The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
It's just not Tolkien. One of the major problem here is, this Galadriel is not Galadriel. Not book Galadriel, and not PJ Galadriel which 80% of people will be more familiar with. It's "young Galadriel" you say? - No, it isn't, this is an entirely new carachter called Galdriel.

It is always been abundantly cleear from day 1 that this is the Mary-Sue Galadriel show, this presents several problems.

1. See above.

2. The actress is not convincing in this role as a bad-ass warrior princess, she is no Kathryn Winnick who played Lageartha in Vikings who had the physique and presence to totally convince as a shield maiden. She trained brutally hard for the role and was a full grown woman. This girl looks like she's just finished her a-levels and does some pilates twice a week.

3. She isn't charismatic at all, just like Daisy Ridley.

Asking Morfydd Clarke to lead this series as an unconvincing Galadriel is a massive mistake.
Modern productions have a funny idea how to do convincing strong female characters. Making them impossibility perfect and invincible Mary Sue types just isn't the way :(

Soldato
She was amazing, I think all the major women in it were actually, Torvi Aslaug etc not all warrior types but they were all good.

Looking back now those early few seasoins before Travis Fimmel left and we had that disastrous Floki storyline were really great TV, especially compared to the crap that's come since.
Vikings was excellent TV until Fimmel left and the awful actors playing his sons took over.

Soldato
Modern productions have a funny idea how to do convincing strong female characters. Making them impossibility perfect and invincible Mary Sue types just isn't the way :(

One day women will get their rightful share of roles as physically unpleasant and downright ugly characters (not attractive with mental issues) that have no comedy about them yet are still major characters.

Just need to go far enough into the realm of fantasy to reach the concept that women can be fat, old, rough in every sense, even deformed and mutilated in a serious role.

Associate
It's just not Tolkien. One of the major problem here is, this Galadriel is not Galadriel. Not book Galadriel, and not PJ Galadriel which 80% of people will be more familiar with. It's "young Galadriel" you say? - No, it isn't, this is an entirely new carachter called Galdriel.

It is always been abundantly cleear from day 1 that this is the Mary-Sue Galadriel show, this presents several problems.

1. See above.

2. The actress is not convincing in this role as a bad-ass warrior princess, she is no Kathryn Winnick who played Lageartha in Vikings who had the physique and presence to totally convince as a shield maiden. She trained brutally hard for the role and was a full grown woman. This girl looks like she's just finished her a-levels and does some pilates twice a week.

3. She isn't charismatic at all, just like Daisy Ridley.

Asking Morfydd Clarke to lead this series as an unconvincing Galadriel is a massive mistake.

I recall the die hard Tolkien fans absolutely frothing about any change or inconsistency from the books when the PJ movies first came out. I guess this is the just the latest thing to hate on before it's even out? I myself loved both.

The star wars movies weren't dumpster fires because of Daisy Ridleys acting or her character knew how to fight (she can clearly handle herself prior to any force shenanigans), they were dumpster fires because of the badly thought out, re-hashed plots with no logic or flow to them ("somehow palpatine is back", er you wot mate?). You could make the same criticisms of Luke in the OT, he took out Death Stars and Darth Vaders for fun and had zero training prior to the movies.

Why wouldn't Galadriel be able to hold her own with a blade, where was it written she could not? She's been around so long she could have mastered any number of things. And why on (middle) earth would a female elf need to look like a Viking shield maiden? Elves who are always portrayed as moving ethereally and I suppose with cat like grace as opposed to brute forces of nature.

Honestly, people just need to chill out a bit. If it's a train wreck then at least let is crash first before getting all worked up about it.

Man of Honour
Did Peter Jackson set the standards too high or? I personally don't know what to make of it yet.

No - PJ set the benchmark.

Interestingly the clean shininess of the latest trailer is bugging me - I wasn't too bothered before and it could even work as a hallmark of the Elven bits but in the latest trailer it just completely ruins the aesthetic which otherwise is fairly good - it goes so far as to expose stunt weapons, etc. for what they are - you can clearly see where something is rubber or plastic instead of metal, etc.

V F

V F

Soldato
It's almost like not a single episode has aired yet.

Well no kidding but Jackson's trailers left you knowing what to expect and really hyped for what was coming let alone the long eager hyped waits each year. Where this is feeling... ehhhhh, maybe, maybe not... Iffy...

This isn't leaving the impression OH MAH GAWDZ. I'm so hyped for this like Jackson's.

Associate
I am not one to care if something goes off "canon" or whatever - as long as the changes are worthwhile and its a good quality show with good, believable actors - unfortunately all that seems to currently take a back seat to box ticking for its own sake at the expense of quality for some reason. Diversity etc is fine provided the quality of the story/show/acting is kept at the forefront - which currently it rarely is.

The makers seem to feel the only goal they have is to cobble something together that will get a pass because they have ensured the audience is being "educated" on modern values etc , quality/the story doesnt matter and I dont understand why - the two dont have to be mutually exclusive..

This show I suspect will suffer accordingly but probably wont be as bad as some of the "fans" will say it is. (providing Lenny Bloody Henry has a very small part in it)

V F

V F

Soldato
I am not one to care if something goes off "canon" or whatever - as long as the changes are worthwhile and its a good quality show with good, believable actors - unfortunately all that seems to currently take a back seat to box ticking for its own sake at the expense of quality for some reason. Diversity etc is fine provided the quality of the story/show/acting is kept at the forefront - which currently it rarely is.

The makers seem to feel the only goal they have is to cobble something together that will get a pass because they have ensured the audience is being "educated" on modern values etc , quality/the story doesnt matter and I dont understand why - the two dont have to be mutually exclusive..

This show I suspect will suffer accordingly but probably wont be as bad as some of the "fans" will say it is.

Funny though, to think once this was once called the entertainment industry.

V F

V F

Soldato
Yes because I was so obsessed with Lord of the Rings back then. Even such to an extent waiting on them I had been listening to the old audio stuff to fill time back then for the obsession. Each year was a looong, long wait.

Caporegime
Yes because I was so obsessed with Lord of the Rings back then. Even such to an extent waiting on them I had been listening to the old audio stuff to fill time back then for the obsession. Each year was a looong, long wait.

I was super hyped for them too, for the same reason. But those trailers? They're no less confused than the ones for Rings of Power.

Associate
Thing is, you knew who the actors were. I don't know who this new lot are.
Most of the fellowship were relative unknowns until the movies came out. Find it an odd complaint. Would they find it easier believing a character from middle earth if Tom Cruise were playing them?

V F

V F

Soldato
Ian McKellan was known in Last Action Hero and X-Men 2000 before Lord of the Rings plus I remember him from theatre play before that. Elijah Wood, Back To the Future 2 and other 90s films alongside Culkan. Liv Tyler was quite known. Not big but being recognised. Armageddon. Sean Astin, Goonies, California Man. Sean Bean, British TV shows, Goldeneye. Ian Holm, Loch Ness, Alien, Fifth Element. Christopher Lee, Vampire days that I remember seeing reruns of the cheesy stuff, Gremlins 2, Sleepy Hollow. Cate Blanchett I remember alongside Bruce Willis, forgot the movie... John Rhys-Davies Indiana Jones. Hugo Weaving, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, The Matrix. These were all known before Lord of the Rings came about.

I didn't know of Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortenssen until seeing the Stallone 96 film again Daylight. Didn't know of Andy Serkis or Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd.

Soldato
Watch some of the LOTR extras and you will probably see why some of the above were hired.

Rings of Power PR is certainly painting a very different picture.

Man of Honour
Ian McKellan was known in Last Action Hero and X-Men 2000 before Lord of the Rings plus I remember him from theatre play before that. Elijah Wood, Back To the Future 2 and other 90s films alongside Culkan. Liv Tyler was quite known. Not big but being recognised. Armageddon. Sean Astin, Goonies, California Man. Sean Bean, British TV shows, Goldeneye. Ian Holm, Loch Ness, Alien, Fifth Element. Christopher Lee, Vampire days that I remember seeing reruns of the cheesy stuff, Gremlins 2, Sleepy Hollow. Cate Blanchett I remember alongside Bruce Willis, forgot the movie... John Rhys-Davies Indiana Jones. Hugo Weaving, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, The Matrix. These were all known before Lord of the Rings came about.

I didn't know of Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortenssen until seeing the Stallone 96 film again Daylight. Didn't know of Andy Serkis or Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd.

Yeah - I think only Orlando Bloom and some of the other hobbit actors like Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd I wasn't aware of before the LOTR movies from the more prominent cast - and Orlando Bloom exploded into a bunch of movies I watched at around that time (BHD, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) - a couple I think I might have seen before the first LOTR movie by a margin but my memory struggles a bit.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Why wouldn't Galadriel be able to hold her own with a blade, where was it written she could not? She's been around so long she could have mastered any number of things. And why on (middle) earth would a female elf need to look like a Viking shield maiden? Elves who are always portrayed as moving ethereally and I suppose with cat like grace as opposed to brute forces of nature.

The reason most shows with warrior women usually go for that aesthetic is because it makes it slightly believable that a woman is a good fighter. It just looks **** when you have a waif of a woman who is clearly an actor not an athlete and never has been trying to run and swing a sword with coordination. It complete breaks the immersion if the great warrior looks like she is struggling to swing a sword straight or moves in a janky way.

Back
Top Bottom