The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

V F

V F

Soldato
LOTR is the greatest trilogy ever.

Don't mind the Hobbit but that was more down to Freeman and McKellen.

It's has some fantastic moments.

I remember what really got me hooked to see the first film was the little talk with Gandalf and Bilbo about not being the same when he returns. The whole atmosphere that it was setting up.

Soldato
Good is in the eye of the beholder to a degree, some things are just objectively better than others, like The Beatles and Take That, now YOU may much prefer TT and you're not wrong for doing so, but The Beatles still made objevtively better music.

How did the Beatles make objectively better music than Take that? What absolute nonsense ( and i am a fan of the beatles)

Soldato
A lot of reviewers these days will give something a good review if it hits all the right virtue buttons - regardless of the actual quality .

That's certainly what people keep repeating.

Without evidence.

Oh the delicious irony there Vincent :D

You post "You can't trust them, it's just a cash grab" every time a youtuber negatively reviews something you like, all without evidence that the reason for the negative review is cash driven.

Caporegime
Oh the delicious irony there Vincent :D

You post "You can't trust them, it's just a cash grab" every time a youtuber negatively reviews something you like, all without evidence that the reason for the negative review is cash driven.

You might want to sort your quotes out as three of them aren't relating to me and the one that is is talking about how ludicrous Predator is (even though I do love the movie)

Man of Honour
Not bad first couple of episodes, the female dwarves/dwarf kids felt out of place - about the only thing which really bothered me - would have been better inferred as it doesn't really work on screen like it might in a book. Though they were there for story purposes both immediate and later. There were some woke/virtue signalling type elements (plays on the old patriarchy agenda, etc.) but to be fair they (mostly) did make an effort to work them into the story in a believable way so they didn't stand out like a sore thumb - they weren't just shoehorned in like so many movies/TV show these days.

EDIT: Not sure how well it opens up the story for those who aren't at least passingly familiar with the source material though - the background of some of the characters, which is important to understanding them, doesn't seem very well introduced for me aside from 2-3 central characters.

Soldato
Why do people not trust critics? Access Media?

Fancy trips around the world, put up in fancy hotels to see early viewings.

Most publishtions these critics work for rely on advertising.

But no no reviews are not paid for.

Soldato
EDIT: Not sure how well it opens up the story for those who aren't at least passingly familiar with the source material though - the background of some of the characters, which is important to understanding them, doesn't seem very well introduced for me aside from 2-3 central characters.

I haven't seen the episodes as of yet, but I think this is always going to be the case - how do you do the background of some of these characters, Tolkien has written so much, and yet so little in some regards and you could probably spend 3-4 seasons on some of the characters backgrounds.

Caporegime
Why do people not trust critics? Access Media?

Fancy trips around the world, put up in fancy hotels to see early viewings.

Most publishtions these critics work for rely on advertising.

But no no reviews are not paid for.

Reviewers are sent digital versions with watermarks including their names.

Or

They go to a press showing in their own country.

People aren't getting flown around the world and put up in fancy hotels regularly to see a movie/TV show.

Soldato
People aren't getting flown around the world and put up in fancy hotels regularly to see a movie/TV show.
Well, they do. But most likely for an editorial piece rather than a straight-up review. It's a combination of all of the above, in reality.

Anyhoo, I came into this thread to find out what people thought, but it seems full of nonsense arguments soooooo...

Caporegime
Well, they do. But most likely for an editorial piece rather than a straight-up review. It's a combination of all of the above, in reality.

Anyhoo, I came into this thread to find out what people thought, but it seems full of nonsense arguments soooooo...

Yes, to do articles/features they are on set.

I've listened to a lot of the empire reviewers on their podcast, slating movies they were on set for.

Caporegime
Every frame I've seen on this show feels like it's shot on a stage, which no doubt it mostly is but look at this shot from the BBC. Look how specifically lit the characters are, like they are lit with a spotlight from the side, with that level of sunlight you'd expect the background too be bright as well but it looks like it's under a lunar eclipse.

While it looks good from "how well the characters are lit' perspective, subconsciously it feels fake and it takes me out of the the story immediately.

8IFUVCP.png

GOT/House of the Dragon (HOTD) does this aspect a lot better.

Caporegime
Every frame I've seen on this show feels like it's shot on a stage, which no doubt it mostly is but look at this shot from the BBC. Look how specifically lit the characters are, like they are lit with a spotlight from the side, with that level of sunlight you'd expect the background too be bright as well but it looks like it's under a luna eclipse.

While it looks good from "how well the characters are lit' perspective, subconsciously it feels fake and it takes me out of the the story immediately.

8IFUVCP.png

GOT/House of the Dragon (HOTD) does this aspect a lot better.
You mean you've watched the first two episodes and felt like this?

Because that's just a promo shot...probably photoshopped.

Back
Top Bottom