The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Soldato
I rather enjoyed the slow pacing, it gives it a chance to breathe. I appreciate it's not to everyone's taste though.

Agree, I want to absorb as much of the world as possible. In fact was a little disappointed in the time jumps and travelling transitions. Would have liked the see them on the road a little bit, in lotr they had some great scenes just travelling.

Soldato
Tolkien's characters almost universally earn their identity and self worth by aspiring to match the heroic deeds of their ancestors, or correcting the mistakes of their ansestors. It's basically the universal theme of his world. Indeed those characters like Denethor, who see their identity and position as a birthright, are the ones who fall into ruin. In addition to that, Tolkien clearly enjoyed creating powerful female heros - a theme that was indulgently explored and celebrated with the character Eowyn.

To my mind, this interpretation's diverse casting and portrayal of Galadriel as a warrior noble are entirely appropriate and in keeping with the source material. Anyone who is criticising these things is not familiar with Tolkien's work or doesn't really understand it. They're not relevant. His works had they been written today could easily have been called "woke" as quickly as any other in today's political environment.

While not blown away by the first couple of episodes, it's certainly a beautiful presentation, perhaps a little too familiar with the Peter Jackson vision, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with that. Its a slow burner that lacks the sense of threat and urgency of LOTR. However it certainly has potential, and I'll stick with it..

V F

V F

Soldato
Agree, I want to absorb as much of the world as possible. In fact was a little disappointed in the time jumps and travelling transitions. Would have liked the see them on the road a little bit, in lotr they had some great scenes just travelling.

Don't forget the stories on their travels as well as the ones at camp fires and all the little gathering meetings.

Soldato
Enjoyed the first episode, and I wanted to watch the second straight away so that's a good sign. The race box ticking didn't bother me tbh. People are far too critical about everything these days

Man of Honour
Watched both episodes today. It was OK, looking forward to watching the rest and seeing where it goes.

Really, it just highlights how tedious of a medium drama based TV shows are. I typically can’t stand the plod. Look at all the incredible world building that Fellowship of the Ring did in the same amount of time. Not everything needs explaining. Sometimes less is actually more.

Otherwise, there is nothing I particularly dislike. The lead actress is a bit overly earnest, but that’s it (that’s a script thing rather than an acting thing).

She’s more than a thousand years old, has battled for centuries, head of the army and people are saying there’s no justification for her being a warrior - criticised for looks despite being from a race (elves) that’s known for being slight and pretty. Yeah, turn down the turbo dial with the criticism.

Man of Honour
She’s more than a thousand years old, has battled for centuries, head of the army and people are saying there’s no justification for her being a warrior

To be fair it is one aspect which isn't particularly well exposed to the viewer unless they know the lore. It kind of jumps right in there. Goes back to your point before there in some ways - there are bits they labour on which don't really need explaining and vice-versa bits that could do with more background revealed where they jump over. I was thinking myself afterwards just how much LOTR did with the same amount of time in comparison.

Man of Honour
To be fair it is one aspect which isn't particularly well exposed to the viewer unless they know the lore. It kind of jumps right in there. Goes back to your point before there in some ways - there are bits they labour on which don't really need explaining and vice-versa bits that could do with more background revealed where they jump over. I was thinking myself afterwards just how much LOTR did with the same amount of time in comparison.
Yeah her experience wasn’t overly dwelled on, but even then I picked up on all of that from the show (I’m not familiar with the lore) - OK maybe not expressly that she was over a thousand years old, think I picked that up from this thread, but definitely that she was an established fighter and had been through a lot.

Now, how she was such an elite pro swimmer… that really got me raging (j/k :p).

Caporegime
I just checked the reviews and something stood out, apart from Rotton Tomatoes, there's hardly ANY negative reviews on IDMB! It's as if everything below 6/10 isn't being allowed, whereby compared to Game of Thrones there's loads!

Are Amazon removing negative reviews through IDMB?

Soldato
I just checked the reviews and something stood out, apart from Rotton Tomatoes, there's hardly ANY negative reviews on IDMB! It's as if everything below 6/10 isn't being allowed, whereby compared to Game of Thrones there's loads!

Are Amazon removing negative reviews through IDMB?

If you look here you can see there are plenty of negative reviews...

Soldato
That's what made The Fellowship and An Unexpected Journey so good. It wasn't until 45 minutes in the journeys started and even then it was just barely beginning.

Not for me. I think if you have to leave out bits of story, so you can included more "travelling" seems wrong to me. I get it should take time, etc. But there are limits.

Soldato
I watched the first episode last night. My thoughts.

The accent of the Hobbits is wrong, it doesn't sit right with me and is off putting. Lenny Henrys part was fine, it didn't bother me. To be honest if I didn't know about the casting for the show I would not have recognised him, and even if I did later on, it would not have bothered me.
Galadriel. The actor doesn't ooze the aura/class compared Kate Blanchett in the Movies. The same applies to all the Elf characters, there isn't that mysticism about them. They also don't look like Elves from what I have seen, they look like regular folk. The movie Elves all looked the part. Good looking, soft skinned apart from the elder ones, Weaving etc. The dark skinned Elves were always in the back of my mind as from what I can remember, there weren't any. Inclusiveness aside, after a few scenes, it didn't bother me.
The sets looked spot on, sound spot on.

The water effects when Galadriel jumped over board really did my head in. it looked very amateurish and ruined what was a good episode I think a poster a page ago mentioned that about the water scene. I shall watch the second one tonight once the kids in bed.

Overall. Good 7/10

note. I was too, against all the inclusiveness when the details emerged months ago like many others. I didn't really let it get to me but I thought it would ruin the immersion. After a few minutes upon seeing these, forced? added inclusions, I didn't think about them again.

Saying that, Black Dwarf without a beard is yet to come, who knows, I may get triggered /s

D3K

D3K

Soldato
For those of you bothered about the Irish accents. Why doesn't the fact Men are always from the North of England, Dwarves are from Scotland and Elves from Buckingham Palace bother you?

Seems they were just using the only accent left out from the the British Isles...

Back
Top Bottom