The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Just check if you're in the thread you think you are.
Er yeah

Tolken wrote the story
about the rings, and celebrimbor and numenor and sauron and galadriel etc etc etc
the opening bit of fellowship is one of my favourite parts

yes the way that RoP is retelling that story is bad
but the actual overall story and characters are great

the actors are good actors, I blame poor direction and script writers and especially terrible fight choreographers etc

Last edited:
I like the idea of this program

great story
good actors
looks great

but its like a kid who has all the best toys but just mash them into each other and has no idea what they are doing

You must have been in a coma for the last 9 weeks, and in that time you imagined an incredible rings of power season 2, so incredible even JRR tolkien would bow in honour.

For us mere mortals we had to suffer misery and suffering.

Er yeah

Tolken wrote the story
about the rings, and celebrimbor and numenor and sauron and galadriel etc etc etc
the opening bit of fellowship is one of my favourite parts

yes the way that RoP is retelling that story is bad
but the actual overall story and characters are great

the actors are good actors, I blame poor direction and script writers and especially terrible fight choreographers etc

Tolkien didn't wrote this story.

No, this is their own story and it is bad.

The characters as Tolkien wrote them are great, the characters as Amazon re-wrote them are terrible.

There are a few good actors in this, a lot of them are awful. Yes, the direction and script are laughably bad, as is the fight choreography.

Last edited:
Ep8 wasn't too bad as the show goes and I enjoyed the
Balrog
though it was on screen for a pitifully short time.

However unlike last week's episode which focused on the Battle Of Eregion this was all over the place trying to cover the numerous story threads in less than an hour and a quarter.

Hopefully it will be back for a third season. Oh and at least we
finally got to find out Gandalf is Gandalf, or Grand Elf as the Harfoot's initially called him. But if the Dark Wizard is supposed to be Saruman, he never openly revealed his treachery and despicable nature until LOTR.

Last edited:
finally got to find out Gandalf is Gandalf, or Grand Elf as the Harfoot's initially called him. But if the Dark Wizard is supposed to be Saruman, he never openly revealed his treachery and despicable nature until LOTR. - Who are you spiler tagging this for? :cry:

How is having confirmation of something you already knew 2 seasons ago somehow a positive? Talk about a low bar.

This story was built around two mystery box character reveals that everyone worked out from the first moment they were both introduced in S1 EP1.

This kind of story telling works, when YOU DON'T IMMEDIATELY KNOW who X is...

Like for example if you're the genius who wrote the screenplay for The Usual Suspects, and everyone is left guessing right up until the end who Keyser Soze is. That's great writing, this is absolute tripe. Who on earth could have thought, that the way to present and portray these two characters in this way was a good idea? It's laughable.

;)

It is clear they did not have the neither the source material to work with to begin with, nor the skill to tell a story when they had to improvise. But according to them, this is the story Tokiien would have written.

:cry:

I'll just say it point blank, the fighting is totally bonkers and unrealisitc. ESPECIALLY the melee fighting, which I have commented on repeatedly. Not only are they performing pointless twirls in the middle of combat, but even stabs/thrusts were then made with swings that start off then turning into thrusts/stabs - talk about choreographing what you're going to to beforehand. You'd be deader than dead a LONG time ago - Are the Elves in this world like only good in their heads or something? Only the ranged combat remotely resembles anything with realistic physics involved in it due to the stunt actors selling the shots.

Why am I back to talking about realistic physics again? Well, anyone see that betrayal stabbing action again? It's 100% the same as what we had earlier in the season. It's basically part time third rate wannabe actors in another shakespear in the park production and pretending they're stabbing something, but the motion of it all is all wrong and you can tell they're doing nothing of the sort in actuality. I mean come on, 20+ years ago, the LotR trilogy sold on all it's hits. 20 years later and with even more money, they couldn't even get that right. Pfeh!

So why did the orcs randomly betray Adar? I know they have been a bit emotional leading to this point but it’s not like Sauron gonna treat them any better.

I'm having a hard time knowing if this is a rhetorical or serious question... like nearly everyone else Sauron deceived them, though the quality of writing in the show leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to conveying stuff like that.

I'm having a hard time knowing if this is a rhetorical or serious question... like nearly everyone else Sauron deceived them, though the quality of writing in the show leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to conveying stuff like that.
Agree with the writing.

The problem is, they're doing a Squirrel Girl (Marvel Comics) - EVERYTHING amazing and that would explain everything (or show the audience why they are feared, so cunning, etc) happens OFF SCREEN/PANEL.

The only thing is, that works for Squirrel Girl because that's the nature of her thing in the comics; That's her brand of comedy.

Sauron? For supposedly the great evil? The great deceiver? You get nothing that would convey they are anything threatening of that, so far, it's everyone else that's just afraid of them, but we see nothing that would suggest they could scare a hamster at this point. Unless if they want to turn this into a comedy series like Squirrel Girl, doing everything off screen/panel doesn't help show Sauron as a great evil or with any real intelligence given what they've had them do in season 1 and 2 so far. Instead, with the way it's been done, it just makes everyone else look stupid.

Instead, with the way it's been done, it just makes everyone else look stupid.

Almost everything they do with the elves doesn't portray them as the intelligence they are, except at times Elrond. The cheering near the end was like a rowdy bunch of men about to engage in a sport and nothing like elves rallying for war... the writers, etc. are way below the standard this show needs.

finally got to find out Gandalf is Gandalf, or Grand Elf as the Harfoot's initially called him. But if the Dark Wizard is supposed to be Saruman, he never openly revealed his treachery and despicable nature until LOTR. - Who are you spiler tagging this for? :cry:

How is having confirmation of something you already knew 2 seasons ago somehow a positive? Talk about a low bar.

This story was built around two mystery box character reveals that everyone worked out from the first moment they were both introduced in S1 EP1.

This kind of story telling works, when YOU DON'T IMMEDIATELY KNOW who X is...

Like for example if you're the genius who wrote the screenplay for The Usual Suspects, and everyone is left guessing right up until the end who Keyser Soze is. That's great writing, this is absolute tripe. Who on earth could have thought, that the way to present and portray these two characters in this way was a good idea? It's laughable.

;)
Oh i knew quite nicely who Gandalf was, thank you. And I agree it was a pointless plot element to think they could keep the audience guessing.

My point was more the retconning of Saruman who, in canon, up to the point where Gandalf visited him and was captured prior to the hobbits setting off on their journey in FOTR, was regarded as the Istari "team leader" and a much respected wisdom.

Last edited:
After what I thought was a strong start, my overall thoughts on season 2 are "Meh"

The trouble is trying to squeeze events that happened over 1000's of years in a book, into an 8-10 hour to a TV show format and making up stuff. The movies glossed over the immense time between Bilbo leaving the shire and Gandalf returning, but it's believable that the movie trilogy could take place over 18 months or so.

And either that Wizard is Saruman which makes no sense, or it's one of the blue wizards that we don't know much about but either way it's just making up events in a non satisfying way.

Back
Top Bottom