The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
Do you have any evidence of this ever happening before with a big TV show or movie recently?

A few people in this sub forum keep randomly spouting buzzwords and phrases in a multitude of threads. You know things like woke, m she u , Mary Sue, orange coloured pills, some other stuff.

Who is providing their cue cards?

Be honest. What would have to be in the show for it to change the type of posts you have in this thread. Or is it fair to say your opinion is already formed and we can look forward to the same types of posts for the next 8-9 weeks.

rp2000

Of course no-one can "prove" there's shenigans going on, it's the same with large outlets always giving good scores for games. There's a clear financial incentive via advertising revenue, without any need for brown envelopes.

It would have to be Tolkien for a start, secondly, I and others are taking are cues about what to expect from the cast, who have talked about nothing else regarding the show other than wokism. As for the show I will give my honest opinion, but it isn't Tolkien, that's the major flaw. I wasn't expecting much out of HOD, but it has been a decent first two episodes, is it going to match peak GOT? I don't think so, but at least there's a proper cast of seasoned actors in it, unlike ROP.

The problem as I see it is that Amazon chose to show us a bunch of diverse individuals talking about how much they wished Sauron was gay and how they see themselves in the programme. Then we get a load of characters which people feel go against what the author would have written. People are bound to be wound up by this and form opinions on the information they have been presented with.

I honestly am not a huge fan of LOTR, I read it because I played the Hobbit on the ZX Spectrum and read that book too.

I will watch it but in the back of my mind, I will be concerned about the quality and who the show is meant for. I guess time will soon tell.

V F

V F

Soldato
The problem as I see it is that Amazon chose to show us a bunch of diverse individuals talking about how much they wished Sauron was gay and how they see themselves in the programme. Then we get a load of characters which people feel go against what the author would have written. People are bound to be wound up by this and form opinions on the information they have been presented with.

I honestly am not a huge fan of LOTR, I read it because I played the Hobbit on the ZX Spectrum and read that book too.

I will watch it but in the back of my mind, I will be concerned about the quality and who the show is meant for. I guess time will soon tell.

I honestly hope it's good because I haven't seen any TV series in along time that has intrigued me.

Associate
Trouble with Nerdrotic and his fellow "type" of reviewers, is that they cater to a groups of people that have a very set views on some topics, so they have to tell them what they want to hear, else they will loose those viewers and the income that they bring

Honestly I struggle with whats so hard
1) new Tv series / film comes out, do you
a) enjoy it and decide to watch more
b) hate it and decide to not watch any more
c) consume every piece of material you can, including actors views, decide to love it or hate it early on and bore everyone to death with your views, bearing in mind you haven't done a or b above

Anyone who is doing C and really thinks they could do a better job should put their money where their mouth is. Write something, take it to hollywood and clean up.
They will probably find nerd level TV / films aren't good and not box office material.
If your offended by a black dwarf or young elf go back to your safe space and stop trying to supress programmes that others may enjoy due to your sad pathetic views. :)

Soldato
I might spend tomorrow watching the Hobbit trilogy (not sure if there are extended versions out yet) and extended versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Then watch the first episode of the Rings of Power. It looks nice but I am on the fence what with all these reviews, comments and Lore changes that have been thrown about recently. From what I have seen and read I am not happy with some aspects of what is in the TV show, but I guess if the story and script is ok-good they could be over looked.

Associate
Trouble with Nerdrotic and his fellow "type" of reviewers, is that they cater to a groups of people that have a very set views on some topics, so they have to tell them what they want to hear, else they will loose those viewers and the income that they bring
Got any evidence to back that up?

Soldato
I might spend tomorrow watching the Hobbit trilogy (not sure if there are extended versions out yet) and extended versions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Then watch the first episode of the Rings of Power. It looks nice but I am on the fence what with all these reviews, comments and Lore changes that have been thrown about recently. From what I have seen and read I am not happy with some aspects of what is in the TV show, but I guess if the story and script is ok-good they could be over looked.
Don't bother with the Hobbit trilogy. It bears little resemblance to the source material and is just one stupid cgi set piece after another :(

Soldato
I quite liked the Hobbit trilogy to be honest, not as much as I liked tLotR trilogy, though. it is still on the watch list for tomorrow, if I can get the kids to sit down all day to watch them all.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Got any evidence to back that up?

I have no real issue with Nerdrotic and his ilk but they are pandering to a demographic. Youtubes algorithm is very simple and rewards certain behaviours from creators. Thats why you see more and more of certain people when you watch their videos. Its also why every youtuber starts out making interesting videos you enjoy and quite quickly degenerates into clickbait titles and thumbnails. It works.

I will watch RoP and make up my own mind and I really hope I am wrong because I absolutely love the original LotR films. The less said about the Hobbit the better.

As to the view that "if you don't like it, just don't watch it and ignore it", I find that very strange. People have things they love and when someone ruins that, its frustrating. When something could and should be brilliant and it isn't, thats a shame. When so many shows and films are ruined by simple mistakes, its annoying.

Soldato
I'm tempted to call the RSPCC on you.
they did watch them all during OG lockdown over the course of a few weeks. Only a few days left of the holidays and I am wanting some chill time. I think getting them down to watch these might work.

Edit: Actually, you make that call. They will be taken away right? right? I'll get some peace right?

• Haha
Reactions: fez
Soldato
There were moments of excellence in the hobbit trilogies, rescuing Gandalf at Dol Goldur, Smaug, Bilbo and Gollum, Thorin and the Arkenstone. Just few and far between. I still enjoyed them for what they were, think they would have been a lot better if PJ had the project from it's inception.

Soldato
I quite liked the Hobbit trilogy to be honest, not as much as I liked tLotR trilogy, though. it is still on the watch list for tomorrow, if I can get the kids to sit down all day to watch them all.
It pales in comparison to the fantastic lord of the rings trilogy. Half the characters shouldn't be in it, but are shoehorned in because they are popular. I couldn't bring myself to watch them again.

Soldato

That sounds like speculation to me, and it's "lose" by the way.

Soldato
Well I would like this to be good, and I accept that diverting from the source material is not a definite indication of that something will be poor. I do however find the correlation between spending a lot of time bleating about your politics is a much better indication that the writers aren't paying enough attention to the fundamentals of making a good show.

To be honest if someone is making a mega budget fantasy series I want it to be good because it's something I've been looking forward to for a long time. But Game of Thrones aside there have been very few good fantasy shows. So this is definitely on my watch list, not at the top because I've got a free Apple TV+ sub to get the most out of but it's up there.

ALD

ALD

Associate
All day and all night you mean. The extended editions combined have a runtime of over 20 hours.

Back
Top Bottom