The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power (Prime)

Associate
I think it’s been really good so far. Slow burner for sure but think we might get some pretty good pay off. Early seasons of GoT showed us how rewarding that can be. It absolutely looks amazing too but I think they’re doing a very good job of keeping even fans of the books guessing as to what’s going on in some places. The identity of at least two characters and other machinations with the dwarves etc.

Also I knew I recognised the elf outpost commander. Spartacus main adversary

Edit: 3 episodes in and it’s notable the volume of nonsense (here and YouTube) that preceded the show has dropped off. A lot.
Sure some concerns were valid but it was just silly how ott it got.

Soldato
It's trying to evoke the rememberberries from the more recent trilogy but it's written by a panel of agenda driven fools that value style over substance.

Everything is a call back to PJ's trilogy, but just done much worse. Some people have been totally swept away by the CGI, and to be fair a good score, to the extent that the rest of the elements being terrible simply doesn't matter to them.

Only the money on the sceen is saving this show from oblivion. The acting is absolutelty appalling in parts, the whole "go for a drink seqeunce" with Halbrand was toe-curlingly bad. As for Galadriawful and Morfydd Clark - I have never seen an actress pull so many weird and unnatural faces in a TV show before.

The episode really did have me laughing out loud in places It got worse.

Soldato
Have to say the wider shots though impressive in terms of visual language as put above I almost immediately noticed how static they were and how much duplication and/or procedural generation was used - GOT generally those kind of scenes have signs of activity.

Everything about this show is wide as an ocean and deep as a puddle.

Soldato
One one of the most damning things about this show is despite spending 1 billion dollars on it, and a whole massive chunk on that on sweeping cinematic shots and CGI all over the place, the World does not feel real. It feels like a ton of CGI sets, and then really unconvincing sets that feel small and cheap.

Jackson's world felt like ME right away, like a real lived-in World, this doesn't.

Soldato
One big thing that stood out to me this week after watching HOTD and episode 3, HOTD went nearly a full episode without Daemon saying a word but you knew what he was thinking and how he felt compared to episode 3 where it felt like being hit over the head with how characters were telling you how they felt and how they should act.

Soldato
One big thing that stood out to me this week after watching HOTD and episode 3, HOTD went nearly a full episode without Daemon saying a word but you knew what he was thinking and how he felt compared to episode 3 where it felt like being hit over the head with how characters were telling you how they felt and how they should act.

The story-telling, script, screenplay, dialogue whatever you want to call it is on a different level to ROP.

Soldato
You can see that Amazon spent a lot of money on it, just hope it lives to the expectations and that the next episodes keep up with it, slow burner for sure but think we might get some pretty good coming.

It's lived down to my expectation so far, I thought it was going to be bad but this is worse. I don't care that some the CGI looks great on my OLED because everything else is failing so badly. This has to dramatically improve to even rate as mediocre, there's a direct comparison to this show playing right now, and that's not amazing either, but it really makes ROP look bad. I'm Witcher S2 as well alongside both shows for comparison as well, and it is better than this. I'm going to also try and rewatch WOT as we go for comparison, because I can't recall it being as poor as this is either.

Soldato
It's lived down to my expectation so far, I thought it was going to be bad but this is worse. I don't care that some the CGI looks great on my OLED because everything else is failing so badly. This has to dramatically improve to even rate as mediocre, there's a direct comparison to this show playing right now, and that's not amazing either, but it really makes ROP look bad. I'm Witcher S2 as well alongside both shows for comparison as well, and it is better than this. I'm going to also try and rewatch WOT as we go for comparison, because I can't recall it being as poor as this is either.
Why are you watching something you dislike? Hell, you're probably secretly enjoying She-Hulk :cry:

fez

fez

Caporegime
One one of the most damning things about this show is despite spending 1 billion dollars on it, and a whole massive chunk on that on sweeping cinematic shots and CGI all over the place, the World does not feel real. It feels like a ton of CGI sets, and then really unconvincing sets that feel small and cheap.

Jackson's world felt like ME right away, like a real lived-in World, this doesn't.

The problem is that its trying far too hard at times. They still haven't quite figured out how to make things feel lived in. They haven't figured out that you can't just make things look dirty to make them look grubby. I don't know, its hard to explain but the scenes with the Harfoots are probably some of the best examples of it.

The whole show has me very ambivalent. It seems to suffer from a lot of the issues that Star Trek has done recently. You can't sell an idea when the people involved aren't convincing. You can't have the flagship of the Enterprise with a crew full of muppets that wouldn't last 10 minutes in the academy without breaking down to tell you about their feelings.

If you can't pull something off convincingly, don't do it.

The Harfoots being very good at "disappearing" was done really badly. The Galadriel vs the troll was done really badly. The Dwarfs come across as a bunch of immature jokes rather than a proud and stoic people.

Permabanned
The Dwardfs show great pride but also competition, they show a highly defensive attitude to their own kind based on the point that the Elf had abandoned him in the times he wanted to celebrate with him.
There is this showing of more depth to them, showing things from a different angle, it don't take away from the fact that in mission and battle they are stoic and proud.
Why would they be stoic in their own home? LOL

In fact to be honest it makes no sense that any character would be a rigid piece of wood all for the viewers incompetence of being able to see depth in characters.

Why do you need convincing? that's not the point... you are also basing it on preconceived memories destroying your own enjoyment.

Soldato
So don't have any expectations or expect the show to make any sense, or to have gopod acting, or to have a convincing plot or story, or convincing carachters, Another riff on now classic corporate defence - "It's not the shows fault, it's your fault you're not entertained"

Just shut and consume I guess.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The Dwardfs show great pride but also competition, they show a highly defensive attitude to their own kind based on the point that the Elf had abandoned him in the times he wanted to celebrate with him.
There is this showing of more depth to them, showing things from a different angle, it don't take away from the fact that in mission and battle they are stoic and proud.
Why would they be stoic in their own home? LOL

In fact to be honest it makes no sense that any character would be a rigid piece of wood all for the viewers incompetence of being able to see depth in characters.

Why do you need convincing? that's not the point... you are also basing it on preconceived memories destroying your own enjoyment.

No, he behaved like a child. He wasn't angry, he was immature and pathetic. This isn't showing depth. This is just the "depth" that **** writing likes to explore. Where characters have to be overly dramatic and performative. Where you cannot be left with even a shred of doubt as to what has happened and how you should feel about it.

Its the same thinking that gives us highly decorated and honoured elves sent to the West for their amazing service. The same Elves that were chocolate teapots in the fight against the snow troll until Galadriel tapped in and took in out in a few seconds of unconvincing action. You can't have the actions of people be completely at odds with their motivations and history without explanation.

You don't have to have someone appear completely incompetent to convey that someone else is exceptionally competent.

The dwarfs wouldn't be that pissy about Elrond not coming to his wedding or birth of his children. They didn't even suggest he knew about them so its hardly like it was a massive intentional slight against him and his people.

Permabanned
No, he behaved like a child. He wasn't angry, he was immature and pathetic. This isn't showing depth. This is just the "depth" that **** writing likes to explore. Where characters have to be overly dramatic and performative. Where you cannot be left with even a shred of doubt as to what has happened and how you should feel about it.

Its the same thinking that gives us highly decorated and honoured elves sent to the West for their amazing service. The same Elves that were chocolate teapots in the fight against the snow troll until Galadriel tapped in and took in out in a few seconds of unconvincing action.

You don't have to have someone appear completely incompetent to convey that someone else is exceptionally competent.
From my recall of the original movies, they had a sense of humour and a softer side though it would be seen by people they trusted.
The childness you assert is also not taking away from those scenes since it was a very different setting, here they are not at war with anything or anyone, just being approached randomly.
The guy only shows this level of immaturity towards that Elf too, we have no insight into how he handles everything and it is just 1 Dwarf.

Dude is a friend so trusts him but his trust was betrayed so has seen his vulnerable side anyway, showing vulnerability = childish apparently to you.

The Elves just did not believe in the pathway ahead.
They dropped their swords in hope to stop their leader, their leader never abandoned her troops though, she also was dignified.
I am sure she assessed things on her own terms, the drive for her was much deeper and more motivating since it is a personal vendetta.

Why would the Dwarves not be that pissy? Again when was this side of them shown before?

I guess you watch lots of action movies and think real life army soldiers are pure rock and stoic as F lol.

fez

fez

Caporegime
The guy only shows this level of immaturity towards that Elf too, we have no insight into how he handles everything and it is just 1 Dwarf.

No, he showed that immaturity to his entire people who also seemed to hate Elrond and treat him like the enemy... for not coming to a wedding or celebrating the birth of his children. They didn't even suggest that he had ignored invitations, just that he hadn't visited in a long time. Something which he even acknowledged was simply due to their perceptions of time differing.

Dude is a friend so trusts him but his trust was betrayed so has seen his vulnerable side anyway, showing vulnerability = childish apparently to you.

He wasn't showing vulnerability by behaving like a child towards him. He wasn't showing vulnerability by having to be treated like a child to coax out the reason he was behaving like that. In fact there was little to no vulnerability on show at all. Hes just a bit of a **** leader. His wife basically had to tell him to grow up and stop behaving like a child for gods sake.

I guess you watch lots of action movies and think real life army soldiers are pure rock and stoic as F lol.

No, I just expect better and more consistent characterisations from something with the LotR name against it. You're clearly very happy with the writing and depiction of the various races and characters. I'm not currently.

Permabanned
No, he showed that immaturity to his entire people who also seemed to hate Elrond and treat him like the enemy... for not coming to a wedding or celebrating the birth of his children. They didn't even suggest that he had ignored invitations, just that he hadn't visited in a long time. Something which he even acknowledged was simply due to their perceptions of time differing.

He wasn't showing vulnerability by behaving like a child towards him. He wasn't showing vulnerability by having to be treated like a child to coax out the reason he was behaving like that. In fact there was little to no vulnerability on show at all. Hes just a bit of a **** leader. His wife basically had to tell him to grow up and stop behaving like a child for gods sake.
Yeah it shows how closely knit the Dwarves are but also the fact that men can be silly with their feelings.
The fact that the Dwarves feel as a unit together shows the comradery between them and the close family relationship and tight bonds.

It's like you went in with an expectation of applying a different setting version of a race at a different time to what has a completely different context now in the Netflix version.
Also not being able to properly distinguish between the individual character and the whole Dwarf lot.

The fact they all are with the guy and how he leads, shows he is a leader.

We have not seen enough to see if all of them think totally alike.

Back
Top Bottom