The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Caporegime
Literally this bit:

They had greater physical strength, they could fight or exercise for days, they did not get sick, and quickly healed from injuries

Ah yeah! Do you have a reference for where in Tolkien's work that is?

Edit: It seems to match Glorfindel's description but is a bit bastardised. He refers to their bodies being strong in that they don't break easily. Not as in they can say bench press a tonne. Men are described as being stronger, even the men of the third age who have lost the power of Numenor.

Beren and Turin both outmatch elves physically for example.

This is from the Silmarillion;

"In those days Elves and Men were of like stature and strength of body, but the Elves had greater wisdom, and skill, and beauty"

Associate
Literally the worst scene from the trilogy only followed by Legolas's antics in the Return of the King.

I can't find or recall any description of Galadriel being physically strong. The only description I can find of strength is in describing her mental attributes.
Oh I agree, except the latter did lead to Gimli's 'that still only counts as one' which still makes me chuckle when I see it.

As for strength Tolkien wrote of her in various letters.
There are other tweets under that with more sources.

Caporegime
Oh I agree, except the latter did lead to Gimli's 'that still only counts as one' which still makes me chuckle when I see it.

As for strength Tolkien wrote of her in various letters.

That doesn't quantify her strength though, just that she's as strong as male elves. As per my bit above there's direct texts basically saying they're as strong as men. There's a reason Boromir and Aragorn do all of the heavy lifting in the LOTR whilst bloody Legolas prances about. Although curiously he's described as being incredibly strong but Boromir is supposed to be on a whole other level.

You hate lore then?

Hate? No
Allow it to get me all in a tizz? Yeah I avoid that.

I mean he wrote it as a book, well a series of mental wanderings really.
Very much unlike some modern fantasy that sets to create lore as such.

Lets not forget, Tolkien wrote this stuff as he thought we should have some myth like the Norse myths.
It was very incomplete in that regard as far as lore was concerned with much just notes on paper not coherently structured :)

V F

V F

Soldato
Viewing numbers ain't so hot for the amount of money that they have threw at this turd.

Looks purdy tho.

Viewership drop off will be fun

What kindled this TV series though? It's been 20/21 years since Lord of the Rings and 10 years since The Hobbit. I could understand jumping on the bandwagon a year or two after The Hobbit but I'm curious after all this time, why now?

Caporegime
What kindled this TV series though? It's been 20/21 years since Lord of the Rings and 10 years since The Hobbit. I could understand jumping on the bandwagon a year or two after The Hobbit but I'm curious after all this time, why now?

Amazon wanted a big name IP that they could use to promote Prime. With Game of Thrones having made fantasy the hot thing (it was initially begun in mid 2017), it was probably the obvious huge name IP to use. The choice to make a show based on a few appendices of Lord of the Rings when you don't have the rights to the material that expands on those stories is an odd one but I guess they (likely rightly) figured that a few purists being annoyed at it not being faithful to the books isn't actually much of a deal, especially when few people have actually read The Silmarillion, etc.

Man of Honour
One of the biggest problems for me I think is the use of time - there isn't much in the first 2 episodes which couldn't have been covered succinctly well inside 40 minutes and when you compare to how much the LOTR movies did with 2 hours it feels very inadequate. Given the material and budget even with the limited rights 2 hours could have been used to setup a sweeping epic or do much more in-depth with the characters.

Permabanned
I have been enjoying it, I never watched the original movies until 2020 so my head is well out of the lore.
I love the psychological story telling it does since mostly TLOTR applies to the human brain in an external setting. Each character showing different parts of our minds, not all of us are developed in all areas.
Not everyone is the same, some people are more developed in one area than another and there is a vastness of in-between too.

In fact there is a lot written on it from the same perspective: http://jungpage.org/learn/articles/...erpretation-of-tolkiens-the-lord-of-the-rings

Now Harry Potter... much more critical eye.

Humans hate change so be careful if you think your opinion is the right one, it's not.

Permabanned
Tolkien's characters almost universally earn their identity and self worth by aspiring to match the heroic deeds of their ancestors, or correcting the mistakes of their ansestors. It's basically the universal theme of his world. Indeed those characters like Denethor, who see their identity and position as a birthright, are the ones who fall into ruin. In addition to that, Tolkien clearly enjoyed creating powerful female heros - a theme that was indulgently explored and celebrated with the character Eowyn.

To my mind, this interpretation's diverse casting and portrayal of Galadriel as a warrior noble are entirely appropriate and in keeping with the source material. Anyone who is criticising these things is not familiar with Tolkien's work or doesn't really understand it. They're not relevant. His works had they been written today could easily have been called "woke" as quickly as any other in today's political environment.

While not blown away by the first couple of episodes, it's certainly a beautiful presentation, perhaps a little too familiar with the Peter Jackson vision, but I suppose there's nothing wrong with that. Its a slow burner that lacks the sense of threat and urgency of LOTR. However it certainly has potential, and I'll stick with it..
Bolded in red, which links back to my insight of it being a very well represented psychological novel in movie format, since this exists also in our world too not just this fantasy setting, I love the grounded human representation LOTR has, or that could just be a side effect of having work done by a human, we all leave our DNA imprint everywhere.

The grounding is based on a higher perception of the world or one that is also lower too it is not in the common path of the "Norm".
People who have had experiences of the darker side of life tend to either correct it or they just pass it on, nature dictates some of it and our own personality is the one who will consciously or unconsciously carry it out, either way, light or dark.

Full control of both dark and light brings balance to powers of both, the ring is just the distraction, you are always tempted by it, the good of you can soon be drowned out by the dark when you have no understanding of your darker side, and the opposite too when you are born into chaos.

Soldato
Jesus, I can't believe people are cross that Galadrial is a bit OP.
She managed to resist the One Ring, that alone suggests how powerful she was without needing to show how powerful she was

Also shame on Amazon for deleted IMDB reviews and holding back ratings for the show on Amazon, if people don't like it they should be allowed to rate it

Back
Top Bottom