The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
The reason most shows with warrior women usually go for that aesthetic is because it makes it slightly believable that a woman is a good fighter. It just looks **** when you have a waif of a woman who is clearly an actor not an athlete and never has been trying to run and swing a sword with coordination. It complete breaks the immersion if the great warrior looks like she is struggling to swing a sword straight or moves in a janky way.
It's important to remember she isn't human, how many muscled elves do you see?

Soldato
I recall the die hard Tolkien fans absolutely frothing about any change or inconsistency from the books when the PJ movies first came out. I guess this is the just the latest thing to hate on before it's even out? I myself loved both.

The star wars movies weren't dumpster fires because of Daisy Ridleys acting or her character knew how to fight (she can clearly handle herself prior to any force shenanigans), they were dumpster fires because of the badly thought out, re-hashed plots with no logic or flow to them ("somehow palpatine is back", er you wot mate?). You could make the same criticisms of Luke in the OT, he took out Death Stars and Darth Vaders for fun and had zero training prior to the movies.

Why wouldn't Galadriel be able to hold her own with a blade, where was it written she could not? She's been around so long she could have mastered any number of things. And why on (middle) earth would a female elf need to look like a Viking shield maiden? Elves who are always portrayed as moving ethereally and I suppose with cat like grace as opposed to brute forces of nature.

Honestly, people just need to chill out a bit. If it's a train wreck then at least let is crash first before getting all worked up about it.

There will lways be fans who can't accept that different mediums have different requirements.

No, the SW movies were not dumpster fires because of DR, but having a Mary-Sue was the starting point KK etc worked from, and this is the root of the problem, they begin with the messaging, the politics, the virtue-signalling and to hell with anything else, which leaves their wooden charsima vacuum of a central caratcher in a very poor position.

Why would she be able to where was it written she could? But of course amazon needs another Mary-Sue and Galadriel fits the bill. Who said anything abouit "looking like a shield maiden"?

I mereley pointed out that Lagaertha looked 100% the part of a badass female warrior, while Morfydd Clark doesn't, the harder she tries to look intimidating the less convincing it looks.

Honestly, people just need to chill out a bit. If it's a train wreck then at least let is crash first before getting all worked up about it.

No-one has forced you into this thread to discuss anything before you have seen it, and yet here you are trying to moderate discussion, it is not up to you to decide when people can discuss the show.

Soldato
I think the point he is making is related to the actress not handling the weapons etc properly rather than the the race / characteristics of them. She should be handling them deftly and with strength if she’s an elf, and an elf of her stature too.

Associate

No-one has forced you into this thread to discuss anything before you have seen it, and yet here you are trying to moderate discussion, it is not up to you to decide when people can discuss the show.
Lol, have a snickers. I’m just thinking about your blood pressure.

Associate
The reason most shows with warrior women usually go for that aesthetic is because it makes it slightly believable that a woman is a good fighter. It just looks **** when you have a waif of a woman who is clearly an actor not an athlete and never has been trying to run and swing a sword with coordination. It complete breaks the immersion if the great warrior looks like she is struggling to swing a sword straight or moves in a janky way.
That’s absolutely a fair criticism to have, I guess we’ll see!

fez

fez

Caporegime

My point was more to do with the ability to naturally and convincingly wield a weapon and move athletically. Very few women have big muscles for any role but the ones that play physical roles well are clearly athletically adept and move naturally.

Its the same for men, its just a little easier to sell when they have a good physique. Its still quite obvious even then if they are just a musclehead and not an athlete.

Soldato
My point was more to do with the ability to naturally and convincingly wield a weapon and move athletically. Very few women have big muscles for any role but the ones that play physical roles well are clearly athletically adept and move naturally.

Its the same for men, its just a little easier to sell when they have a good physique. Its still quite obvious even then if they are just a musclehead and not an athlete.
Agreed, the person they've got playing Galadriel just doesn't look convincing at all to me, mentioned it before but she's already older than Cate Blanchett when she filmed Fellowship and she's only a year younger than Evangeline Lilly when she did Desolation of Smaug. She's totally wrong for the part imo, I've seen more convincing cos players :D

Associate
Yeah - I think only Orlando Bloom and some of the other hobbit actors like Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd I wasn't aware of before the LOTR movies from the more prominent cast - and Orlando Bloom exploded into a bunch of movies I watched at around that time (BHD, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc.) - a couple I think I might have seen before the first LOTR movie by a margin but my memory struggles a bit.
I recognised Dominic Monaghan before LOTR as he was in Hetty Wainthorpe Investigates in the mid 90s with the Mrs Bucket woman. I think that's the only thing I've seen him in until LOTR.

Suspended
Man of Honour
I'm sure many will be annoyed to hear that critics appear to have loved the first two episodes

I've not looked at who has seen/commented on it but doesn't really mean much these days, so often the "critics" are bought or have some other agenda where they might rate a show or movie very different to what most impartial viewers will.

You see it all the time lately where some utter trash will appear on Amazon, etc. with a boat load of gushing 5 star reviews all strangely parroting the same key phrases, etc.

Suspended
I've not looked at who has seen/commented on it but doesn't really mean much these days, so often the "critics" are bought or have some other agenda where they might rate a show or movie very different to what most impartial viewers will.

Yes, of course....I forgot. Critics are "bought"

But YouTubers chasing that clickbait money are completely reliable?

i knew this would be the response, which is why included the golden boy Neil Gaiman.

Suspended
Here's my thing about pre judging a show.

It's perfectly valid to have an opinion that the trailer looks bad or from the snippets you've seen that a certain actor is potentially miscast.

Banging on for 8 months+ that the show is going to be the worst piece of woke thing ever is bizzare.

What happens if season 1 turns out to be some of the greatest TV of all time? There's no way people like @Darujhistan can admit that now, they are too invested in it being woke garbage.

Soldato
Here's my thing about pre judging a show.

It's perfectly valid to have an opinion that the trailer looks bad or from the snippets you've seen that a certain actor is potentially miscast.

Banging on for 8 months+ that the show is going to be the worst piece of woke thing ever is bizzare.

What happens if season 1 turns out to be some of the greatest TV of all time? There's no way people like @Darujhistan can admit that now, they are too invested in it being woke garbage.
People were quite happy to change their opinion on Prey, folks were rightly concerned about that given current trends in Hollywood - it's currently sitting at a 7.3 audience rating on RT (pretty much the same average rating people here have given it) - or does that not sit well with your assumption?

Suspended
People were quite happy to change their opinion on Prey, folks were rightly concerned about that given current trends in Hollywood - it's currently sitting at a 7.3 audience rating on RT (pretty much the same average rating people here have given it) - or does that not sit well with your assumption?
If you re-read that 'Prey' thread there was very little concern at all, other than recent Predator movies had been bad and people worried it was straight to streaming:

A few concerns that a "90lb woman" would be kicking the predators arse, but on the whole a decent enough discussion.

Not like this Trainwreck of a thread.

Back
Top Bottom