The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Permabanned
Why is it always the same handful of poster who derail threads with their identity politics nonsense? This world have zero similarities with our Earth, it is a complete fantasy world, if you want to apply our Earth logic to it you've got bigger problems than some dark skinned hobbit like creatures.

So what if it's a fantasy.

GoT is a fantasy. But the pirate guy, rich guy from Quarth, Grey Worm and Danearys' #2 are all from the Summer Isle.

The Summer Isle:

"The Summer Islanders are strong and tall, a handsome people eager to learn. Their skin colour includes nut brown, teak, ebony, and polished jet"

But this? No substance, no origins, nothing. That crappy village scene is just pure vile wokeness being shoved in my face. And the worst part is, the majority of you are okay with it. Worse yet, actually defending it.

Dis has got it right. It is a total immersion killer.

Soldato
So what if it's a fantasy.

GoT is a fantasy. But the pirate guy, rich guy from Quarth, Grey Worm and Danearys' #2 are all from the Summer Isle.

The Summer Isle:

"The Summer Islanders are strong and tall, a handsome people eager to learn. Their skin colour includes nut brown, teak, ebony, and polished jet"

But this? No substance, no origins, nothing. That crappy village scene is just pure vile wokeness being shoved in my face. And the worst part is, the majority of you are okay with it. Worse yet, actually defending it.

Dis has got it right. It is a total immersion killer.

I think I can taste the salt from here.

Its a total immersion killer for those of you that live for identity politics. I'd say 90% of viewers just passed it by.

Caporegime
Went into it pretty open-minded but I thought it was poop and didn’t draw me in at all.

Only awards it will be winning is for best picture. It’s like the Crysis of the TV world.

Associate
I thought the visuals were good ( especially for a TV show ) but the story/writing was uninspired and boring. Didn't grab me at all. Looking at this from a hardcore Tolkien fan's perspective, then it's awful as so much of the established lore is ignored. If J.R.R Tolkien was still alive today ( or his son, Christopher ) there is no way he would have allowed for this show to be green-lit.

Soldato
In the lore Gandalf doesn't arrive in Middle Earth until the 3rd age, the show is set in the second age. It is possible it is one of the other Maiar - I've not checked when the others arrived.

Though Gandalf also had a similar relationship with insects for instance the moth in LOTR and an immunity to fire, the character who'd fit the best from the lore is Alatar but I don't really see his function in where they seem to be going with the story.

EDIT: Read an article which made an interesting point - if it was Gandalf it would explain why he had an affinity for Hobbits in the 3rd age, setting of the LOTR movies.

its a weird one - they are supposed to have come to middle earth at the same time, i.e. the 3rd age (according to multiple references from tolkein), but 'the peoples of middle earth' says the 2 blue wizards came in the second age - so a bit of a contradiction from tolkein.
They both came together (the blue ones, according the peoples reference) though and there's no sign of another.
i will be annoyed if its gandalf as thats quite a change from the lore - he has nothing to do with the 2nd age at all and was on Valinor at the time.

But who else it could be i don't know

Associate
its a weird one - they are supposed to have come to middle earth at the same time, i.e. the 3rd age, but 'the peoples of middle earth' says the 2 blue wizards came in the second age - so a bit of a contradiction from tolkein.
They both came together though and there's no sign of another.
i will be annoyed if its gandalf as thats quite a change from the lore - he has nothing to do with the 2nd at all and was on Valinor at the time.

One thing I wasnt sure about regarding the meteors, all the characters that saw it flying overhead were quite far apart in the world. I wasnt sure if it was supposed to be the same meteor they all saw, or if they were each seeing a different one and it was implying that multiple people crash landed in the same way as the possible Gandalf

Soldato
One thing I wasnt sure about regarding the meteors, all the characters that saw it flying overhead were quite far apart in the world. I wasnt sure if it was supposed to be the same meteor they all saw, or if they were each seeing a different one and it was implying that multiple people crash landed in the same way as the possible Gandalf
I assumed it was just the one.
i've had a thought though - he could be Glorfindel - he was sent back in the second age

Soldato
First 2 episodes felt like setup, so it’s a bit of a leap to already call the story bad. The production quality is great compared to a lot of the other poorly made CGI nightmares.

Yea, I get the idea that each group would likely be of a similar skin tone, etc. but it’s a bit insane that some people are falling to pieces over this.

Soldato
First 2 episodes felt like setup, so it’s a bit of a leap to already call the story bad. The production quality is great compared to a lot of the other poorly made CGI nightmares.

Yea, I get the idea that each group would likely be of a similar skin tone, etc. but it’s a bit insane that some people are falling to pieces over this.
Well we know why people are falling to pieces over it lmao.

Soldato
its a weird one - they are supposed to have come to middle earth at the same time, i.e. the 3rd age (according to multiple references from tolkein), but 'the peoples of middle earth' says the 2 blue wizards came in the second age - so a bit of a contradiction from tolkein.
They both came together (the blue ones, according the peoples reference) though and there's no sign of another.
i will be annoyed if its gandalf as thats quite a change from the lore - he has nothing to do with the 2nd age at all and was on Valinor at the time.

In terms of timeline we're somewhere between year 750 and year 1500

Eregion was founded in year 750, the rings aren't forged until year 1500, so somewhere in that 750 year gap is where we are in the story and over 2000 years until we reach the third age and the LOTR trilogy when supposedly the Wizards are sent to assist against Sauron, Glorfindel according to lore doesn't come back until after the one ring is forged in year 1600 either

No point trying to guess who the stranger starman is, he shouldn't be anybody from the story we already know, probably a brand new character they made up,

Soldato
I had no idea it was him until I read this thread. I think I was more focused on the main characters
It really doesnt matter that it is him as its not like he stood out.

It doesnt matter how this series goes, it could be the greatest TV Series of all time, they wont like it and theyll cling onto some absolute nonsense to claim why instead of admitting who they are.

Some minds were made up long before this aired. Minds best ignored tbh.

Associate
My only complaint is skipping all the Morgoth story, would have like to see a focus on the dark side showing Sauron's rise and betrayal of being a Maia
This would have been great, to flesh out the character Sauron, I would have certainly enjoyed it.

I will wait to pass judgement, until the end of the series. But first impressions, visually stunning for a TV show. I enjoyed the part with the dwarfs the most. My negatives, Some of the writing is uninspiring. Galadriel I can’t get on with at the moment. I will watch the rest and hope it improves.

Amazon have certainly invested in this show, unlike the wheel of time.

Back
Top Bottom