The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Associate
Every frame I've seen on this show feels like it's shot on a stage, which no doubt it mostly is but look at this shot from the BBC. Look how specifically lit the characters are, like they are lit with a spotlight from the side, with that level of sunlight you'd expect the background too be bright as well but it looks like it's under a lunar eclipse.

While it looks good from "how well the characters are lit' perspective, subconsciously it feels fake and it takes me out of the the story immediately.

8IFUVCP.png

GOT/House of the Dragon (HOTD) does this aspect a lot better.
Was filmed in NZ, so while lots of scenes will be in a studio lots should be external with cgi added on top - just like GoT. Also while this is a promo photo I wouldn't be getting too worked up about lighting for Elves. The PJ movies showed them having an ethereal light every other scene.

Soldato
Reviewers are sent digital versions with watermarks including their names.

Or

They go to a press showing in their own country.

People aren't getting flown around the world and put up in fancy hotels regularly to see a movie/TV show.

The Oxford shills were, they were flown in from around the World, all exes paid obviously, and given gift bags. Some LOTR content creators were also flown in for the premiere...

So you're totally wrong.

Soldato
JUST WOW.

:cry:

I had low expectations - but that was masterclass in bad television. I am actually now pleased they have ignored Tolkien and decided to tell their own "story" as it leaves the actual Lore untouched, unchallenged and unsullied by this cinematic diarrhea.

What worked? It looked pretty, that's it. If something nice to look at is enough for you, Rings of Power (Curb Your Enthusiam) is right up your alley. However, did it really feel like ME? sort of, but it wasn't immersive, not like Hobbiton. But that has a lot to do the fact that every other element is terrible, so you're not drawn into the World, in stark contrast to the opening sequence in TheFellowship, when you are immediately immersed in Middle Earth.

The fandom is going to eviscerate this.

Soldato
Soldato
I had low expectations for this but honestly, aside from the few LotR die-hards, the reviews and feedback have been positive. I haven't watched it yet but I'm more excited to than I was.

The corpo shill media have been pretty positive on the whole, as we knew they would be, but the fans have destroyed it.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I had low expectations for this but honestly, aside from the few LotR die-hards, the reviews and feedback have been positive. I haven't watched it yet but I'm more excited to than I was.

They were never going to be critical of it. Massive amazon production. Negative review could get them blacklisted from early access.

Christ, most of them gave the most recent Thor a good review and that was utter garbage. I will make my own mind up on this but critics for the MSM cannot be trusted for reviews at all.

Soldato
They were never going to be critical of it. Massive amazon production. Negative review could get them blacklisted from early access.

Christ, most of them gave the most recent Thor a good review and that was utter garbage. I will make my own mind up on this but critics for the MSM cannot be trusted for reviews at all.

This is how the acces media rolls, they gave She-Hulk good reviews ffs. I'm amazed people are so naive in this day and age that they don't realise how these things work.

Caporegime
Meanwhile, in the actual real world

Thor: Love and Thunder got the lowest critic reviews of any Thor movie, even below 'Dark World' and is the second worse MCU movie reviewed by critics

The only one that scored lower is Eternals.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Meanwhile, in the actual real world

Thor: Love and Thunder got the lowest critic reviews of any Thor movie, even below 'Dark World' and is the second worse MCU movie reviewed by critics

The only one that scored lower is Eternals.

I know that on metacritic its got poor critic reviews now but when it first came out I read a number of reviews from big publications and they all said it was great. Once something is out, its out. The people who are reviewing it at the very start are the people that get the average punter to tune in.

fez

fez

Caporegime
I know that on metacritic its got poor critic reviews now but when it first came out I read a number of reviews from big publications and they all said it was great. Once something is out, its out. The people who are reviewing it at the very start are the people that get the average punter to tune in.

BBC 8/10
Screenrant 8/10
Telegraph 8/10
New York Post 8.8/10
Variety 9/10
Empire 8/10
Associated Press 7.5/10
NME 8/10
Independent 8/10

There are some bigger publications that have given it much lower scores but please don't make out like most of the big boys don't fall in line when a massive release comes out. Thor L&T was utter garbage.

Back
Top Bottom