The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Man of Honour
its a weird one - they are supposed to have come to middle earth at the same time, i.e. the 3rd age (according to multiple references from tolkein), but 'the peoples of middle earth' says the 2 blue wizards came in the second age - so a bit of a contradiction from tolkein.
They both came together (the blue ones, according the peoples reference) though and there's no sign of another.
i will be annoyed if its gandalf as thats quite a change from the lore - he has nothing to do with the 2nd age at all and was on Valinor at the time.

But who else it could be i don't know

IIRC the 2 blue wizards pop up briefly around this point in time, but don't really do much - stir up a bit of dissent within the people who were allying with Morgoth or something like that - then nothing until they are sent again later.

Gandalf supposedly visited a couple of times briefly before events of the PJ movies but the inference is more early in the 3rd age rather than the era of this show but it is pretty vague and he does less than even the blue wizards - basically just sight seeing.

Caporegime
One hell of a good looking show. That's where all the money went....
Writing is flat to average. Some characters are better acted, allowed to perform more than others... I'm starting to like elrond.
I like black elf guy he certainly looks the part.
Tbh everything looks like the trilogy style world which is a solid acheivment in that respect.
I'm not a Tolkien fan, i know nothing but the few adaptations over time and the masterpiece of the trilogy, and the car crash of the Hobbit.
I don t know how much they are ruining the original work and his ideas.

With that said I don't mind the show. The racial drama and identy political stuff seems blown out of proportion as usual.
They do a fair job of stereotypes themselves with gypo hobbits with Irish accents all from the Caribbean, for some reason :p and female sparkling eye Elijah wood female new hobbit girl.

All Men seem to be idiots, all women are total Bosses. That's getting really boring......

Whatever, it is what it is.
Middle earth is now ruined for the fans as is starwars for me.
Woe is us.

Soldato
I for one am glad they spent so much on the production as my new TV is looking like a great purchase (UHD, Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos etc.). I'm entertained so that's mostly what I'm after and as I never do any research for stuff these days mainly because I just ignore mainstream media, social media blah blah blah I was properly chuffed when I realised Lenny Henry was in it playing a harfoot :)

Soldato
It's the poster boy for 8K (not sure if you can get the stream yet) haven't seen any articles on the digital effects to know if they were all done at that resolution.

some injustice for Lenny Henry here, his role in exposing racism/bigotry , promoting integration, versus his wife whose comedy is a lot gentler(five go mad excepted) ... but he recently seems to have been woken.

Soldato
People also forget that Amazon don’t have full rights to the IP so it’ll ultimately never match the book. At best it’ll be parallel fan fiction.

Associate
All Men seem to be idiots, all women are total Bosses. That's getting really boring......

Whatever, it is what it is.
Middle earth is now ruined for the fans as is starwars for me.
Woe is us.

I know what you mean, it certainly is a current trend in most tv and film. You can have a strong female character without having to follow this trend.

Soldato
From the first 2 episodes, it reminds of that extremely attractive women you spot on a night out, then you spark up a conversation and you realise while she may be an 11/10 for looks, she's a 2/10 for intelligence. Dafter than a bag of rocks, but you let it slide because she's so damn attractive.

Soldato
I know what you mean, it certainly is a current trend in most tv and film. You can have a strong female character without having to follow this trend.
What you have to understand is that these people don't actually understand what makes a character heroic or what makes a strong female lead - take any female action hero of the past 10/15 years and they are essentially a man with ****, they act like men, they have male traits, they are men for all intent and purpose. You also have the issue that they are unable to elevate their female leads based on their own merit so all men have to be subservient fools or bumbling idiots.

Take arguably the greatest female action hero ever and one of the top 5 action heroes in Ripley, if she was written today none of the traits that made her so iconic would be present. She'd be a one dimensional character with no flaws. Hell, Alien and Aliens would look completely different if they were made in current Hollywood - even the best recent example of a strong female lead from Prey isn't really a female lead per say, you could have thrown in any young male character with a 'point to prove' in her place and the film is no different.

Associate
Galadriel warrior princess?
Galadriel, described as 18,000 years old or so and literally one of the most powerful elves to have ever lived. And you find it hard to believe she knows how to wave a sword around?

Dislike it if you find the story boring or silly, fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion. But so many seem to be going way out of their way to find reasons to hate it.

Associate
What you have to understand is that these people don't actually understand what makes a character heroic or what makes a strong female lead - take any female action hero of the past 10/15 years and they are essentially a man with ****, they act like men, they have male traits, they are men for all intent and purpose. You also have the issue that they are unable to elevate their female leads based on their own merit so all men have to be subservient fools or bumbling idiots.

Take arguably the greatest female action hero ever and one of the top 5 action heroes in Ripley, if she was written today none of the traits that made her so iconic would be present. She'd be a one dimensional character with no flaws. Hell, Alien and Aliens would look completely different if they were made in current Hollywood - even the best recent example of a strong female lead from Prey isn't really a female lead per say, you could have thrown in any young male character with a 'point to prove' in her place and the film is no different.
God I can just imagine what dumpster fire the Alien series would be like, if was written in this new modern way.
I hope the this Lord of the rings series doesn’t continue this.

Soldato
Started watching this and it comes across a bit flat in terms of writing. It feels rather like a theatrical production with all the over-acting and rather tacky costumes.

Clearly a vast sum has been spent on this, but possibly in the wrong places.

Soldato
What a strange thing to highlight

Being black or bi sexual doesn't mean his opinion is somehow more important than anyone else.
If the usual people try to discredit people's valid criticism as misogynistic or racially motivated don't be surprised when people point to reviewers that go against that stereotype.

Soldato
Watched it last night, amazing they have nailed it. Finally a good Amazon show (and the boys). Couldn’t really ask for more as a LOTR fanboy.

Only problem is there was a light skinned black elf which completely ruined the show for me and pulled me out of the immersion of my white fantasy world. I refuse to watch any further. Plus Lenny Henry, he’s black and even though he plays his character really well and fits in well the fact that his skin pigment doesn’t fit into my white fantasy world it also damaged the immersion.

Reality is this is just virtue signalling diversity bullcrap and not that I’m a racist piece of poop.

Back
Top Bottom