching, an accidental click...

If the viewing were great Amazon would be shouting it from the rooftops in clearly defined terms, but they're not.

No-one is watching dude, it's getting thrashed by a show about Mormon Housewives...

:cry:

Last edited:
40 million views across 4 episodes for the most expensive tv show ever made, released in 240 countries simultaneously, is abysmal. I'm sure Bezos wanted more people than Bill and Vera down the dog and duck to tune in :cry:
Always found it weird that these companies will throw record amounts of cash at a show, but then take shortcuts wherever possible. The IP has proven itself successful, so it's purely down to the rubbish execution.

I know it's subjective, but I find it hard to understand why anyone who has actually watched every episode of both would think this show is better TV than HoTD. I was very frustrated with some of the episodes this season, and let's not even get into how they ended it, but if you look at the acting, world building, character development, ability to hold the viewer's attention in slower moments, etc, it beats RoP in pretty much every department.

I don't even care much for direct comparisons, tbh, but I keep seeing someone mention HoTD as if it's worse TV than RoP, and it's baffling.

Always found it weird that these companies will throw record amounts of cash at a show, but then take shortcuts wherever possible. The IP has proven itself successful, so it's purely down to the rubbish execution.
When you hire people to write a series that have the utmost contempt for the source material then you won't get good results, throw ontop modern Hollywood and their current priorites and yeah, you get trash.

But at least it looks good right :rolleyes:

They have gone out of their way to ignore Tolkien, even when they could just easily follow the Lore, and make things easy for themselves, they are so embittered towards JRRT and the fan base, and so narcissistic they'd rather just change things for the sake of it.

And now they have the biggest disaster in TV History on their hands, even Grace Randolph won't bother reviewing S2 because in simple terms it won't generate any clicks...this is supposedly Tolkien, one of the biggest IP's in entertainment and it's not worth reviewing...

Last edited:
I understand that your enjoying the show, but if you think that these viewing figures are even close to respectable for the most expensive show ever made then you're just wrong. Not sure you really understand viewing figures work or how they are collated either. Because 40 million is a big number doesn't actually mean anything, that's not 40 million people watching, that's most likely 40 million "impressions" that's a few seconds watching, an accidental click...

If the viewing were great Amazon would be shouting it from the rooftops in clearly defined terms, but they're not.

No-one is watching dude, it's getting thrashed by a show about Mormon Housewives...

I am sorry Jeff. Didn't realise you had the inside scoop like that on the viewing figures :D

No inside scoop dude, just simple common sense and the ability to read!

:D

Ah you read it. Care to provide a link where it states 100% what the figures mean? Instead of you know, guessing what you think it means and trying to pass it off as fact? Lets wait until the whole season is released, and then we can see what figures are released/how the season has been received :)

Ah you read it. Care to provide a link where it states 100% what the figures mean? Instead of you know, guessing what you think it means and trying to pass it off as fact? Lets wait until the whole season is released, and then we can see what figures are released/how the season has been received :)

Clearly you didn't READ my post, where I clearly stated "that's most likely"...we know what the viewing figures are, they're terrible, no amount of you coping wil change that -and we know how the season has been recieved - like a bucket of cold sick!

PS - You can wait to discuss anything you like, I'll discuss things as and when I see fit.

;)

Last edited:
Clearly you didn't READ my post, where I clearly stated "that's most likely"...we know what the viewing figures are, they're terrible, no amount of you coping wil change that -and we know how the season has been recieved - like a bucket of cold sick!

PS - You can wait to discuss anything you like, I'll discuss things as and when I see fit.

;)

I did read your post thanks. You tried to pass off what you wrote as a fact, which supported your biased opinion (hence me calling you Jeff for your insider knowledge). The only known fact so far is that 40 million people have watched the second season (first 4 episodes) and nobody but Amazon know exactly what makes up a viewer. Another fact is you stated "No-one is watching dude", which again is false, as proved by the 40 million number. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and can discuss what they like, it would just be nice if it wasn't done in such a childish manner.

The only known fact so far is that 40 million people have watched the second season (first 4 episodes)
&
and nobody but Amazon know exactly what makes up a viewer.
are both at odds, you/we have no idea if its 40 million people, just that its 40 million views. 'Views' and 'people' are 2 different things - regardless, even if it was 40 million people (thats wordwide dont forget), that is abysmally low - House of Dragon s2 did approx that just in America alone.

I did read your post thanks. You tried to pass off what you wrote as a fact, which supported your biased opinion (hence me calling you Jeff for your insider knowledge). The only known fact so far is that 40 million people have watched the second season (first 4 episodes) and nobody but Amazon know exactly what makes up a viewer. Another fact is you stated "No-one is watching dude", which again is false, as proved by the 40 million number. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion and can discuss what they like, it would just be nice if it wasn't done in such a childish manner.

Yes, but you didn't read it very well apparently. No, I gave on opinion, that's why I said "Most likely", you also have a biased opinion. And, no we don't know that it was 40 million people, or just simple views. Oh and by the way being pedantic isn't really making for a very good argument either.

No-one is watching dude, and we both know what I mean when I say that, it's been a ratings disaster with a massive slump in S2 - whereas as GOT got more and more popular, and HOD had better viewership too...

Just because you like the show doesn't make it more popular than it is...

;)

Last edited:
Who? some people who can't sleep?
normal people who don't want to be hold hostage for a week for marketing and advertising reasons.

Amazon will be making money of this series for decades so I don't know why everyone is so bothered about the budget.

amazon no doubt waste the same amount of money every year on all kinds of nonsense staff perks etc, I doubt they really care.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom